Burnt out on peak bagging?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Burnt out on peak bagging?

Post by Mike Shepherd »

I mostly gave up after a paltry 12 peaks bagged.

To the OP, what else strikes you now that you have reached peak bagging fatigue? Cycling? Running? Rock and or Ice Climbing? Painting?
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

Lots of good advice here. I think burn-out is a common occurrence; or for me, much of a "been there, done that" feeling. After 14er #1 in August, 1982, and and then 14 more, I did 27 new 14ers in 1991-1993. Just about wiped out enthusiasm-wise, and then took my time over the next 6 years to get the final 13. Now at 202 Colorado 14er summits, few more if I include Cameron, North Massive, South Massive. And throw in maybe 50-60 times on top of a 13er; have a tally, but haven't counted them.

Last weekend, a buddy and I went to about 13,800' on Bierstadt and stopped. Both of us had made the top before, and we just lost interest in going further. These days, I use altitude mostly to stay in condition and am not really concerned about making a summit I've done multiple times.
Last edited by SteveBonowski on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpieta24
14ers: 50  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jpieta24 »

I don't know why so many people are being so negative and that it's so overrated to climb all of them. Lots of people in Colorado climb 14ers and it's not a novel quest to do them all, and there are no T-shirts or parades at the end, but who cares? You climb them for yourself. Its a personal achievement to complete something you set out to do. I win a small battle with myself every time I get to the summit. One of my favorite quotes is "It's not the Mountains we conquer, but ourselves" and that's how, for me, I connect with each climb. Someone commented they ask "why am I doing this to myself?", I say that to myself on every mountain and I am always planning the next one. You are lacking motivation, that is more than normal. Try to remember why you do it, take a break, do some other things, but if it's what you want to do, keep going, and I promise I'll have a beer with you on the top of your final one!
"Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion" - Robert Macfarlane
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

jpieta24 wrote:I don't know why so many people are being so negative and that it's so overrated to climb all of them. Lots of people in Colorado climb 14ers and it's not a novel quest to do them all, and there are no T-shirts or parades at the end, but who cares? You climb them for yourself. Its a personal achievement to complete something you set out to do. I win a small battle with myself every time I get to the summit. One of my favorite quotes is "It's not the Mountains we conquer, but ourselves" and that's how, for me, I connect with each climb. Someone commented they ask "why am I doing this to myself?", I say that to myself on every mountain and I am always planning the next one. You are lacking motivation, that is more than normal. Try to remember why you do it, take a break, do some other things, but if it's what you want to do, keep going, and I promise I'll have a beer with you on the top of your final one!
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of saying "It's overrated" to others. It's such an individual thing as far as why you're doing it and what you're trying to get out of it. One persons easy 14er is for someone else a symbol of overcoming a heart transplant (I saw that recently on Facebook, it was pretty cool). If you don't feel a need or drive to finish that's fine. If you do, great. To me do it your way and the way that makes you happy. If that means big breaks in between peaks great. If that means knocking it all out in one summer great. If that means never finishing that's fine too.

For me at least over time I've come to the conclusion I got what I needed out of my climbing and that's why I've slowed down a ton. That may change again. Who knows. Two weeks ago I took a good friend on her first backpacking trip in I think 7 years because she's suffered permanent ankle damage from a climbing accident and can barely hike more than a few miles. We only did a few miles and didn't climb anything but it was still probably the most meaningful thing I've done in the mountains in a long time. Seeing that kind of joy and peace on someone's face because they got to go to the mountains at all was amazing. Sharing those experiences is more powerful than climbing a mountain for me most times these days.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

jpieta24 wrote:I don't know why so many people are being so negative and that it's so overrated to climb all of them.
Haven't read all the comments, but I don't think anyone's intent here is necessarily to slam finishers or diminish the task. I think the general point being made is, if the goal drives someone to obsession, not having any fun, not appreciating the experience, boredom, mindless routine, sadness, etc., that goal may not be the best thing for that particular person. One person's goal may be another's detriment. It's not for everyone.
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

I've been climbing since 1983 and always tried to make each climb an "occasion." Getting burned out is common. IMO, 20 in one year is a bunch. If you concentrated on the Front, Mosquito and Sawatch ranges, you can be forgiven for burnout. I climbed 5 in the first year and then took seven years off. Looking back, the 5 I climbed were amongst the least loved peaks. I didn't plan it that way and always figured I would climb more but just didn't until I met my wife and we climbed semi regularly until 2000 when we took another 7 years off. We took it up again in 2007 at age 56 and I vowed not to let any more seven year breaks happen! A buddy of mine got the bug and I agreed to climb some hard ones with him that my wife would not climb. By 2012, I had 40+ and decided to finish up which I did in 2015. In all that time, I never climbed more than about 7-8 new ones a year. I will admit, when I got down to 3-4 left, it started to feel like a burden. This is also common. I just wanted to finish so I could go back to hiking and climbing for just the joy of it.

If you haven't ventured into the Elks, Sangres or San Juans yet, plan a trip, make it special. It beats getting up in the middle of the night on a weekend and making a mad dash to a TH 1-3 hours away.

Best,
Dave
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

jpieta24 wrote:I don't know why so many people are being so negative and that it's so overrated to climb all of them. Lots of people in Colorado climb 14ers and it's not a novel quest to do them all, and there are no T-shirts or parades at the end, but who cares? You climb them for yourself. Its a personal achievement to complete something you set out to do. I win a small battle with myself every time I get to the summit. One of my favorite quotes is "It's not the Mountains we conquer, but ourselves" and that's how, for me, I connect with each climb. Someone commented they ask "why am I doing this to myself?", I say that to myself on every mountain and I am always planning the next one. You are lacking motivation, that is more than normal. Try to remember why you do it, take a break, do some other things, but if it's what you want to do, keep going, and I promise I'll have a beer with you on the top of your final one!
Maybe I'm reading these comments differently than you are, but I've only seen one or two people make comments about it being overrated. From my interpretation, most folks are simply offering advice on how to deal with burnout, not "being negative" or labelling finishing as overrated. :-k
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
MTNCLmber64169
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MTNCLmber64169 »

Hey everyone who replied, I am overwhelmed by the shear number of people who took the time to reply and share their own experiences. There's a lot of common themes that I'm going to take home from this. I am going to take some time off, try some different activities and if I get back into it, get out of the Sahwatch range and try some more challenging and unique mountains. And as well as try and find some people to join me. I can't say thanks enough for the positive experience I've hd reaching out on this forum.
RhodoRose
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

Good thoughts, observations, and suggestions in this thread. Thank-you for the question, MTNCLmber64169, and thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

Peak bagging fatigue ... literally. I get burnt out on the lack of sleep involved doing this nonsense. I am simply not wired where I can put myself to bed at 7 or 8pm the night before, so I can get a proper night's rest before getting up at a horrible hour. Many times I have questioned the insanity of pushing yourself to your physical limits, the day after a lousy night's sleep. Sheesh. But I keep coming back for more, so my mind must mostly suppress those negative thoughts, and let the memories of the wonderful experiences shine through.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

powhound wrote: I am simply not wired where I can put myself to bed at 7 or 8pm the night before, so I can get a proper night's rest before getting up at a horrible hour..
I've been an insomniac my entire adult life and occasionally, I will take half of a Lunesta tablet which puts me out for a solid 6-7 hours. That does allow me to go to bed @ 7PM and get up at that horrible hour. For me, induced sleep is not as good as natural sleep but it is a heck of a lot better than no sleep. I've tried melatonin, chamomile tea, warm milk, valerian, eating early, eating late, etc. and none really worked for me so Lunesta it is. Expensive, for sure (which is why I take only a half a pill once in a while), but there isn't a good substitute for sleep...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

I've really enjoyed reading all the thoughtful responses in this thread. This stood out the most to me:
AnnaG22 wrote: we do ourselves a disservice when ignore the other parts of ourselves.
Several years ago I found myself in the opposite side of this and was ignoring my passion for the mountains because of life circumstance. Now, my circumstances haven't really changed but my attitude has. I no longer deny my desire to be in the mountains and find ways to make it work. While I do have a list I'm working toward, it is not the 14ers nor am I exclusively focused on my list. I enjoy choosing hikes and peaks that I find intriguing. This summer I have done way more 9ers and under than anticipated but have thoroughly enjoyed them. I also got my first fly rod this summer and will be happy to trade a couple 13ers for a couple trout.

I have discovered that I have trails within walking distance, many choices within 30 minutes, tons within 1 hour and a mind blowing number of options within 2 hours. I love being able to do a 5 hour hike and be home with enough time and energy to do the laundry.

My recommendation is to take it easy and explore your backyard; what you find will surprise you.