Carry a trowel?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do you carry a trowel?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 45
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Carry a trowel?

Post by spiderman »

It is one of my 108 essentials that I bring at all times.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Sticks and stones for a 6-8" hole in rocky or rooty soil? :wft: Stab the spade 6-8x in a circle, lever the grass plug out and set aside, scoop out rest of dirt to front, biz, refill dirt, replace plug, tamp down, and you'd never know it was there. Can't say the same for "kick some dirt on it" or "just put a rock on it" types.

Pro Tip: Duece with CFI crew and you can make quick work of it with a real shovel. :wink:
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

In the past I usually brought a wag bag for day trips and a trowel for backpacking. Over the past few years though I've noticed more and more campsites in popular and even remote areas getting trashed with poop and TP strung about, not properly buried, or in some cases not even covered. So recently I have been trying to pack out my human waste as much as possible. I still dig a hole from time to time, but I usually just use wag bags which I bag up and get rid of at the trailhead.

As far as type or brand goes, I've used the GSI one in the OPs link, but I've found the orange plastic one that Presto mentioned to be the strongest and easiest to dig with.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I have a s**t shovel. Usually I look for a rock that when tipped over already leaves a pretty good hole. Then I dig it deeper with the s**t shovel / trowel. It's black plastic - brand name GSI and does a pretty good job with workable soil. I try to be selective with finding a co-operative spot for the operation. Part of the routine is finding a stick for the reburial so I don't actually get s**t on the s**t shovel.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

If you unload next to a marmot hole, your wolf-bait will be gone in 24 hrs. They will eat anything.

What I don't understand is the unwillingness to pack out TP. Is it that difficult to carry a ziploc freezer bag with 3-4 brown paper lunch sacks in it?

Snowpeak made an ultralight titanium trowel years ago that was popular with thru-hikers. I haven't carried one in years so not sure if they still sell it. I'm pretty sure it was north of $50.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I like the plastic one with the serrated edge for sawing through tough stuff in the woods:

randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

https://katabaticgear.com/shop/deuce-of-spades/

+1 on packing out your TP. Put in small zip lock bag. put that inside a small mylar bag which is odor proof.