14ers and Total Knee Replacement

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ecarl65
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14ers and Total Knee Replacement

Post by ecarl65 »

peter303 wrote:Jon Fielder mentioned in a talk this winter that he has had three joint replacements. And he is out skiing and hiking all overbthe mountains.

https://www.denverpost.com/2011/03/17/d ... n-fielder/
That's awe-inspiring! So encouraging, thank you so much!
ecarl65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ecarl65 »

Ron McFarland wrote:Have you had someone discuss the reports from MRI & X- Rays with you - this is not rocket science - a really good source for this is Dr. Yani Zinnis at Colorado Ortho at Rose Medical - he is not a surgeon, which means he looks for other ways to keep you going. Seems odd that no one can tell you the mechanical status of knee joint with you and help create a management plan- there is a solution waiting to be found
I apologize for my inadequacy in talking about this, I'm so close to the issue and it's been so chronic that it's hard to distill down. I guess the best way to express it is there are some things that seem to be typical problems having to do with osteoarthritis in my knee to some degree. Those things I read about in the MRI report and talk about with the doctors. But when I ask about the other odd anatomical and other issues going on they are kind of stumped, and just fall back to the "it must be typical stuff" lines.

I hate to say this, as everyone thinks they're special. But I really have had a series of unusual and unique problems, with my knees and elsewhere in the body. And things that are verified by CT scans and aren't just psychosomatic. So, I guess I'm just kind of perplexed. The doctors all have limited time and I usually can only get out a few questions, with not-very-satisfactory answers, before I'm kind of pushed out the door. I don't know what to do about it. I'm considering signing up for https://www.crowdmed.com and seeing if they have any more insight. I feel like I need a fantastic diagnostician who's seen it all, so to speak. An orthopedic Dr. House. :-D
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I just saw this thread and boy do I have a lot of information to share! I'm 34 years old and having a total knee replacement (9th surgery on that knee) one week from today in Utah. I've been dealing with one of the most complicated knee injuries that my team of coast-to-coast doctors have ever seen. I'll reply more tonight with my opinions and knowledge if you'd like.

But for now and if you're interested, here is something I wrote a little while ago about my 5-year and counting horrific knee injury that you can hopefully find something useful from: Embracing Defeat
Last edited by USAKeller on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecarl65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ecarl65 »

Yes, I'm VERY interested! Either post here or even a PM, whichever you prefer. I'll read that post as well and comment. Thanks.
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

thanks for posting. I'm also 40 and have a feeling I will be a candidate for this at some point. but first my shoulders... as the doc and my fiancee and mom like to tell me over and over, I've been a bit hard on my body for being 40.
barbiesue53
14ers: 11 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (4)

Post by barbiesue53 »

I totally agree with PT, lots of PT. I'm 64, had a TKR one year ago in March '17. My last descent in Aug '16 was so painful, my knee gave out, I fell along side the trail one mile from my truck. I was pissed off, feeling sorry for myself, trying to figure out that last mile. Don't get there!! Yes, at 40 ortho is a little reluctant to do a TKR, but there are a lot of good options yet. #1 is PT and a PT that understands what you need your knee to do. #2. Injections....cortisone, Kenalog, OrthoVisc, SynviscOne. If eligible for this treatment talk to your dr about pro's and con's of either. Before my TKR I had injection for about 3 yrs. They worked great at the beginning, but eventually that healing got shorter between injections. I was lucky to have a PT provider that spent most his career treating professional sport players. He knew where my knee needed to take me again. 4 mo post TKR I hiked Mt. Ida RMNP. One of the best moments for my head, knowing I can get back out there.
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

I have a tall 66 year-old hiking partner that has both knees replaced. He is an accomplished ice and rock climber, and hiked over 372K vertical feet last year. Among our hikes together includes a 17 mile with 4500 vertical. He has a brisk pace and our stops are only for gear adjustments or taking in views. He’s taken me up and down some pretty steep and loose terrain. His 14er count is in the 40s and we’ve done 13ers together. What I’m saying is I’ve witnessed that it is possible.
ecarl65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ecarl65 »

Thanks again for all the replies. There are some encouraging stories and accounts here. I don't know what the norm is, but even just hearing that it's within the realm of possibility to hike after a knee replacement is encouraging. I'm in a bit of a dark spot, hiking and biking are like my religions. Now my knee is in such a bad state that it's hard just coping with the daily swelling, pain, redness, let alone thinking about getting out there again. But knowing that someday I might be able to get a replacement and find improvement and hope in all those areas makes a big difference.

I'm on vacation now, and every time I see someone jogging like it's no big deal, going for a road ride, etc. it brings a pang of jealousy and remorse. But I know I can't be the only one around here sidelined with chronic injuries and pain. I'm seriously considering starting a support group or a non-profit (or both) where we can get together and commiserate and try to help each other find other passions in life. At the moment I'm thinking of taking up kayaking and maybe motorcycling (but my wife is understandably not a fan of that one - rather dangerous and could leave me in a worse state). I tried swimming but jacked up my should then (I have a previous SLAP tear and some other bizarre posterior impingement syndrome).
ecarl65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ecarl65 »

USAKeller wrote:I just saw this thread and boy do I have a lot of information to share! I'm 34 years old and having a total knee replacement (9th surgery on that knee) one week from today in Utah. I've been dealing with one of the most complicated knee injuries that my team of coast-to-coast doctors have ever seen. I'll reply more tonight with my opinions and knowledge if you'd like.

But for now and if you're interested, here is something I wrote a little while ago about my 5-year and counting horrific knee injury that you can hopefully find something useful from: Embracing Defeat
My WORD! I read this recently and all I can say is that I'm so sorry. What a hellish story! I sincerely wish the best for you and hope there's relief at the end of this cycle of torture you've been wading through. I must say, I'm impressed that you're able to cycle. That's one thing that makes me question if my issue is really osteoarthritis or something else, cycling has been harder on the knees and something I've had to avoid more than hiking. I'm guessing there's a repetitive stress component to my problem coupled with some kind of weird anatomical/mechanical issues.
B_2
14ers: 57  1  3 
13ers: 305 17 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B_2 »

ecarl65 wrote:
Ron McFarland wrote: Agree with reaching out to the Docs who take care of the pro athletes in Denver as their mindset is to keep you in the game.
Good luck
Thanks so much for commenting! I find the good doctors who treat the pro athletes a bit of a mixed bag. The one I most recently saw is very science based (and conservative) and seems to care. I did see another one, however, who was rather brusque and dismissive. The vibe I was getting from him was more one of, "you're not a professional athlete and your living doesn't depend on exercise, so you don't matter." He actually did say, "just live with it." I didn't go back to him. :lol:
CU Sports Medicine and Performance Center is also good - I've now had an ACL reconstructive surgery with a chondromalacia debridement w/Eric McCarty (who is now the surgical director I believe) and two rounds of hip PRP from Omer Mai-Dan due to FAI and destroyed hamstrings. They know athletes. All you have to do is say your sport and they get it. They have a good PT department too. You can absolutely return to hiking and biking with a TKA. As others have said, you just have to put in the work after the surgery. With proper rehab, your range of motion should be only slightly limited from a native knee joint - the strength part is up to you. Many recommend "pre-hab" now as well so you are stronger going in to the surgery for a faster recovery after.
Sleep?! Sleep when you're dead...
Update: I wrote that in 2008. Now I really love sleep - like, a lot.
johnterryscott
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnterryscott »

My "2 cents worth" - I fell on my knee running 16 years ago. I severely damaged it, and ended up trying microfracture surgery, and then 2 subsequent surgeries. I got by with it for 14 years, but it finally gave out. I had a TKR just over 2 years ago. The rehab was tough, and I had some hamstring issues after - but that all cleared up with time, and lots of work. Since then I've done probably 10 14ers, climbing in Ecuador, I work out everyday and did a trail half marathon last fall. My only complaint is my range of motion is not the same, so for some yoga moves I can't do them - like kneeling on my heels. Some folks with TKR have more range of motion - just depends on body type and all. I'm headed to Bolivia soon for another climbing trip, and my knee is the last thing I worry about. Good luck.
ecarl65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ecarl65 »

johnterryscott wrote:My "2 cents worth" - I fell on my knee running 16 years ago. I severely damaged it, and ended up trying microfracture surgery, and then 2 subsequent surgeries. I got by with it for 14 years, but it finally gave out. I had a TKR just over 2 years ago. The rehab was tough, and I had some hamstring issues after - but that all cleared up with time, and lots of work. Since then I've done probably 10 14ers, climbing in Ecuador, I work out everyday and did a trail half marathon last fall. My only complaint is my range of motion is not the same, so for some yoga moves I can't do them - like kneeling on my heels. Some folks with TKR have more range of motion - just depends on body type and all. I'm headed to Bolivia soon for another climbing trip, and my knee is the last thing I worry about. Good luck.
You're an inspiration! This is all so remarkable to me, I never thought it was remotely possible to get to this level of activity after a TKR and I'm so glad you (and others) were able to do so. I'll put in the work, hopefully that will be me someday.