Adventure and Perspective

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Adventure and Perspective

Post by Jesse M »

Obviously Eli has never been to a Wal-Mart in a big city. :wft:
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The biggest adventure I have had in Colorado is driving in Denver. That really does scare the he** out of me every single time I've done it.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

blazintoes wrote:How about the Evolta robot that climbed up a rope for seven hours in the Grand Canyon on AA batteries, that’s an adventure and worth posting about.
Wait, wait, wait....a fu*kin robot jugged up a rope up in the GC.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Scott P wrote:The biggest adventure I have had in Colorado is driving in Denver. That really does scare the he** out of me every single time I've done it.
What's scary about crawling along at 8mph on a highway? :?
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

To the OP, I think it's awesome you are developing a passion for climbing and mountaineering at your age. You might consider doing some of the more interesting peaks in the Elks, Sangres, and the San Juan's before you completely write off Colorado mountains as mundane. Heck, check out some of the 12ers and 13ers in the Gore range even (sorry, I didn't say that). You haven't even tasted what Colorado has to offer, my friend. It's no wonder you think these mountains are boring (yes, I peeked at your checklist). I did just want to give you a little something to think about on the topic of "adventure and perspective" though. In the grand scheme of things, climbing (sorry, or hiking) mountains really isn't all that important. This is applicable regardless of how you choose to define adventure. We're not out there contributing to advances in medicine or scientific knowledge, addressing world hunger, or helping to bring peace to the Middle East by getting to the top of a mountain (I could go on but I think you'll take my point). Rather, we are consuming resources getting to trailheads and by outfitting ourselves with high end gear. We are also needlessly causing our loved ones to worry for hours on end. At the same time, recreating in the mountains can add value to our lives. It can help us feel more connected to others, increase our ability to cope with life stressors, and even give us the confidence to take on challenges in our personal or professional lives. And, yes, it can also fuel our egos. We all have different reasons for doing what we do. For some, these benefits can be achieved through summiting a first 14er. For others, it might need to be something more substantial like climbing in the Himalayas (if only I had the time and money...) or putting in a first ascent on a mountain in some remote area of the world. Either way, we're still only recreating in the mountains. Even if we have figured out how to get someone else to pay for it. So what if some Average Joe boasts on Facebook or Instagram about what he or she did over the weekend? Keep in mind that you do not know their story. If you don't like it, take your own advice and move along!
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Brian C wrote:This about sum it up for you Eli?

http://semi-rad.com/2017/05/but-did-you ... -climb-it/
Funny. A bit of plagiarism or coincidence, from 2012: https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ot#p411343
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
dstelk
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dstelk »

Well, crap. I owe you an apology, Eli. All my life, I've been using the word 'adventure', oblivious to the fact that you own it's definition and appropriate use. My bad! All this time, I've thought adventure was individual in that what constitutes an adventure to one, may be a walk in the park to another. Silly me......thanks for setting me, and everybody else, straight, with your diatribe. I guess there will be no more adventures for me, until I climb Annapurna naked, in the winter, with an 8lb bratwurst hanging out of my rectum. Until then, I guess I'll just fumble through the mountains, eating glue and crayons, looking for my missing chromosome, in hopes that will be the link I'm missing to pursue true adventure........and finally gain your majesty's nod of approval.
I saw this wino eating grapes, and I was like, "Dude.....you have to wait!" ~ Mitch Hedberg
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

dstelk wrote:...
Salty.jpg
Salty.jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Jesus this topic was obnoxious.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

SkaredShtles wrote:What's scary about crawling along at 8mph on a highway? :?
The vehicle behind you.
billkat
14ers: 20 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by billkat »

I feel so deflated now. I thought I was doing so well at 69 and completing my 20th 14er. Now I just feel old and mundane. I know this doesn't compare to a real adventure, but to me it is a challenge to do the best I can personally do.
And I do congratulate and admire anyone who does anything to challenge themselves. Whether it is an adventure or not.