Ballot for Reintroduction of Wolves

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the mountains in Colorado?

Yes
51%
No
41%
Undecided
8%

Total votes: 249
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Ballot for Reintroduction of Wolves

Post by Wentzl »

I am guessing that most users here know that there are currently petitions being circulated to put a ballot initiative into the 2020 election that would start a program to reintroduce wolves in Colorado. Here is a short article discussing the topic.

https://www.krcc.org/post/wolf-reintrod ... k-colorado

I am inclined to think this is a bad idea, but haven't made my mind up yet.

My reason for leaning against the idea is selfish. I don't want to confront a wolf pack in the wild.

I left the poll responses just bare bones, hoping folks will elaborate a bit more for the reasons behind the response.
Last edited by Wentzl on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ballot for Reintroduction of Wolves

Post by Cide »

I just haven't read reasoning on why reintroduction would be such a huge boon/detraction to the state other than "deer control" and "this was their land" and I haven't read anything else besides "rancher's livelihoods are at risk" and "deer control too far". Looking for more possible outcomes and reasons myself.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

I would be more concerned about a mountain lion attacking me than a pack of wolves attacking me.
At least you will probably know the wolves are coming. Not so with a surprise attack by a mountain lion.
Voted yes, but I also love wolves.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Voted yes but I like all wildlife. I’m not sure how much danger there is to humans as I can’t recall the last confirmed attack in North America. Seems like a runner was killed in Alaska a few years back but it was never proven wolves did it. Coyotes are probably as much a threat to people. Ranchers will just block it like they block everything. And if they don’t block it they’ll shoot every wolf on sight like poor M56.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

XterraRob wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm Grizzly Bears and Wolves need to be reintroduced into the wild to help cull the Californian immigrant population.
The only benefit of wolves Rob. Unfortunately, reality is that wolves would severely cull the deer, elk, and moose populations in CO. Before wolves were released in the Yellowstone area, the elk population was estimated at about 19,000. Ten years later the elk population was less than 5000. In Idaho, the Lolo region went from 13,000 elk in 1994 to less than 2000 in 2016. Wolves are killing machines, they have decimated Shiras moose populations from 50 to 90% throughout the northern Rockies.

Colorado is not un-populated Yellowstone! Way more people in the back country of CO than in Yellowstone. There will be wolf-human conflicts if it were to take place. Wolves will NOT stay in wilderness areas, or just on Forest Service land, or even just on the West Slope. Wolves will travel anywhere they damn well please and eat whatever they damn well want. Wolves see other canines as competition. They don't hesitate killing livestock and pets.

Backers of releasing wolves in CO say it's to "restore balance to the ecosystem" and spin the image of wolves as just big cuddly dogs. And people believe that BS! I very much prefer the current balance that strives to maintain and improve habitat for and populations of deer, elk, and moose in Colorado, not wipe them out through uncontrolled predation by wolves. I sure hope the majority of voters also prefer the balance just as it is. I'm just not optimistic that will be the case.
Cygnus X1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm Voted yes but I like all wildlife. I’m not sure how much danger there is to humans as I can’t recall the last confirmed attack in North America. Seems like a runner was killed in Alaska a few years back but it was never proven wolves did it. Coyotes are probably as much a threat to people. Ranchers will just block it like they block everything. And if they don’t block it they’ll shoot every wolf on sight like poor M56.
August attack in Canada.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fa ... d-n1043071
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Cygnus X1 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 pm and spin the image of wolves as just big cuddly dogs. And people believe that BS.
You mean, as opposed to someone claiming they are bloodthirsty, ravenous killers posing a threat to kids, doggies, and kittens?

Would you care to corroborate your elk and moose claims with actual data? I'd be interested to see it...
Cygnus X1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:41 pm
Cygnus X1 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 pm and spin the image of wolves as just big cuddly dogs. And people believe that BS.
You mean, as opposed to someone claiming they are bloodthirsty, ravenous killers posing a threat to kids, doggies, and kittens?

Would you care to corroborate your elk and moose claims with actual data? I'd be interested to see it...
Yellowstone elk population:
https://missoulian.com/news/local/years ... 0fc93.html

Lolo elk population:
https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoor ... erd-break/

Moose impact:
http://www.montanaoutdoor.com/2017/02/d ... ern-moose/
https://wildlife.utah.gov/wolf/pdf/utah ... 018-12.pdf (map on pg 11)
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Cygnus X1 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 pm
XterraRob wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm Grizzly Bears and Wolves need to be reintroduced into the wild to help cull the Californian immigrant population.
Unfortunately, reality is that wolves would severely cull the deer, elk, and moose populations in CO. Before wolves were released in the Yellowstone area, the elk population was estimated at about 19,000. Ten years later the elk population was less than 5000. In Idaho, the Lolo region went from 13,000 elk in 1994 to less than 2000 in 2016. Wolves are killing machines, they have decimated Shiras moose populations from 50 to 90% throughout the northern Rockies.
I cannot speak to your presupposition about the sharp decline in ungulates. But I'm reminded of this video from some time ago about the effects of reintroduction of wolves in Yellowstone:

Not sure how I feel about reintroduction. Our higher population density is a concern.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

+Like

Other benefits I have heard include:
-Elk overrun Rocky Mountain Park at triple carrying capacity. The park has fenced off areas to prevent total loss of vegetation from hungry elk. An alternative to allow elk hunts inside the park, which is occasionally done.
-Beavers have returned to Yellowstone after wolf reintroduction. Their elk most of the willows that also sustain beaver.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

If this passes we'll need to add another section header on the website:

Pack status:
2019-11-07 The pack just ate 3 Californians, that should tide them over through the weekend - get your summit attempt in before they get hungry again!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I say we introduce them in Leadville
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake