Can anyone ID these tracks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Can anyone ID these tracks?

Post by GreenHorn »

Sorry for the quality and lack of perspective but any ideas or help would be appreciated. These were approximately 6" or so across. Found at the American/Grouse pass approx. 13,000 ft.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/myphotos ... cnum=20788

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/myphotos ... cnum=20789
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Can anyone ID these tracks?

Post by Tornadoman »

A small bear maybe? Not many animals are going to leave a 6" track that I can think of. Would be interested to see other folks thoughts...
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

bear
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

Thanks, Bill. That was my initial guess but I thought that may be too high for a bear. Is it typical for them to be at that altitude?
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

GreenHorn wrote:Thanks, Bill. That was my initial guess but I thought that may be too high for a bear. Is it typical for them to be at that altitude?
13,000 seems pretty high, but I've come across bear scat along the 11,000-12,000 range, so I guess it's more common than I would normally reason. I remember reading a wildlife book that noted that bears tend to stick to high elevations, but specifically in the later months of summer and early fall, rather than early summer.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I think the day before I did Culebra (a few years back) there had been a bear essentially on the summit the day before!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.