Alternative 58 Checklist?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Alternative 58 Checklist?

Post by SoCool »

After mulling it over, I'm going to add Brad's alternate 58 checklist to my collection of checklists that I am pondering and contemplating sort of kind of maybe considering thinking about working on completing some day. It is a less selfish list than our normal peak bagging pursuits and I like it for its focus on mountaineering ethics. Currently I am only able to check off about forty of the items on it, but am inspired to do more.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Hmmmm alternative checklists...

1. Bring a Bluetooth speaker to the summit to entertain individuals with beautiful, widely appealing melodies.
2. Dog sit 5+ dogs and bring them up to the summit of a 14er without leashes so everyone can pet them.
3. Break champagne bottles against summit blocks to christen a new 14er summit.
4. Replace paper summit registers with permanent markers so the mountain never forgets.
5. Conduct a snow climb outside Calendar Winter and claim it as a True Winter Summit on the 14ers.com Facebook.
6. Contact SAR to bring you down a mountain if you're feeling lonely.

I like Brad's idea, definitely a well rounded way of experiencing the mountains and also enjoying what the community has to offer.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Fun list, I'm at 27.

Suggestions for the unofficial list of 74 ...
  • Summit during a meteor shower
    Cheer on a FKT hiker during his/her attempt in person
    Setup a hike with a new partner through the Climbing Connection Forum
    Meet Bill M unexpectedly on the trail
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

^^love the additional ones listed above me.
39/58 so far. great idea, McQueens!

also:
swim in an alpine lake!
sleep on a summit.
teach someone to camp.
take a risqué summit photo. Get flack and/or praise for it.
fend off a goat with trekking poles.
BUY A CORSAR CARD.
spontaneously burst into song (or witness someone else do so) because your surroundings are so beautiful.
EAT A SUMMIT COOKIE.
treat/filter water from a mountain stream.
use a WagBag.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

WARNING: This thread has a very high potential to go in the wrong direction very quickly. :lol:
Vimana Aircraft
14ers: 38  20 
13ers: 41 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vimana Aircraft »

Nice list sir :-)!!!!! Really diggin it, much respect!
Vimana Aircraft
14ers: 38  20 
13ers: 41 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vimana Aircraft »

XterraRob wrote:Hmmmm alternative checklists...

1. Bring a Bluetooth speaker to the summit to entertain individuals with beautiful, widely appealing melodies.
2. Dog sit 5+ dogs and bring them up to the summit of a 14er without leashes so everyone can pet them.
3. Break champagne bottles against summit blocks to christen a new 14er summit.
4. Replace paper summit registers with permanent markers so the mountain never forgets.
5. Conduct a snow climb outside Calendar Winter and claim it as a True Winter Summit on the 14ers.com Facebook.
6. Contact SAR to bring you down a mountain if you're feeling lonely.

I like Brad's idea, definitely a well rounded way of experiencing the mountains and also enjoying what the community has to offer.
:-)!!!!! .....Use "last pitch" or "headwall" in descriptions of standard routes up Quandary and/ or Bierstadt ....argue with people on how any snow on the mountain should qualify as a winter ascent and not doing so is just unfair!, nice list team :-) respect!
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

This can go in any number of threads: Outside online: The 10 types of people you meet on the trail.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2199646/t ... meet-trail
Who is John Galt
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

I am only at 28 thus far, some for me will never be obtained due to age and disability, but if you count the number of times I have used number 46 on this awesome list, I will have surpassed the desired number in both quantity and quality.
I am just an old hippy, and I absolutely loved this list. Well done.
jladderud
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jladderud »

2. Bring a trash bag and leave a #cleaner14er

^^^^This!

Brad does it again! Thanks for the ideas. I'm only at 25/58 on this list; but will arguably be prouder if/when I finish it than when I finish the "official" list.
I hope our paths cross one of these days, Brad. Sorry to have missed you on the Iron Nipple last year.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

I'm at 37, which is exactly the number of 14ers I have completed! I won't be able to finish the list before I complete the 58 peaks, since I won't have a son/daughter for a while :lol: