Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:18 am My 7 favorite deep cut Rush songs:

The Enemy Within - Grace Under Pressure
Digital Man - Signals
Natural Science - Permanent Waves
Vital Signs - Moving Pictures
Alien Shore - Counterparts
Marathon - Power Windows
Something for Nothing - 2112 (is side A of 2112 a deep cut? I'm thinking no.)
Strong list man, Vital Signs is so good same with Natural Science. Always been a fan of Losing it on Singals too.

Bubs would be appalled that and Countdown didn't make your list.

*Edit: now that I look, it went Permanent Waves (1980), Moving Pictures (81), Signals (82) and Grace Under Pressure (84) easily my 4 favorite albums as a whole all back to back to back (Ok maybe lieing and should throw in 2112, 1976). Still, thats neat.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

FireOnTheMountain wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:37 pm Damn right.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Prime example of what I believe is called "The Engineering of Consent" (see "The Century of the Self" by Adam Curtis). You kids are sooo lucky that you didn't have to live through it. Today may be even worse in some aspects, but at least all masks are off (no pun intended).

This thread is nearly 30 months old, but I am nowhere near distilling my top 5. I could maybe scramble top five female vocals.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

cedica wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:00 am
This thread is nearly 30 months old, but I am nowhere near distilling my top 5. I could maybe scramble top five female vocals.
Here's three to start...
Kate Bush
Susan Tedeschi
Annie Haslam
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^Isn't it so cool that Tedeschi means German in Italian?

Why didn't I think of Annie Haslam? (Going to the basement, locking the door, rethinking whole concept again...)
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

SRV

Willie the Wimp
Aint Gone 'n' Give Up on Love
Voodoo Child
Pride and Joy
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

This has been on my mind lately doing peaks so here are my tunes of the hike, songs I hum in my head as I'm moving:

when i'm going over a catwalk: "I'm too sexy" by Right Said Fred
when i'm hiking and its raining: "It's raining men" by The Weather Girls
when i'm going up something sketchy: "private idaho" by The B-52's

Other than that, I've been like a 3.5 year Slayer/priest/anthrax binge.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Bar goers in Colorado are going to have to work fast. Closing time is now 10pm for at least a while.....

Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 74
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

As part of the digital Lollapalooza last weekend, Josh Homme did his best Colonel Sanders x Instagram Thirst Trap impression whilst performing Spinning in the Daffodils by Them Crooked Vultures acoustic.

People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

'Member that old "No Reservations" episode ("Bacon is the gateway meat to convert vegetarians" - Josh Homme):
icreamsoda
14ers: 24 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by icreamsoda »

AnnaG22 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm 1. Grace Potter
2. Lake Street Dive
3. Simon and Garfunkel

beyond that, tough to list favorites, but I enjoy other bands with that general sound, stuff like Glass Animals and Alt J, positive uptempo EDM, popular 70s and 80s rock, non-Phish jam bands. As a 90s child, I do have a soft spot for shitty pop. Having musically inclined parents, I also enjoy classical music and jazz.
Edit: have also been known to partake in some barefoot bluegrass dirt stompin.
^ my favorite post in this thread. thanks for the great suggestions! i'm really diggin Grace Potter! \:D/

take a penny leave a penny. my top 5:
1. Tyler Childers
2. Van Morrison
3. fun.
4. in the blue shirt
5. Vampire Weekend

honorables: CCR, Blues Traveler, Girl Talk, Queen, Paul Simon, Nickel Creek, HAIM, Protest the Hero, Made in Heights, and The Eagles
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 74
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Reading back through this thread, I can't resist sharing this incredible Two Step encore medley from Noblesville, IN (2013-06-22) that I saw live. 2016 was about the end of my DMB listening - wasn't a big fan of Come Tomorrow. Before These Crowded Streets and Under the Table and Dreaming are all-time favorites of mine. Of the three times I saw them I'd say 2010-06-19 was my favorite set start-to-finish, as it was a great mix of classics and the recently released Big Whiskey... album. Opened with Big-Eyed Fish > Bartender, and finished with a high-energy Time Bomb plus All Along the Watchtower encore.

My music taste can be fairly bipolar in that I can enjoy uplifting, positive songs just as easily as I can heavy riffs depending on my mood and not limited to specific genres. Someone wayyyy back mentioned Rob Zombie. I can't listen to the Astro Creep 2000... album by White Zombie without transporting back to driving up CO-149 to Creede from US-50: no service, no radio - just a CD changer in the car. Maybe it was the wet mid-September weather at the time, but it felt like such a dark drive out to Creede coming from the bright and sunny Wilson Group a day prior. Lake City is a weird place to me.

Bonus, just because posting that Josh Homme video on the previous page put me in a desert mood (Songs for the Deaf is in my top 3 albums ever):

cedica wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:46 pm 'Member that old "No Reservations" episode.
What an excellent ambiance track, thanks for sharing!
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

I'm a prog rock/metal fan. I also am quite fond of jazz/fusion, guitar oriented instrumental, and most classic rock. In all cases, I especially appreciate the instrumental aspects of music.

Favorite bands:

Dream Theater
Rush
Fates Warning
Queensryche
Vanden Plas
Haken (more modern favorite and very honorable mention outside of these top 5 parameters)

Favorite musicians:

John Petrucci
Neil Peart (RIP) (and by proxy I would have to add Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson)
Mike Portnoy
Steve Morse
Michael Schenker
Frank Marino (very honorable mention)

In reference to the first and the third name in the musician's list.....all is well in the world again. Petrucci premiering a song today from his first solo album in 15 years.....reuniting with Portnoy after a LONG hiatus. 8) 8) 8)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;