Birds: Interesting and Returning

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Birds: Interesting and Returning

Post by greenonion »

I dare anyone to turn this into a virus or political spew. Never mind, many are plenty capable of that, but we don't need it in a post intended to provide good and interesting news...

We live in SLC, UT, and this morning we just saw our first returning Lazuli Bunting! Male Lazulis have beautiful blue heads and backs, with a white chest/belly and orange bib. Wings are sparrow-like. Females are more light tan in general and beautiful in a whole different way. These birds usually arrive back here in April/May and leave again for southern Mexico in Aug/Sep. We try to guess the date when we see our first one, and today was one of my family's pick, so nailed it! A neighbor recently informed that they saw their first hummingbird last week. This is wonderful news to us, especially right now! Just had a Cooper's Hawk fly into and out the backyard yesterday (might have been a Sharpie though).

So, what have you seen, are waiting for, or anything else interesting in terms of birds? No rules or guidelines here, just nudging the bird lovers out there while celebrating a little bit of good news. :-D \:D/
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Birds: Interesting and Returning

Post by TaylorHolt »

My family just reported their first hummingbird sighting of the season as well two days ago in the Buena Vista area! Most likely a broad-tailed hummer.

I saw a double-crested cormorant on a run last week in north Denver. Didn't realize we had cormorants in Colorado.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hey Stu!

So I'll confess I'm not a bird-o-phile (so what is the correct name?). But I obviously know the basic ones, eg Bald Eagles, which I see frequently on river trips.

But I had an interesting encounter Sunday. I went out for my weekly 47 mile bike ride, and as I was going down a bike path (to connect to the highway I ride) I noticed a small bird pacing me, just out of reach. Funny, I thought. Then it became obvious it wanted to play, zooming from one side to the other, just ahead, just to the side, just out of reach. Really intentional conduct. This went on for about a full minute at 15-20 mph. Really funny, it finally lost interest and left. Not sure what sort of bird it was. About the size of a wren, but a bit longer and definitely sleeker, built for speed. Tan body, but some red/yellow coloring around the upper chest/neck. Any ideas on an ID?

-Tom
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

Got a loquacious barn owl couple nesting in my blue spruce trees; they seem to have a lot to excitedly discuss at all hours of the day. Also a pair of Canadian geese have returned for their annual vacay.... they wander the dirt roads of my neighborhood in the evenings. Plenty of flickers flitting from trees and pecking on conifers. O:)
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

This morning, I looked out my upper floor window and saw a BIG owl flying straight at me!

Better still was that he was being chased and harassed by 6 or 7 ravens in hot pursuit. The owl clearly made a mistake of some kind and ravens don't take any s**t. He had really wide eyes. :)
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

White Pelicans have arrived in Fort Collins. Some years we don't see any so it's a nice treat.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Last season, had a pair of red tailed hawks nesting in the pine trees in the woods behind my property here in St. Paul MN.
They reared offspring as I could hear them shrieking for food from the parents, but I couldn't see the nest, but could only see them when they took flight.
Later in the season, the young would venture farther and farther from the nest judged by the loudness of their food shrieks. This went on all summer.
Eventually around August I didn't hear them anymore.
Just last week, I saw another pair circling overhead, hoping it is the same pair gonna try it again this season.

The spring migration has begun, with Myrtle Warblers and Brown Creepers already spotted this season in my backyard with more to come. :)
I gotta get me an Avatar.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

i've started seeing my favourite little friend in the yard, the curve-billed thrasher. they always seem to be quite tolerant of me. and, of course, the roadrunners are always out and about intimidating everyone else.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

last year hummingbirds nested in my carport. I read the nests are fragile and not reused, but this one held up just fine over the winter and I wonder if they will come back.
IMG_9663[1].JPG
IMG_9663[1].JPG (69.23 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 am
So I'll confess I'm not a bird-o-phile (so what is the correct name?).
ornithologist. :)
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

shelly+ wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm
I believe that would be an orniphile. An ornithologist would be someone who studies birds.

Also, since someone asked me to turn this into a political discussion I'll just leave this little link here which talks about how billions of birds have disappeared from the continent in the last 50 years. Probable culprits involve loss of habitat, pesticides, collapsing insect populations due to pesticides, high wire electrical grids, and global warming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... a.amp.html
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

shelly+ wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm
Oh! Just like the doc that put on my kids braces! Wow...they have so many talents! :lol:

-Tom