10k+ gain routes

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 10k+ gain routes

Post by 719BR »

ezabielski wrote:
Candace66 wrote:
Not as hard as C2C though. Same gain but half the mileage.
:oops: What is C2C?
Guessing Cactus to Clouds. Start in Palm Springs (500') and climb Mt. San Jacinto (10,800'). Maybe the most elevation gain you can do in the US in one continuous climb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactus_to_Clouds_Trail

EDIT: Just found Shorty's Well to Telescope Peak. Anyone want to go to Death Valley this Fall and do it in a day? :faint:
yup, cactus to clouds, aka the local death march. the ups and downs push it just over bw2t for total gain. and i looked it up and it's 14 miles as opposed to 15 or so for bw2t, so i was wrong about it being half the distance.

still effing brutal.
ZLewis
14ers: 9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ZLewis »

ezabielski wrote:Guessing Cactus to Clouds. Start in Palm Springs (500') and climb Mt. San Jacinto (10,800'). Maybe the most elevation gain you can do in the US in one continuous climb.
Contiguous states, perhaps. Both Hawaii and Alaska have more elevation to offer. Mauna Kea - Sea to Summit is 13,796. Even Denali has been done in a single day.
"He who climbs Mt. Fuji is a wise man; he who climbs it twice is a fool." - Japanese proverb
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

It's not a loop hike but the Sanitarado (a.k.a. the Boulder skyline trail) is about 9,500' of gain. You could add some variations to make it over 10,000'. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1009407163
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

martinleroux wrote:It's not a loop hike but the Sanitarado (a.k.a. the Boulder skyline trail) is about 9,500' of gain. You could add some variations to make it over 10,000'. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1009407163
Never heard of adding in Eldorado. I've done the skyline which is the main 5. I've also done the loop with 6 (anenome) with a return via 9th Street and the Mesa trail (25 miles 9ish k vert). Which route up Eldorado? That might be a good new one!
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
grahampa
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (1)

Post by grahampa »

you people are animals! i want a big two days this thursday and friday too.. thinking Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies day 1 then a Wetterhorn - Uncompahgre traverse day 2. Will be the most mileage and the most elevation gain I've done in two days ever if i can succeed.

Also I've heard the indian peaks wilderness has some great long day ridge walking routes. Look up TR's for Navajo Peak. Also maybe the long's peak grand slam? Not sure of the mileage and elevation gain but good routes.
"Because it's there."
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Winfield to Massive with Elbert in the middle has to be close. Up and over Hope Pass, Elbert from Twin Lakes, drop down the Northeast Slopes, and then up Massive from the Southwest Slopes. You could hitchhike back to Winfield or get on the CT and "loop" back.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

ZLewis wrote:
ezabielski wrote:Guessing Cactus to Clouds. Start in Palm Springs (500') and climb Mt. San Jacinto (10,800'). Maybe the most elevation gain you can do in the US in one continuous climb.
Contiguous states, perhaps. Both Hawaii and Alaska have more elevation to offer. Mauna Kea - Sea to Summit is 13,796. Even Denali has been done in a single day.
Telescope peak out of Death Valley ? If we include glacier climbs I would guess there are routes on Rainer > 12K (start walking from Ashford for example) ? But of course getting to these places from Denver in less then 3 hours would be more impressive then the climbs themselves :shock: :) .
Best Regards
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

jerseybrian wrote:Which route up Eldorado?
You should be able to see a GPS track if you click on the link to connect.garmin.com. The idea is to follow the Rattlesnake Gulch trail, then leave the trail near its high point and head SSE up a ridge crest for about a mile. Higher up the ridge becomes narrow and rocky, and there's some easy scrambling. When the ridge levels off, veer right (SW) a short distance to the summit. There's no trail above Rattlesnake Gulch but the vegetation isn't very dense.
Ktrain
14ers: 27  2 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ktrain »

Thanks for your ideas everyone!

Eli- I like the stats and proximity, but not too keen on all that road hiking.
bergsteigen-Turning it up to 11! This is perfect, exactly what I was looking for! =D>
Tory- Planning on 4-pass sometime this fall, but main goal is to hit 10k in a day.
Steve- Was thinking of egis in October.
martinleroux/jerseybrian- The anemone skyline variation with Eldorado option sounds nice!
Candance66- Could probably swing a trip to Wyoming or Utah, but would prefer something closer. Can't make it out to California this year.
summitrunner- As fun as Greely to Longs sounds ](*,), Winfield->Elbert->Massive looks much better. Also looks like maybe 12k :-D
grahampa- I'd probably want a partner for the grand slam, but it was on my radar for sure.
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

martinleroux wrote:
jerseybrian wrote:Which route up Eldorado?
You should be able to see a GPS track if you click on the link to connect.garmin.com. The idea is to follow the Rattlesnake Gulch trail, then leave the trail near its high point and head SSE up a ridge crest for about a mile. Higher up the ridge becomes narrow and rocky, and there's some easy scrambling. When the ridge levels off, veer right (SW) a short distance to the summit. There's no trail above Rattlesnake Gulch but the vegetation isn't very dense.
I couldn't tell exactly if it was the NE of NW ridge but that makes sense. I've tried the NE ridge once but bailed because I didn't have enough time.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

This is a good one from another member. I was able to find a class 3 route on the west side of 13300 A so the entire route should not exceed class 3. Add in 13er K49 and complete the loop by hiking up the road just a couple miles, and you will have your 10K elevation gain and a dozen 13ers.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=12134
jimwei
14ers: 21 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jimwei »

Only an hour from Denver.

Incline parking lot -> Barr Trail -> Pikes Peak summit -> Barr Camp -> Lake Moraine -> Nelson Park -> Almagre Summit -> Seven Bridges -> Section 16 -> Interman -> Incline parking lot. Should be over 10K, maybe 11K. Distance though is quite long at 30+ miles.