Kilimanjaro Trip

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dacker89
14ers: List not added

Kilimanjaro Trip

Post by Dacker89 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:07 am

I have a Trip planned for Kilimanjaro this May, I have an extra 9 days to spend in Tanzania and Kenya. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do? I was thinking about Zanzibar, Nairobi, the Serengeti, Mt Meru, or Mt Kenya, and the Crater. Does anyone have any feedback on these places. Obviously I wont do all of these I'm just shooting from the hip right now. Thanks in advance!
Scott P
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Kilimanjaro Trip

Post by Scott P » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:36 am

I was thinking about Zanzibar, Nairobi, the Serengeti, Mt Meru, or Mt Kenya, and the Crater.
Serengeti, Mount Meru, Mt Kenya, and Ngorongoro Crater would all be great, but why Nairobi? I don't know anyone who likes Nairobi. It is one of my least favorite cities (anywhere in the world) as well. Most travelers use Nairobi as a necessary stop in getting to somewhere else, but I don't know anyone who would actually go out of his or her way to visit on purpose.

Zanzibar would be nice, but it is very touristy and the experience is not the same as it would be in other parts of Africa. If you like the beach scene though, you will like it.

One thing to keep in mind is that May is the wet season, so some areas without paved roads might be hard to get to.

If you are going to the Mount Kenya area from Kilimanjaro, there are many things to see on the way as well as in the region. Some of the sites to see in the region are Lake Boringo (our one man tent was surrounded by a herd of hippopotamus at night!), Lake Nakuru (millions of flamingos and many other animals- we saw two leopards), Hell's Gate National Park (walking safari!), and Aberdare National Park (great trekking, culture, and wildlife viewing).

There is some great rafting in the region as well. If you want something further afield, I'd also recommend climbing Mount Elgon from the Uganda side. Since there are less people than Kilimanjaro, you typically see more wildlife, such as blue monkeys and colobus monkeys, the scenery is interesting, and there are some really great hot springs in the crater, as well as the nearby Sipi Falls, one of the most beautiful places in the world that I have seen.

(PS, I have only seen Kenya, Uganda, and northern Tanzania, thus all my recommendations are in that direction. If you are thinking of heading south, maybe someone else can answer).

I think the most important advice in all of this though, is to not spend much time in Nairobi (there are a few sites and museums there though). It seems strange that you are actually considering going out of your way to visit.
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
painless4u2
14ers:summits58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:23 am

Definitely consider safari in Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti.

If you're looking for something really different and maybe life-changing, while in Tanzania go to Arusha and visit the Neema House, an orphanage/rescue center for abandoned babies and for widowed mothers. Maybe even volunteer for a few days. http://www.neemavillage.org/

edit: By the way, the Neema House actually sponsors climbs up Kili each year for raising funds and involvement in the orphanage.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
fleetmack
14ers:summits39 
13ers:summits2 
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 am

Zanzibar (I'll leave this public for a day or two):
https://www.facebook.com/fleetmack/medi ... 905&type=3

Lake Maynara, Ngorongoro Crater, Tarangire National Park:

And for the hell of it, Kilimanjaro:
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor