Railyard Leadville construction

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Re: Railyard Leadville construction

Post by Tony1 »

A few comments -

I'm not sure how we have all the negatives with none of the positives of being in the mountains? For one, it's sunny all the time like anywhere else. It's not nearly as cold as Alamosa or Gunnison in the winter, and not nearly as hot as Vail in the summer. I can go on a trail run in the forest from my front door and I live in the middle of town. Backcountry access is easy. The grid makes it super bike-friendly - I can bike to the grocery store easily, much easier than when I lived in Avon and immensely easier than in Silverthorne. Actually it reminds me of being in Boulder again with how easy it is to get around town without a car...is that a negative? I don't think the Safeway smells like fish either, but I know before the renovation it was a sad grocery store. I don't have any complaints about it now except for the fact that they run out of brussels sprouts too quickly.

This isn't the Leadville of the 90s anymore, much to the detriment of some of the old-timers here (which boggles my mind, but whatever).

An increasing population will do us good. Leadville had 15,000 people when it was incorporated. I don't think we need quite that many, but some growth is welcome. I think people either come from afar or are spilled over from Summit/Eagle (guilty) and realize it's a good place to stay. I will say, however, that I'd prefer to see houses going up on the empty lots within the city grid than having a whole new neighborhood constructed, but I know that developers like their large plots of empty land.

And I'm sure as climate change progresses we'll see some people come up to escape the heat of lower elevations. :mrgreen:

Edit: Also the location is pretty hard to beat, in my opinion. Near I-70 without having to be on it; smack dab between Aspen, Vail, Breck, BV; the rugged northern Sawatch is right there; the top of a valley is an easier location to defend in the event of a zombie apocalypse; the wide valley means the sun doesn't set at 2pm in the winter (looking at you Frisco, Breck) but the views are still good.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

summitrunner wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:31 am
nunns wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:18 am
TravelingMatt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 pm Is this the construction site sort of opposite the Safeway? Looked big enough for a Walmart.

I dunno about luxury condos in Leadville. Leadville has all the bad things about being in the high mountains without any of the good things.
+1, IMO. Other than a small degree of charm that comes from its history, I don't know why anyone likes this place.

Sean Nunn
I love it here so much. I'm so invested in the future of this community. It is a unique place. It is not for everyone, it has its challenges, but it is a neat place. I don't think I'll see you in the woods up here but if I do, I'll help you with finding your way, offer you a gel, and let you buy me a beer.
In my opinion Leadville is one of the most endearing towns in Colorado, keep in mind this is coming from someone who just passes through a few times a year. Its kind of ugly, kind of old, and definitely not like most of the tourist happy towns which is why I find it so charming. Its like a living history museum combined with an outdoor recreation center. I haven't been everywhere but Leadville and Salida are great places. Salida is just like any town its size except its located in a wonderful place and doesn't carry with it the touristy-flighty feel I get from most of the other mountain havens.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

Tony1 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:24 am Backcountry access is easy.
Careful, you're about to hear from some lawyers
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

nunns wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 am
justiner wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:45 am My heart to Leadville, I love that place. It's weird and ugly.
I definitely agree with the last sentence. :) How about the whole painted words on the rocks in multiple colors when you come into town? It meets both criteria.

Sean Nunn
It is no longer there and replaced with the Railyard development. Maybe give Leadville another try...
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

nunns wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:18 am
TravelingMatt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 pm Is this the construction site sort of opposite the Safeway? Looked big enough for a Walmart.

I dunno about luxury condos in Leadville. Leadville has all the bad things about being in the high mountains without any of the good things.
+1, IMO. Other than a small degree of charm that comes from its history, I don't know why anyone likes this place.

Sean Nunn
Well, it’s no midwestern suburb, that’s for sure.

I’d happily live there and hope it doesn’t change too much, ala BV and Salida (last 5-10 years) and Frisco before them.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

NEVER FORGET WHERE YOU'RE FROM
2015-07-12_1027904738522532403.jpg
2015-07-12_1027904738522532403.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Leadville is a Superfund dump I go far out of my way just to avoid driving through it. Glad you folks who live there like it. It does seem to have nice trail systems though mountain biking and Nordic skiing are tough at 10,000 feet. I thought Leadville was where the housekeeping staff and concrete workers for Vail and Summit live 10 to a single wide.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 pm Leadville is a Superfund dump I go far out of my way just to avoid driving through it. Glad you folks who live there like it. It does seem to have nice trail systems though mountain biking and Nordic skiing are tough at 10,000 feet. I thought Leadville was where the housekeeping staff and concrete workers for Vail and Summit live 10 to a single wide.
It's really not too tough if you aren't weak.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

I’ll be a bit of a naysayer - I see people live in the housing and use it as a short term rental and profit-maker. Could be wrong, but housing development screams outside dollars and investment money, not community and growth.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
MaxKugel
14ers: 15  3 
13ers: 61 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MaxKugel »

Leadville is an awesome town, one that I am happy I was able to call home for a while. To those of you that seem to take issue with its rough around the edges qualities, don't worry....it will be an extension of Summit County within the next ten years, with all of the amenities and less "methed out hippies."
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

madbuck wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:20 pmI’d happily live there and hope it doesn’t change too much, ala BV and Salida (last 5-10 years) and Frisco before them.
I haven't been to Byoona Vista in a few years, but I was sad last time to see the new ticky-tacky houses being built down by the river. I think Leadville will change less, given the rougher climate and distance to the nearest ski lift.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

seano wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am ...and distance to the nearest ski lift.
Leadville is 15 minutes to Cooper, 30 minutes to Copper...Salida is 30 minutes to Monarch...BV is 45-60 minutes to a ski lift...Leadville is closer to a chairlift than Silverthorne is!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE