Railyard Leadville construction

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Railyard Leadville construction

Post by summitrunner »

nunns wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:18 am
TravelingMatt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 pm Is this the construction site sort of opposite the Safeway? Looked big enough for a Walmart.

I dunno about luxury condos in Leadville. Leadville has all the bad things about being in the high mountains without any of the good things.
+1, IMO. Other than a small degree of charm that comes from its history, I don't know why anyone likes this place.

Sean Nunn
I love it here so much. I'm so invested in the future of this community. It is a unique place. It is not for everyone, it has its challenges, but it is a neat place. I don't think I'll see you in the woods up here but if I do, I'll help you with finding your way, offer you a gel, and let you buy me a beer.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

summitrunner - what is your favorite place to eat in leadville?
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:52 am summitrunner - what is your favorite place to eat in leadville?
Treeline
High Mountain Pies
Casa Sanchez
Buchi
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
LynnKH
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LynnKH »

I guess summitrunner and I are going to continue to enjoy our awesome community along with its high & quiet trails.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

LynnKH wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:13 am I guess summitrunner and I are going to continue to enjoy our awesome community along with its high & quiet trails.
Seems like hundreds of new housing units along with thousands of new residents will probably impact that solitude... NTTAWWT. :mrgreen:
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

My heart to Leadville, I love that place. It's weird and ugly.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

dontbugme wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am<snip>
With global warming ... boomers will be retiring there.
Just what Leadville needs. :mrgreen:
Ptglhs
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

summitrunner wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:25 am ...
I'm getting my information from the year-and-a-half I lived in Leadville, from the year I worked at the mine, from the book I read about the history of the Mine, from the news articles about employment and Taxation, and from census data.

I was specifically commenting on the tax base in Lake County. Not Summit, or Eagle.
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak200 »

Looks like a big improvement to the nasty pile of rock
And debris left by the mining community. Why not
Rebuild that area what an eyesore that whole section
Was.
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Reading the reports, I think it took a few things: foreign money to invest in it, the city running sewage lines to the property, and annexing the land into the city proper.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

justiner wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:45 am My heart to Leadville, I love that place. It's weird and ugly.
I definitely agree with the last sentence. :) How about the whole painted words on the rocks in multiple colors when you come into town? It meets both criteria.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

summitrunner wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:25 am the City of Leadville is prepared to go full bedroom community/tourism based economy. It is already there with the mine in a supporting role, plans are in place, and it won't be the 1980s.
I actually know the AmeriCorps VISTA that was brought in to “change the economy” with zero guidance from the city. A very young undergrad with no background in economics, housing development or tourism. I’d be interested in reading the plan.

It seems like the race series is what keeps the town going.
Last edited by angry on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.