Senior Thesis Project on 14ers!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
noshirt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Senior Thesis Project on 14ers!

Post by noshirt »

Hi Gals and Guys,

I've already posted this on the Facebook page so I apologize if you are seeing this twice. But, I'm doing a senior thesis project to finish my undergraduate degree at MSU Denver and am studying WHY people climb 14ers. I'm looking for people who live or have lived in the Front Range that have finished roughly 20 or more 14ers. If you fit the population and are willing to help me with my project I would be more than willing to buy you or your group a couple of beers and just chat.

We can also chat via Facebook Chat so I could ask follow up questions.

Or if it's easiest for you I could send over a structured questionnaire via email that you could fill out and send back to me!

Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to see what I find!!

Feel free to respond to this post or PM me.

Thanks,
Joey
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Senior Thesis Project on 14ers!

Post by spiderman »

I don't think that you will find anyone on this site that actually has climbed a 14er. We all just come here to gossip about people who are actually climbing peaks. Anybody with any mountaineering talent would be off climbing 14ers instead of writing dumb posts.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

spiderman wrote:I don't think that you will find anyone on this site that actually has climbed a 14er. We all just come here to gossip about people who are actually climbing peaks.
Especially if they are attempting to climb them all in calendar winter. :wink:

Joey, please feel free to send me a PM. I live in Eagle County now, but previously lived in Boulder for two years and have climbed 29 or 30 peaks. Best of luck on your thesis!
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Good luck with the project. I wish I lived in the area, but if you need to broaden your scope and are interested in flatlander input I'd love to lend a perspective.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Jessiahbram
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jessiahbram »

Feel free to send me a PM as well! I'd love to help you out.

- Jessiah
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Hey, I've got some stories and lessons and insights to spill/share with you regarding 14ers.
I'd be gracious to clank a few pints with ya if it'll help with your thesis.
PM me for my number.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

I am sure that if you posted a survey here that you would get a lot of responses. I'd have no issue filling out a survey.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

What class is this for?
R3Girls
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by R3Girls »

Joey,

I'd be willing to answer some questions too. Getting close to half of them done, but mostly the "easier" ones, all within the last 3 years or so.

Dave
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hey Joey,

Cool project for school writing about mountains - I must have gone to the wrong school!

Happy to help if you don''t mind a viewpoint from an east coaster...
RyanTV77
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RyanTV77 »

Hi Joey,
I've completed 22 different peaks. I'd be willing to help you out.
I live in Ft. Collins and am a native of this great state.
PM me if you want to here my stories.
Ryan
noshirt
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by noshirt »

Thanks for all the responses! I'm playing with the idea of creating a survey online and posting it to this forum for people to answer in a more succinct and easy way.

To people saying they are willing to help check for a PM!

To the person who asked what class this is for: This is for my Advanced Qualitative Methods class at MSU Denver. The class is the capstone/senior level class for the sociology major. The assignment is to create a qualitative research project on a topic of our choice.

-Joey