Four Pass Loop Direction

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cdgibbons
14ers: 57 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (0)

Four Pass Loop Direction

Post by cdgibbons »

I know this has been discussed at length before; curious of any additional perspective regarding the best direction for a Four Pass Loop, single-day trail run.

From what I've read here and elsewhere: it seems there is majority, but by no means unanimous, perspective that the terrain is slightly more runable when going clockwise; the chance to cool off and get water at Snowmass Lake in the hottest part of the day seems to favor clockwise; it seems like the views/photo options are better counterclockwise (Buckskin Pass near sunrise looking west to Snowmass and Capitol, Snowmass Lake in the morning, view back east to the Bells later in the day).

Other thoughts?
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Four Pass Loop Direction

Post by pbakwin »

I prefer CCW. That way you don’t drop much between the last 2 passes, and the run out is relatively cruiser vs running down from Buckskin. I’ve always found tons of water on that loop, no problem there, though this seems to be a dry year.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

In 2 days, I prefer clockwise. In 3, I prefer ccw, and in 4, I prefer cw. I have never done it in a single day, but if I did, I would do it ccw for the reasons pbakwin stated.
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

I've run 4 Pass in a day 3 different times- once CW, twice CCW. I much prefer CCW. It gets the 2 steep climbs out of the way first, the last 2 passes are quick and the final descent is easier. Going CW, the climb up Trail Rider is a kick in the nards and is steeper than any climb the opposite direction. I also found the Buckskin climb going CW to be tough that far into the loop.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I've only gone CCW. Also +1 on water (streams) generally available throughout, so that didn't influence my decision. I would probably do the same, it just seemed nice that way and it's nice to compare known efforts/time estimates. Have fun!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I did it in a day from Lead King Basin in a Clockwise direction. I think that was best from Lead King. Knowing the route, if I were to do it again from the Maroon Bells parking lot, definitely Counter Clockwise. Get Buckskin out of the way early. The descent of Buckskin, in the clockwise direction, even early in the day when I did it, was the least fun part of the day. Doing that last would suck. The descent from West Maroon back to the Maroon Bells parking lot is perfect after a long day. Easy grade, sun at your back. It would be a BIG mistake to go clockwise from Maroon Bells parking lot.

Summary:

Starting at Lead King: Go Clockwise

Starting at Maroon Bells: Go CounterClockwise
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

I've done it as a 4 day backpack and a 1 day trail run both clockwise. I like doing it that way because Trail Rider is hard and then rewards you with views of Snowmass Lake. Buckskin then is an effort but not too bad. I was able to jog down to the TH from there. I'd like to try ccw though sometime. Seems like Buckskin would be hardest and cut out the steep ascent of Trail Rider.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
cdgibbons
14ers: 57 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cdgibbons »

Thank you all for the input. CCW it is.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

jerseybrian wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21 pm I've done it as a 4 day backpack and a 1 day trail run both clockwise. I like doing it that way because Trail Rider is hard and then rewards you with views of Snowmass Lake. Buckskin then is an effort but not too bad. I was able to jog down to the TH from there. I'd like to try ccw though sometime. Seems like Buckskin would be hardest and cut out the steep ascent of Trail Rider.
A thought on Trail Rider Pass. Up from the west side would be awful. I avoided that when I did the clockwise by hiking up to Geneva Lake and then up to the pass from there. A nice variation. I have gone down the west side of Trail Rider Pass a couple times from climbing Snowmass and I think next time I will take the Lake Geneva route to avoid that.

Hard to say which is worse, West side of Trail Rider or the South side of Buckskin, but they are the two that stand out in my memory. Going up the East side of Trail Rider is actually really nice. Easy grade, beautiful views. Jerseybrain has convinced me more than ever counterclockwise from Maroon Bells is the only way to go.

Good choice cdgibbons
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:52 pm
Hard to say which is worse, West side of Trail Rider or the South side of Buckskin, but they are the two that stand out in my memory. Going up the East side of Trail Rider is actually really nice. Easy grade, beautiful views. Jerseybrain has convinced me more than ever counterclockwise from Maroon Bells is the only way to go.

Good choice cdgibbons
I guess I just like to challenge myself more than make it easier haha. I also think the Long's duathlon is fun so maybe I have a different viewpoint on what is fun. I know backpacking cw is ideal because Buckskin with a full pack would be harder than West Maroon. I'd like to try ccw as a trail run though. Probably get a lot better time than cw. It's a fun loop regardless.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs