Chilblains

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Chilblains

Post by JQDivide »

Anyone else get Chilblains?

Chilblains (sometimes called pernio) are small, itchy, painful, red swellings on the skin. Chilblains are caused by an abnormal skin reaction to cold. They tend to occur on 'extremities' that easily become cold. That is, your toes, fingers, nose and earlobes.

Chilblains (CHILL-blayns) are the painful inflammation of small blood vessels in your skin that occur in response to repeated exposure to cold but not freezing air.

I first got them on my couple toes after doing Huron a few Decembers ago. Thought, like many, it was a late reaction to frost nip on my toes.
Went to the doctor and he didn't know for sure. I've done some research and this is what I've come up with.
I have gotten them three winters in a row,usually lasts a couple weeks. Nothing horrible, but still hurts a bit at times.

JQ
Andymcp1
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Chilblains

Post by Andymcp1 »

It is most commonly associated with excess moisture and cold exposure. It is much more prevalent in the south and east coast, it tends bare in colorado since the air is so dry and it's often to cold and thus people get frostbite. I would recommend playing with you sock/shoe combo to reduce sweat that is being trapped by your feet. Also if you smoke or are drinking caffeine prior to going out that can make it worse, anything that causes vasoconstriction will worsen it if you are prone to it.