Iker Karrera sets a new Nolan's 14 record

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Iker Karrera sets a new Nolan's 14 record

Post by Cruiser »

Wow. He estimated that he wasted 5ish hours with route finding errors and still lowered the fkt by 6 hours. Amazing!
Where ever you are... There you are.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Cruiser wrote:Wow. He estimated that he wasted 5ish hours with route finding errors and still lowered the fkt by 6 hours. Amazing!
It also makes Anton's past goal of 30 hours sound not totally outrageous :)
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Jeez! Congratulations!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Insane!
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

That's a wild time with 5 hours lost. I'd love to see what Anton could do. There is a YouTube video of Tony and Killian running up and down grand Teton. It was pretty crazy seeing him run up and down in just shorts, socks, shoes, and a water bottle while flying past people with ropes and pro. Some people are just on a whole different level than us mortals.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

That huge feat, despite losing a bunch of time. Makes me wonder what it would be like to have internationally big names, rather than local Coloradans, attempt these challenges, especially when their top finishers at Hardrock. Not that I'm saying that Grant, Hamilton, and Mahon aren't big names, but right now I would guess that most attempts are local, just like how most speed attempts on Eiger North Face are European.

I'm calling that Kilian does all the Colorado 14ers in 1 day, running between each. :mrgreen:
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

IMO the record will eventually belong to a Coloradan with technical skills. Tony had scouted an optimal line for him that included short sections that were pretty technical, up to 5.7 iirc. Kilian won't have the time to do all that. Based on Iker's time, I think 35 hours is possible if you have great weather, don't get lost for 5 hours, don't miss your crew, do the perfect line, and don't run Hardrock 10 days before.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

jomagam wrote:IMO the record will eventually belong to a Coloradan with technical skills. Tony had scouted an optimal line for him that included short sections that were pretty technical, up to 5.7 iirc. Kilian won't have the time to do all that. Based on Iker's time, I think 35 hours is possible if you have great weather, don't get lost for 5 hours, don't miss your crew, do the perfect line, and don't run Hardrock 10 days before.
Pretty sure that's taking the ridge directly from Harvard to Columbia. I am not sure there are many (or any?) other places on Nolans like that, where it's possible to take a much more technical direct route and save time.

I agree that 35 hours is possible for a world class runner who knows the line. Keep in mind that Iker didn't use any GPS, and doesn't seem to have had much assistance besides meeting his crew. So there's also time to be gained with using GPS and having knowledgable pacers who know the line.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I agree with Eli - technical climbing ability isn't much of a help at Nolan's. Taking Rabbit Ridge instead of the normal traverse between Harvard & Columbia will only save a few minutes. Other places the technical grade is really limited to Class 3, and there's not all that much of even that. (OK, and exception would be Hamilton's more direct route between Elkhead Pass and Missouri - Class 4.)

In his interview on irunfar.com, Iker says "I think that the objective that Anton Krupicka had at 30 hours, I think it’s not possible, but I think there are some runners, or one runner, that can do it in less than 40 hours. You know who it is, this runner. I think Kilian [Jornet] can do it in less than 40 hours."