Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Post by cedica »

^^^ That was earth-shattering, I think we should immediately play something soprano-heavy to return the planet to balance. Otherwise there will be earthquakes, tsunamis and whatnots.

All hail Elisabeth Fraser, the Voice of God, the Empress of incomprehensible lyrics:

Apparently the song was named after Bluebell Knoll from the top of Grand Staircase in Utah.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Just because if you are digging the Cocteau Twins, maybe you should also check out Dead Can Dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjm5o0ZxLyg

and for the intrigued:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9BK6rW88DA
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Wentzl wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:12 pm Just because if you are digging the Cocteau Twins, maybe you should also check out Dead Can Dance:
I saw them in NYC several years ago, Lisa Gerrard was awesome. 'Member This Mortal Coil project?

Liz Fraser however, I believe that she had only couple of appearances in this century, not sure that those were announced upfront.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Love "This Mortal Coil". Listened to one of their CD's the other night. :-D

The Man and I saw: "Dead Can Dance", "Siouxsie and the Banshees", "Iggy Pop", "Motorhead", "The Ramones", "Black Flag" (with Henry Rollins 5 times), "Gary Numan", U2 (3 times), "The Cure" (2 times), "Pat Benatar", "Billy Idol", "Stevie Ray Vaughn", "The Go Go's", "Tracy Champan", "New Order", "Pixies", "The Replacements", "Stray Cats", "Fine Young Cannibals", "Violent Femmes", "Elvis Costello", "Blondie", "Husker Du", "Howard Jones, "The Pretenders", "The Police", and "The Cult" live at the Rainbow Music Hall (1200 capacity) in the 1980's ... that's not everyone we saw, but I don't want to bore people with "old school memories". :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Presto wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:38 am Love "This Mortal Coil". Listened to one of their CD's the other night. :-D

The Man and I saw: "Dead Can Dance", "Siouxsie and the Banshees", "Iggy Pop", "Motorhead", "The Ramones", "Black Flag" (with Henry Rollins 5 times), "Gary Numan", U2 (3 times), "The Cure" (2 times), "Pat Benatar", "Billy Idol", "Stevie Ray Vaughn", "The Go Go's", "Tracy Champan", "New Order", "Pixies", "The Replacements", "Stray Cats", "Fine Young Cannibals", "Violent Femmes", "Elvis Costello", "Blondie", "Husker Du", "Howard Jones, "The Pretenders", "The Police", and "The Cult" live at the Rainbow Music Hall (1200 capacity) in the 1980's ... that's not everyone we saw, but I don't want to bore people with "old school memories". :wink:
Sounds like some awesome shows =D>

EDIT: Also very happy to see the love for Elizabeth Fraser...the layers of her own voice harmonizing with itself in many great Cocteau songs soundtrack my brightest dreams !
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:00 pm EDIT: Also very happy to see the love for Elizabeth Fraser...the layers of her own voice harmonizing with itself in many great Cocteau songs soundtrack my brightest dreams !
Babooshka :iluvu:
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

cedica wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:16 pm
benmangelsdorf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:00 pm EDIT: Also very happy to see the love for Elizabeth Fraser...the layers of her own voice harmonizing with itself in many great Cocteau songs soundtrack my brightest dreams !
Babooshka :iluvu:
Ja ja
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

cedica wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 pm ^^^ That was earth-shattering, I think we should immediately play something soprano-heavy to return the planet to balance. Otherwise there will be earthquakes, tsunamis and whatnots.

All hail Elisabeth Fraser, the Voice of God, the Empress of incomprehensible lyrics:

Apparently the song was named after Bluebell Knoll from the top of Grand Staircase in Utah.
That entire album is magnificent. So is Victorialand. But Blue Bell Knoll was probably their pinnacle.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:00 pm
EDIT: Also very happy to see the love for Elizabeth Fraser...the layers of her own voice harmonizing with itself in many great Cocteau songs soundtrack my brightest dreams !
I don't know why, because they really aren't that similar, but her voice reminds me of Toni Halliday from Curve. Or the other way around I guess I should say.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Speaking of great female voices, Annie Haslam of Renaissance....

"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Happy Friday, everyone, even though somber with recent news. Be safe out there, folks, including Andrew H and his team. Prepare, read route descriptions, think through scenarios twice, if not more. Have a plan, know where you are going, and how to get back. Obviously just a summary that includes lots more details. Just a reminder that it takes effort to keep things manageable in the mountains.