IT Band Problems

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: IT Band Problems

Post by Conor »

I've found since I've been conscious about my anterior pelvic tilt my it band and knee issues have gone away. I stretch very little, hardly ever foam roll, but rotating my pelvis forward has helped immensely. Jeff Calvaiere has some excellent videos and does a good job explaining the basic anatomy.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

"Rolling is good, but I've found that the source of the problem for me was weak glutes and tight hips. There are at least three layers of very tight muscles in the hips that I've been able to get to and work on that has helped. Stretching my hip flexors daily has helped a ton."

+1 Stretching those muscles up around the hips and glutes greatly help the actual IT band be more loose (good) and avoid inflammation across the knee structure during repeated movement.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Stee wrote:I used to struggle with IT band problems when I ran. It also used to light up some when I hiked long distances. My biggest success was focusing on building strength in my glutes and hamstrings. Stretching can only get you so far. You need to regularly do squats, lunges, step ups, things like that. I also try to incorporate some mobility stretches after working out or watching tv - a mix of foam rolling and stretching. It has helped a lot.

Sitting at a desk all day obviously doesn't help either. Stand up as much as possible if you are deskbound. I found this article. It sums up my similar strategy.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2142646/d ... -pain-good

+1 from someone who has run for 35 years and struggled off and on with IT band issues. 3-6 sets of squats a week are worth the 30 minute investment even if you are very busy like me. Foam roller is good to treat the symptoms.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
oh2co
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 15 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oh2co »

Squats, general strength training of lower half, and stretching hams and quads. To this day by the time I'm 12-15 miles in I'm hurting a bit which puts some long routes and multi summit weekends out of reach sometimes. Mind you I was strugglng after 6-8 miles due to pain although my stamina was hardly phased.

"It's like wearing skirts instead of trousers, it makes the wildlife nervous."

"If you really want to see the stars in all their glory, then you have to go out into the wilderness"
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

Also consider your shoes. I once had an IT band meltdown caused by worn out trail runners. As soon as I bought a new pair, the issue corrected itself.