Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers:summits41 winter7 
13ers:summits12 winter1 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Post by XterraRob » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:42 am

Any recent news about the status of Utah? Hoping to hit some spots in the South this weekend.
Restore the Balance: Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into Colorado
RIP - M56
osprey
14ers:summits48 winter14 
13ers:summits100 winter19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by osprey » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Carbon and Emery Counties have lifted their restrictions on camping and overnight lodging.
Grand County is still restricted to county residents.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl
Ptglhs
14ers:summits58 winter8 
13ers:summits73 winter3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:59 pm

osprey wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:22 pm
Carbon and Emery Counties have lifted their restrictions on camping and overnight lodging.
Any info on Duchense?
osprey
14ers:summits48 winter14 
13ers:summits100 winter19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by osprey » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:27 pm

I do not have knowledge on Duchense County.
Sorry.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl
Scott P
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits40 winter12 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:59 pm
osprey wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:22 pm
Any info on Duchense?
Where in Duchene are you headed? Most people head to the Uintas and lakes. The lakes are all frozen and the mountains buried in snow.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Scott P wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:52 pm
Where in Duchene are you headed? Most people head to the Uintas and lakes. The lakes are all frozen and the mountains buried in snow.
Kings Peak is on my to do list this summer if my work is still shut down. I might try to push it to late-spring. Given our respective Peak lists I think we're both fully capable of doing Alpine ascents in snowy spring conditions.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:56 pm
Scott P wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:52 pm
Kings Peak is on my to do list this summer if my work is still shut down. I might try to push it to late-spring. Given our respective Peak lists I think we're both fully capable of doing Alpine ascents in snowy spring conditions.
I don't doubt that you could do it; I'm just thinking that because almost no hikers, climbers, or fishermen go to Duchene County this time of year, they probably haven't bothered with restrictions. I can't find any at least.

PS, which route will you be taking from Duchene County that time of year? Kings Peak is barely in Duchene County, but very few approach it from the Duchene County side. I'm sure you already know this, but most people come from the north and Summit County. Summit County is indeed under a stay at home order, so I can see why you are looking at the Duchene County approach.

The two best routes to climb it from the Duchene County approach will be from Center Park or the Uinta River. Neither road will be open anytime soon. Those roads don't get plowed.

I think you could get within four miles or so of the Swift Creek Trailhead since there's a tiny hydro plant there. There are two pretty good routes up Kings Peak from that trailhead. You can go up to the Swift Creek Basin and climb the Kings Emmons Ridge, and follow the Ridge to Kings, climbing several 13ers along the way. You could also go to Swift Creek Basin, over Bluebell Pass, and follow the basins to the north to Anderson Pass. There isn't any trail, but it's just miles and miles of beautiful meadows with easy walking (at least in summer).

From the Duchene County side, the route I would not recommend is the trail following the Yellowstone River. It looks like the shortest route on the map, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. You get no views at all until you are almost to Anderson Pass. That's almost 20 miles each way. The trail could be really problematic with high water in spring as well.

If you approach Kings from the Duchene County side in spring, I'd strongly recommend that you use one of the routes from Swift Creek mentioned above.

Once the roads open (not until summer), Center Park and the Uinta River are the best routes, at least if you only head for Kings.
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Scott P wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:14 pm

PS, which route will you be taking from Duchene County that time of year? Kings Peak is barely in Duchene County, but very few approach it from the Duchene County side. I'm sure you already know this, but most people come from the north and Summit County. Summit County is indeed under a stay at home order, so I can see why you are looking at the Duchene County approach.

I think you could get within four miles or so of the Swift Creek Trailhead since there's a tiny hydro plant there. There are two pretty good routes up Kings Peak from that trailhead. You can go up to the Swift Creek Basin and climb the Kings Emmons Ridge, and follow the Ridge to Kings, climbing several 13ers along the way. You could also go to Swift Creek Basin, over Bluebell Pass, and follow the basins to the north to Anderson Pass. There isn't any trail, but it's just miles and miles of beautiful meadows with easy walking (at least in summer).

From the Duchene County side, the route I would not recommend is the trail following the Yellowstone River. It looks like the shortest route on the map, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. You get no views at all until you are almost to Anderson Pass. That's almost 20 miles each way. The trail could be really problematic with high water in spring as well.

