Capitol peak fall

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Capitol peak fall

Post by Phill the Thrill »

So tragic. My prayers are with his family and friends.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Jake was my coworker at Medtronic and today we had a group meeting where we were notified about his accident on Capitol Peak. It was very shocking and emotional for all of us who have worked with him. He was a very sharp young fellow who had studied engineering and had a bright future head of him, but it was unfortunately cut short by this incident. I just wanted everyone to know that he was a great guy and we will miss him at the office. My condolences to his family, fiancee, and friends.
LIV
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (21)

Post by LIV »

My prayers are with the families. I'm so sorry for your loss.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

So sorry to hear we lost this young man. My prayers go out for all those involved or personally connected to him and his friend.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
timberlinecolorado56
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timberlinecolorado56 »

So sorry for this heartbreaking loss. Praying for all impacted by his death.
All creation declares the beauty and majesty of the Lord God Almighty.

"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him... come let us bow down in worship... for he is our God." Psalm 95:5-7
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Very sad to hear about this. Sounds like this tragedy fits a pattern of similar past accidents and close calls in that part of the Elks (capitol and snowmass specifically).
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

mtn_nut wrote:Apparently the accident happened between the Mount Daly saddle and K2 along the alternate route that follows the ridge.
I'm not certain but from what I've read I think it may have been off-route below the ridge, attempting to ascend a gully to go above the standard route. I was on the standard route the day before and a lot of folks were starting there and then trying to go up gullies onto the cliffs to avoid snow because they didn't have traction. Whatever the case everybody please be careful about this, take the dry Ridge Direct if you don't have snow equipment and be careful, if you aren't prepared for the ridge, take the equipment and use it to do the standard route and be careful, and don't go into steep uncharted terrain. And be careful!

I might have run into these guys on my way down on the 14th as they hiked up to the lake in the evening. I can't imagine what all the family and Jake's partner must be going through. Praying for everyone involved.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

JaredJohnson wrote:
mtn_nut wrote:Apparently the accident happened between the Mount Daly saddle and K2 along the alternate route that follows the ridge.
I'm not certain but from what I've read I think it may have been off-route below the ridge, attempting to ascend a gully to go above the standard route. I was on the standard route the day before and a lot of folks were starting there and then trying to go up gullies onto the cliffs to avoid snow because they didn't have traction. Whatever the case everybody please be careful about this, take the dry Ridge Direct if you don't have snow equipment and be careful, if you aren't prepared for the ridge, take the equipment and use it to do the standard route and be careful, and don't go into steep uncharted terrain. And be careful!

I might have run into these guys on my way down on the 14th as they hiked up to the lake in the evening. I can't imagine what all the family and Jake's partner must be going through. Praying for everyone involved.
I got that information from someone I know well who was there during the helicopter extraction on Saturday, but i wasn't there, so i don't want to comment on exactly where this happened. i haven't seen the route in person since Sept 2014, so i was vague on purpose. I do know it happen after the daly saddle and before k2, which the aspen times story seems to confirm, and they were not on the "standard" route that goes to the east side of the ridge after the daly saddle. I was told they were on the ridge, which is an alternate route that goes 4th class if i remember correctly. I don't want to pass judgement whether they were on a good route or what other factors may have caused the accident.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Very sorry to hear about this. My prayers go out to all those impacted.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

So very sorry to hear such sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

I don't see how the snow is an issue besides people thinking that they need to go around it. It is low angle, and soft enough around the clock at this point in the year that it can be crossed without any traction. I suspect it is uneducated / unknowing people thinking that they need to climb this "gully" to circumvent the snowfields, and then a combination of them "sharing beta" with others and people just following whatever they see others doing. I have never even heard of this gully before this incident, but now I see it referenced as becoming the "new regular route." If it is heading back towards the ridge instead of going out and around like the standard route does, it seems like it could be pretty dangerous.

Does anyone else have any info on this "gully" that is referenced? Curious as to where it is in regards to the Daly saddle and where the regular route heads from there.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard