Burnt out on peak bagging?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Burnt out on peak bagging?

Post by DArcyS »

In this thread https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=36 I said this:
DArcyS wrote:As for casual peak baggers, I figure they soon lose interest, and I have a couple litmus tests to assess whether they really like climbing or if they're in it for other reasons. First, do they have a regular workout routine? If not, they soon figure out that hiking up a peak is very similar to exercise, which is somewhat annoying on a week night and even more so on a weekend. Second, how far up a mountain does a "hiker" want to drive their vehicle to start their hike? When people want to drive high up a mountain to claim a summit, as I see it, they don't like hiking or climbing that much and they will ultimately lose interest -- perhaps after finishing the 14ers -- and find something else to do that they enjoy more.
Part of the reason why I haven't burned out is that I like to keep in shape. Climbing a peak is a part of that objective.

One tip to avoid burnout is to set a goal to climb a reasonable number of peaks per year (and this number is dependent upon your work and family circumstances). If you set the goal to climb 5-10 14ers a year, you won't find yourself "needing" to go to the mountains every weekend to work on your list. You'll stay fresh and keep your hobby alive for 5-10 years. At the end of the year you'll feel good about meeting your goal, and you won't be frustrated with the number of remaining peaks on your list (which is probably more of a factor with the larger peak lists).

In the end, you have to like hiking, but like many other things, moderation helps to avoid burnout.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Mtnman200 wrote:Others have made good suggestions about avoiding burnout. I would add that it helps to have a partner to share the experience.
My wife and I climbed them together which helped when one of us was less motivated the other helped to keep focus on the goal of completing the14ers.

A few years removed and a child last year, she's now considering a return trip to 14ers she enjoyed but has no desire to deal with masses of people.

I found another list or two closer to home to expand my skills and to continue exploring RMNP. All along we've continued hiking together which is why we started hiking the 14ers any way.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

If you've lost motivation for hiking 14ers, do something that interests you more. The peaks will always be there when you regain that motivation!

I periodically burn out on peaks or skiing, usually near the end of a long season. For me it seems more to do with the stress of trying to interpret weather forecasts, getting up stupid early, driving long distances with bad traffic, or having to deal with high maintenance/demanding partners. After spending months planning, worrying and watching the weather for my Chicago Basin trip, I couldn't seem to motivate to get back out there to ski something else - for 2 weeks. The weather was bad, nothing looked good/safe, so instead I did something that held my motivation. It turned out to be a project at home, cleaning out the garage some more. After that little break, I felt more invigorated to go ski some more peaks.

People are hiking peaks well into their 80's, so as long as you stay reasonably fit, you likely have decades left to hike!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

DArcyS wrote:
One tip to avoid burnout is to set a goal to climb a reasonable number of peaks per year (and this number is dependent upon your work and family circumstances). If you set the goal to climb 5-10 14ers a year, you won't find yourself "needing" to go to the mountains every weekend to work on your list. You'll stay fresh and keep your hobby alive for 5-10 years. At the end of the year you'll feel good about meeting your goal, and you won't be frustrated with the number of remaining peaks on your list (which is probably more of a factor with the larger peak lists).

In the end, you have to like hiking, but like many other things, moderation helps to avoid burnout.
This is what I had in mind when I set my "2017 Goals". I didn't want to get sucked into 14er bagging so I decided I would only do one per month (June/July - ski season) at most. I prefer 13ers anyway (way fewer people) and decided I'd rather focus on Centennials and other less traveled mountains.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Good thread, I like this discussion.

Yes, I do get a bit burned out on it, mostly from the driving and checking that the weather will hold up on the weekends. I'm also a person of lists, for better or worse. I've done a fair number of things, but struggle to keep that perspective. Part of me just wants to sit and watch the wildflowers and relax, but I don't ever really relax.

Don't get me wrong, I get a kick out of hiking and love the scenery. I just wish I could get into that mode where I feel unhurried and calm. This site doesn't really help, with these crazy feats of mountain climbing, Facebook posts *while* hiking, FKT's, and all that stuff.
IG: jc_solitude
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

I'll echo what most others have said and say that mixing up activities, peaks, objectives, outings, etc. really helps to keep things interesting. In the summer and fall I have general-ish rotation of long mountain run, 14er or 14er link-up, long rollerski somewhere in the mountains, repeat. I'm starting to explore farther away from the Front and central ranges this year. I am not a huge fan of overnight backpacking, and I don't do any rock climbing, so I like doing runs/hikes that can be done in a day or weekend. I plan my hiking schedule based as a training method for cross-country skiing, but it's still fun to hike for its own sake. Some days it feels like I've done everything worth/possibly doing for my interests and skill set in Summit and Lake counties. But I'm really looking forward to getting into the San Juans and Elks for the first time in the summer. And maybe next summer I'll be able to do some of the more challenging mountains in the Sangres. I find also that planning longer, harder, more ambitious and more committing outings in familiar places like Summit County or the Indian Peaks helps to keep the stoke high. "I've run that loop, and that one, and summitted that mountain, so why not do them all at once?"

I do agree though that the Sawatch can be a miserable range. I did Princeton last week and had to park at the bottom. The hike was pretty doable for me in terms of physical demands, but slogging up and down that road was one of the most mind-numbing things I've ever done. Only 5 more in that range for me.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
summitwolf
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 164 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by summitwolf »

Great discussion. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this and can definitely relate as I often have the same mental struggles when it comes to burn out.

In addition to some of the great suggestions already posted, something else I have found that helps to rekindle that fire is to become a mentor to folks that are just starting out on their 14er/ peak bagging journeys. Not only are you giving back to our little community by doing this, you're getting the chance to relive the whole experience again through a new pair of eyes. Think back to when you summited your first 14er. Remember how exciting and amazing it was? Each time I mentor someone, I get to relive the experience through their eyes as if I am climbing that peak for the very first time again. The excitement, the awe, the sense of wonder, the thrill of accomplishment. It all comes rushing back and adds a fresh perspective to why I love this hobby so much.

The truth is, all of us on this site have won the lottery when it comes to where we live and what we have chosen to do as a pastime. Most people only dream of experiencing the things that we take for granted each day when we head to the mountains. So, pay it forward and spread the wealth a little and you might just enjoy the dividends of renewed passion.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
jagorzynski
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jagorzynski »

I can see doing 20 peaks in a season burning anyone out tbh. It took me 5 years to get 20 under my belt, but currently I still have a very strong desire to get out to new peaks and experience the adventure. Doing so many so quick may have made them feel less special maybe? They became the norm as opposed to the exception in your day to day experience? I'd suggest just taking a break. Chances are a couple years from now you'll find yourself on a mountain enjoying it again.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

SurfNTurf wrote: Too many people get caught up trying to form their identities around a 14,000 foot pile of talus. There's nothing wrong with being a more whole person. Life's too short to focus on anything but what brings fulfillment to yourself and those you love.
=D> All of us are more than just these mountains. Yes, they are factors in our identities (to varying degrees per person), but we're all more than just mountains, and we do ourselves a disservice when we ignore the other parts of ourselves. (It also can make the crash that much harder when mountains just aren't feasible for whatever reason.)

Mountains are great. But so are movies, pets, parties, music, food, other traveling... when your mountain interest ebbs, instead of forcing yourself, fill that space with other things.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
ScottsSummit7
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ScottsSummit7 »

I hike with some guys who desire to bag every peak in Colorado. I just go to enjoy the challenge, the company and the view. I try to come down from Chicago every summer to get a different peak in. But, we also put a white-water rafting, or bike ride into our trips to keep things fun and mix it up. My 61 year old father started climbing, and got me into it 5 years ago. Now he's 66 and I'm 46. It's been fun watching him keep himself in shape, and motivating me to keep my own health a priority. Having 3 generations on top of a 14'er is exhilarating. This week we're doing Mt. Harvard with my 16 year old son, nephew, and a couple of cousins (not including several other guys from the church).
MTNCLmber64169 wrote:Hello, I created an account specifically to post this question. I did do a quick search before posting and if I missed any similar posts I apologize. Last summer I got hooked on hiking 14ers and did about 20. I even did a few through the fall and winter. Now it's summer again and I have climbing opportunities every single week and yet I find myself not having any desire to go. Early this morning I actually turned off of Yale because I simply didn't have any desire to be there or to summit. I just feel frustrated because at one point I wanted to do every 14er in the state and now all my motivation is gone. I guess I'm just reaching out for the community to see if this is something people go through or if I'm just a yuppy or what. I didn't want to make this first post too long but if anyone is actually interested in this I can post more specifics. Thanks and be gentle, this is my first post.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

SurfNTurf wrote: Too many people get caught up trying to form their identities around a 14,000 foot pile of talus. There's nothing wrong with being a more whole person. Life's too short to focus on anything but what brings fulfillment to yourself and those you love.

+1
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

AnnaG22 wrote:
=D> All of us are more than just these mountains. Yes, they are factors in our identities (to varying degrees per person), but we're all more than just mountains, and we do ourselves a disservice when we ignore the other parts of ourselves. (It also can make the crash that much harder when mountains just aren't feasible for whatever reason.)

Mountains are great. But so are movies, pets, parties, music, food, other traveling... when your mountain interest ebbs, instead of forcing yourself, fill that space with other things.
Fully agree with both of these comments. I'd expand it beyond the 14ers to include all climbers who pursue lists of one sort or another. Climb because you truly love it, not to fill a void in your life. I suspect a list-completion high will last so briefly it'll be underwhelming. 15 minutes of fame and all that...

-Tom