If you approach Kings from the Duchene County side in spring, I'd strongly recommend that you use one of the routes from Swift Creek mentioned above.
Based on my reading on Summit post I was looking at taking a very similar route to to what you, and they, describe. The idea was to hike up Swift Creek to Farmers Lake, head over Bluebell pass and hike to milk Lake. I set up camp there the first night and from there I'd either try to hug a contour line and go cross-country over the fields, or follow the trail down to the Yellowstone Trail North to the Highline Trail and East to Anderson pass and approach Kings from the north. The few ranked and unranked thirteeners south-southeast of Kings look a little bit more difficult than what I would like to do in the backcountry in the spring. Also, a lot of them aren't ranked, and I don't know that I'm trying to do every 13er in the lower 49, just trying to knock off a state High Point here and there. UT and NV are happening this summer. We'll see if I can swing another 10 days to do WY and MT.

This wouldn't be til the end of May at the earliest. If the Summit restrictions have lifted by then I may just midweek the standard route in a light and fast day, or hike a few miles in for an overnight. I think I could do Swift Creek route in 3 days, assuming I can drive to the campground. Since I have CO plates I want to avoid parking in a closed to visitors county in a another state.

Since you seem to know a lot about this if you can give me any recommendations for the other thirteeners near Kings Peak that would be accessible in a 4 day trip and below an easy class 3 scramble I'm happy to hear them.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:12 pm
Based on my reading on Summit post I was looking at taking a very similar route to to what you, and they, describe.
I'm the one that wrote the Summitpost info. It isn't super detailed, but you shouldn't need any more detail than that.
The idea was to hike up Swift Creek to Farmers Lake, head over Bluebell pass and hike to milk Lake.
Nice place.
I set up camp there the first night and from there I'd either try to hug a contour line and go cross-country over the fields, or follow the trail down to the Yellowstone Trail North to the Highline Trail and East to Anderson pass and approach Kings from the north.
If you are going to Milk Lake, Definitely do the cross country route rather than dropping to the Yellowstone Trail. It's a lot more scenic and pleasant and is faster, despite the lack of trail. The high route is very scenic. The Yellowstone Trail along the river is the 2nd least scenic route in the entire range and wilderness area. It's gets a lot of horse use, but a lot hikers try to avoid it because of this (it is doubtful that either will be using it in may. The horses make a lot of mucky places on that trail too. Not recommended.
This wouldn't be til the end of May at the earliest.

The Swift Creek and Uinta River Trailheads should be open by then. Center Park won't open until mid June at the earliest and sometimes not until July.
I think I could do Swift Creek route in 3 days, assuming I can drive to the campground.
You would have to move fast to do it in three days, but it should be doable if you are fast. Even in summer it would be a long three days.
Since I have CO plates I want to avoid parking in a closed to visitors county in a another state.
I can't promise anything, but I doubt you would have a problem there early season. You probably wouldn't see anyone at all (possibly a few on Memorial Day weekend). Plus, Duchene is an oil and gas town where Colorado plates are commonplace.
Since you seem to know a lot about this if you can give me any recommendations for the other thirteeners near Kings Peak that would be accessible in a 4 day trip and below an easy class 3 scramble I'm happy to hear them.
You can hit the entire Kings Emmons Ridge from Anderson Pass to Mount Emmons. It isn't that hard of a ridge, but it is long. You don't have to go all the way to Mt Emmons though before dropping into Swift Creek Basin.

Personally I think the Uinta River Route (trailhead should be open by late May) is a bit more scenic than Swift Creek, but the cross country route from Milk Lake to Anderson Pass is really beautiful and it is seldom travelled so that route is also good. Both would be great routes. Just don't use the trail up the Yellowstone River. I think I mentioned that a few times though. :-D
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Scott P wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:35 pm
I'm the one that wrote the Summitpost info. It isn't super detailed, but you shouldn't need any more detail than that.
That's really interesting about the Summit post. I didn't realize that you are the author! I had read that a while ago and thought it sounded like an interesting route to do. I really appreciate all the information on the Emmons Ridge. I'll let you know if I end up heading out there late this spring.
peter303
14ers:summits34 
13ers:summits12 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:32 am

Moab is half open for Memorial Day.

https://www.discovermoab.com/covid-19/

National Parks open May 29. No date for camping.
peter303
14ers:summits34 
13ers:summits12 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:51 am

Utah doesnt sound too safe to visit

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/10/17 ... l-capacity

Ran out of ICU beds.