Fishing

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Fishing

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Has anyone here fished the high altitude lakes? I came into possession of a #2 4 piece fly rod and it seemed perfect for small trout while hiking. It would really be catch and release as I don't have a good way to cook fish, especially above tree line.
Timothy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fishing

Post by Timothy »

I have not had much success fishing around treeline, most of the little ponds don't seem to have many catchable fish. There are some excellent streams and ponds below timberline in the Sangre de Cristos and some very nice fishing holes (but no 14ers) in Lost Creek Wilderness, not huge fish but lots of action, mostly brook trout. My experience is that high country fish are more sensitive to shock than at lower altitude, so many released fish die no matter how carefully returned to the water. Because brookies are invasive and shockingly prolific I don't worry about that too much. Take an assortment of flies; which one the fish are hitting on seems to vary by the hour in some places. Also, you might consider avoiding areas where there could be runoff from mining operations, no telling what might be in the water and fish.
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎
Two Headed Boy
14ers: 31 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Two Headed Boy »

I love fishing high mountain lakes, and streams. I have caught 17 + inch Cutthroat out of Peacock Pool
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9