Mikaela Osler - Colorado Trail FKT - I have my doubts

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mikaela Osler - Colorado Trail FKT - I have my doubts

Post by glenmiz »

Cancel! (or is it Resist?)
Aim high to end high
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I mean who wouldn't want to fake an FKT? Do you know how much action I get? Haterz gunna hate.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

justiner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:38 pm This is what faking an FKT looks like,

https://www.outsideonline.com/2117301/p ... st-century
Interesting! Guess we have to look more closely at your "Pfiffner" huh?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I have INDISPUTABLE photo evidence.
indisputable.jpg
indisputable.jpg (133.47 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

YESSSS! Thank you, seeing IS believing! :-D
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

justiner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:38 pm This is what faking an FKT looks like,

https://www.outsideonline.com/2117301/p ... st-century
Thanks for that rabbit hole Justin. Haha. Somehow I completely missed that story despite following Karl's run and others over the past few years.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

justiner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:16 pm I have INDISPUTABLE photo evidence.

indisputable.jpg
:lol: This made me laugh so hard! Congratulations and good work, by the way. :)
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

matt pierce wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:16 am Lots of people claim lots of s**t online - we all know that. Sometimes (rarely) things will stand out to me that I feel compelled to find out more about and even question. This is normal. I still find it hard to believe someone who admittedly doesn't like to hike at night, admittedly has a POS headlamp and loses gear as essential as a sleeping pad has this much epic experience and pulled off a CT record that in the same week shut down another female ultra-runner.

Like I stated - In the end if there's proof then that's cool - I just didn't see it and didn't want to open an account. I'll take everyone's word for it.

Side note: This guy claimed to be an epic thru-hiker too - even had tattoos for the PCT etc - not comparing - just sharing. Sometimes being skeptical is healthy.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2243621/a ... ian-hustle
it's fine to have skepticism, as long as it's informed skepticism. a lot of the "issues" you bring up are specifically addressed and refuted by the article that YOU YOURSELF posted. for example, the night hiking thing... she talks extensively in the interview about her experiences hiking at night during her FKT, something she was afraid of BEFORE this hike but knew she would have to do to have a chance at the record. makes me wonder if you even read the whole article before posting. also, courtney aborted her attempt due to a medical issue. it had nothing to do with her, or anyone else's, abilities to finish the trail in a given time.

the FKT site does extensive vetting and verifcation before confirming an FKT. that doesn't mean they can't make mistakes, but if you have doubts, there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it. posting on a public forum with a bunch of vague ideas about what you personally "believe" is or is not possible is not the right way. examine her documentation and find the anomalies to refute her claims, and then present your evidence to the site owners, if you seriously have doubts.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin