Burnt out on peak bagging?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FrancesGray
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Burnt out on peak bagging?

Post by FrancesGray »

MTNCLmber64169 wrote:Hello, I created an account specifically to post this question. I did do a quick search before posting and if I missed any similar posts I apologize. Last summer I got hooked on hiking 14ers and did about 20. I even did a few through the fall and winter. Now it's summer again and I have climbing opportunities every single week and yet I find myself not having any desire to go. Early this morning I actually turned off of Yale because I simply didn't have any desire to be there or to summit. I just feel frustrated because at one point I wanted to do every 14er in the state and now all my motivation is gone. I guess I'm just reaching out for the community to see if this is something people go through or if I'm just a yuppy or what. I didn't want to make this first post too long but if anyone is actually interested in this I can post more specifics. Thanks and be gentle, this is my first post.
Try winter hiking. It is a whole different world. It is more expensive then the summertime and there is a lot more to learn.
B_2
14ers: 57  1  3 
13ers: 304 17 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Burnt out on peak bagging?

Post by B_2 »

I appreciate your post OP! Lots of great feedback in this thread, and I've read every post. It's nice to hear that it's not always go-go-go on climbing for others, and selfishly, reading it made me also feel better about my own choices and how I fit in to this online community.

We moved out here in 2001 and did the same thing. 20 14ers in our first summer...and we're still not "done". Didn't really get full-blown burn-out, per se, but did have some kids and both go to graduate school, etc which slowed down the production drastically...As we've entered middle age, sleep has indeed become more of a priority so getting up at 0-dark-30 for a 4 hour drive isn't as appealing as it once was. Also, my husband likes to rock-climb and fish, I like to mountain bike and create little outdoor adventures for the whole family - gotta get our fix on those things too! I think we'll both finish the 14ers, but I now have no expectations of finishing centennials, 13ers, outhouse high points :lol: , etc.

But, what has helped me/us stay motivated is to pretty much stay away from the "standard route", especially in the Sawatch, unless that route in itself is extremely challenging as on the more difficult 14ers. That little bit of extra challenge involving a remote TH, a combo, some route finding, +snow/mountaineering routes, has been helpful to keep the excitement going. While that approach has resulted in probably a higher percentage of gear dilemmas, getting lost, going too slow and running out of time, getting rained on, icky bushwhacks to get out, scary animal encounters and DNFs...oh well. That's why we live here, to visit the mountains often. Good campfire stories...

PS - and it's an ongoing joke for us - anytime you see *classic*, "arduous", or "gendarme" in the Roach books - it's usually a safe bet you're in for some adventure! Go there. :lol:
Sleep?! Sleep when you're dead...
Update: I wrote that in 2008. Now I really love sleep - like, a lot.