Carry a trowel?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do you carry a trowel?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 45
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Carry a trowel?

Post by DArcyS »

I'm curious as to whether people still carry trowels.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=trowe ... res%3Anull

Maybe there's a new movement to not carry them because they're hard to fit into a small pack and they add extra weight. And I suppose it's easy enough to rationalize going au naturel. I don't see marmots using a trowel after they fully digest your camp gear.
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Carry a trowel?

Post by painless4u2 »

If you can't or won't pack it out, by all means dig a cat hole with your trowel and have at it. And you're not a marmot. :mrgreen:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
skik2000
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skik2000 »

I usually carry one on backpacking trips and a wag bag for day trips. Mine is plastic and I have a hell of a time digging an adequately sized hole but don't really want to bring along one that contains metal. I've usually got to dig a hole the day before because there's not enough time in the morning.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Depends on who I go with. The more non-essential things I have floating around in my pack the more stressed I get, even when some things are useful. So generally, no. Never had issues digging holes with rocks and sticks.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Yup ... a small plastic orange one. The Man named it "Sam Spade". :-"
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Shattuck311
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 246 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shattuck311 »

Absolutely carry a Trowel. And a garbage bag to carry out TP/Wet Wipes. This should be standard in all hikers day kits. I use the Deuce of Spades, which weighs very very little. I've had mine for 3 years now and still looks new. https://www.gossamergear.com/products/d ... ing-trowel
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

On a day trip, no. I try to drop the extra pounds at home, but do pack a WAG bag just in case (haven't had to use it).

On multi-day trips which I rarely do these days, yes.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

SS, folding with pouch, $6 shipped, amz. Had a plastic one, lighter, but broke. Pouch has room for TP if you tuck the tail under a bic pen clip and roll some up then put in a ziploc.
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

I use a camp toilet and wag bags. At first I thought you said towel in which case I was all set with a "hoopy frood" comment.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If you can't dig a shallow poop hole with a stick, rock, or boot heel, you're not really camping. You're glamping.
And if you need something bigger than a shallow poop hole, you need to lay off the Mexican buffet the night before.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

LURE wrote:Never had issues digging holes with rocks and sticks.
Nature's trowel.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Shattuck311 wrote:Absolutely carry a Trowel. And a garbage bag to carry out TP/Wet Wipes. This should be standard in all hikers day kits. I use the Deuce of Spades, which weighs very very little. I've had mine for 3 years now and still looks new. https://www.gossamergear.com/products/d ... ing-trowel
I like the looks of that one, but I might want to wrap that handle in paracord to round off the edges for more comfortable digging. Having the extra lenght of paracord for emergencies could be useful as well.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston