Adventure and Perspective

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Adventure and Perspective

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

One is entitled to their own sense of perspective, and can often provide their own as counter to, or in support of, another's perspective, but one's "perspective" can not definitively change the meaning of a word.

Some may be trolling here, others just may be salty, some may even be wholly inexperienced with anything to do with what some are talking about, but it doesn't change the fact that we all derive the same meaning of adventure from the same roots of the language that the rest of our words stem from. Whether you've had an adventure or not, doesn't change the parameters and definition of what an adventure is. You can call an adventure a walk-in-the-park or you can call it a mountaineering experience or it can be a touristy trip across the world, but what you can't define is what someone else's "adventure" is simply because your perspective doesn't line up with theirs. Furthermore, putting down others, or "negging", because their adventures don't match up with *your* idea of what an adventure is, or should be, doesn't mean they haven't had an adventure, it just means you have a different definition of adventure that isn't actually the definition of adventure. And, that's fine, define it how you want, but your definition/perspective doesn't actually change what the word means, even if you choose to be willfully ignorant to the actual definition.

The very basic definitions of adventure generally come back to something that involves the unknown, taking risks, and/or is an unusual and exciting or daring experience.

*Your* adventure is what you make of it, not what some anonymous person on a forum says. An adventure is something that is yours to have, to experience, to cherish, and to relive for as long as you choose to. Life is too short and too fragile, as these mountains have proven altogether too often, for us to sell ourselves short and discount the experiences that we've had because someone's perspective is different than our own. Define adventure how you want, but don't tell me that what I call an adventure is not an adventure just because you don't believe in the definition of the word. My adventures aren't necessarily any better, or worse, than your own experiences, but just because someone doesn't feel they've had an adventure or gone on an adventure doesn't mean I haven't.

An adventure is ultimately an individual's experience of some particular event that they participated in, in one way, shape, form or another. And, if that event was, to the individual, inherently risky, dangerous, caused excitement, pushed them into an unknown territory (whether it be physically, psychologically, intellectually, etc.), and/or resulted in the evocation of feelings that persist after the event happened, then they probably had an adventure.

Language is important, words and definitions matter, they help us shape our own personal narratives and we flesh out our life stories from the language(s) that we share, so be careful what words you use, when you use them, and most importantly, how you use them because while you're entitled to your own opinions, it doesn't mean that your opinions are right (or necessarily wrong for that fact).

Explore more. Get outside. Travel near and far.

The only perspective you need to have an adventure is your own.
Wilberfoss44
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wilberfoss44 »

"An adventure is ultimately an individual's experience of some particular event that they participated in...."
Of course this is it and we are all quibbling over a definition. A definition which is individual and based on an individual's experience. Perhaps we mean challenge rather than adventure? I understood the initial post to be an opportunity to reflect on life. We strive so diligently to provide a life of comfort and safety, then question ourselves at the weekend when our "adventures" are so safe and contrived.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Eli Boardman wrote:
TallGrass wrote:Eli, have you had an adventure, and if so, what was it?
I don't think so.
So if you're not arguing based on experience, then what is all this by you based on?
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Eli Boardman wrote:
I don't think so. The closest would be the Winds trip last summer, but I knew those mountains pretty well due to Google Earth going in.
The use of Google Earth means that you're not really seeking adventure after all.
strayster2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

It's not a real adventure if you use your legs.

You should have to pull yourself around with just your right arm.

Just like Wolfgang Armstrong-Schmidtler when he did the first one-arm, no-oxygen climb of K2 in the late 1800's.

Anything less is just tourism.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

To all those arguing semantics, you're missing the point. Pick your favorite overused adjective to describe an event and substitute it if it helps.
TallGrass wrote:So if you're not arguing based on experience, then what is all this by you based on?
Nothing, or maybe something? Definitely not based on much. Probably based the most on the combo of the aforementioned Steve F***ing House post and some thoughts that occured. So really, based on nothing.
12ersRule wrote: The use of Google Earth means that you're not really seeking adventure after all.
Don't remember saying that I was seeking adventure, rather just seeking a discussion of the relativity of adventure in what I see as a modern society of consumer-mountaineering. And this is even more subjective than the content of my OP, but I think contrived adventure is worse than no adventure at all. Not using the resources available for planning seems like running it out above a ledge while climbing a crack with a rack of just-right-sized cams still on your harness.
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

I almost croaked on a class 2 (Mt Yale). I can remember a no-fall-zone move on the ridge direct on Mount Eolus near the top. And a solo on another Class 2 in dodgy weather when no one was around. Nope, not Messner-level stuff. But they seemed like "adventures" in some respect to me. Seems like a silly post.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Eli:
You seem to be struggling with the paradox of seeking adventure while living a privileged and comfortable life.

My recommendation to you is this.

When you are of legal age, abandon all of your resources and find your adventure alone.

No internet, no phone, no friends, no books or stories from WW2 veterans, no money from friends or family... just you, your thoughts, and perhaps the cloths on your back.

I can guarantee that you will find this adventure that you speak of, and it will come much sooner than any summit that you seek.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

In the most least of circumstances, I would never even be thought of as a real mountaineer or adventure seeking adrenaline junkie. I have never actually sought it, however, it has crisscrossed my life, upon occasion.

My hiking/climbing the mountains of Colorado, these days, certainly following my last reconstructive surgery of my left leg, tends to add a bit more, to even the simplest trail, or daily task, for that matter.

I am OK with it. I know it will be different than before I was injured, but I also do everything I can in advance, to accomplish a goal; be it going to the bathroom in my modest home, or hiking to a summit.

The reality for me, every day is an adventure. It may not be true for any other person out there, but for me, the challenge is to remain loyal to the activities I loved all my life, and keeping the will to soldier on and keep participating in those tasks, that have defined me, to myself. I am now an old hippy in every sense of the word. I have fewer years in front of me than behind me. Those years left, will be used to see the world, and if possible, bag a peak along the way.

That may not define adventure to anyone, but to me, and my definition of adventure, it certainly does.

I appreciate your rant. Peace.