2017 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2017 Goals

Post by sigepnader »

Colorado:

Elbert
Matterhorn
Edwards/McClellan/Grays
Yale
CCY

Cascades

Rainier
Bachelor
Scott
Watchman Peak
St Helens

Carolinas/Tennessee

Charlies Bunion
LeConte

**Keep my ass in shape
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Ah, this thread again.

My 2015 goal was to finish all the peaks on the Storm King quad. Result? Fail. Due to a large snow year, I cut out one of the trips to the Weminuche that would be required to complete the goal. Although I did knock out Peak 9, and I did climb Lizard Head. So perhaps not a complete fail as far as the year is concerned.

My 2016 goal was to finish my remaining class 3+ 13ers. Result? Fail. I've started to dedicate more time to cycling, so I didn't spend as much time tackling the 13er list. Although I did manage to climb South Lookout Peak.

I now realize my goals are similar to the fisherman who exaggerates his fish tale, except presumably he at least caught a fish first before he exaggerates the event.

So, with that in mind, my utterly unrealistic 2017 goals . . .

Finish in the top 10 in the Mt Evans Hill Climb for my age division in the citizens race. Last year I was #14, but I'm one year older and there are always younger folks coming into the old guys division.

Finish under 3 hours in the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic (Durango to Siverton). Last year was 3hr 13min, but 13 minutes is a lot of time. Hmm.

As far as mountain climbing, I'm regressing. My usual goal has been 20 13ers a year, but to accommodate more time on the bike, it's down to 15. That's an embarrassing number of climbs for serious peak baggers, but even with this low standard, I'll probably fail to meet this goal too.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 56 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

Cleanly Hike about 20 new peaks, repeat about six favorite peaks on new routes to me, car camp at least a dozen times, backpack at least four, meet new people that don't suck, stay healthy, develop exiting friendships , make it to 2018.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Got to be accountable for 2016 first, here is my post from that thread
All 2016 goals:
Read The Dark Tower series (Steven King). 8 books - I'm already halfway though #2
Run 500 miles (toning it down from the last 2 years' goals of around 700 - hurt my knee in November so didn't make my 2015 goal :( )
Bike 1000 miles - 0 of those which I am allowed to wear spandex or a stupid bike jersey (yes, I know I have on spandex in my profile pic, I've learned since 2009 that it's pointless)
1/2 marathon in March & December (complete my goal of having run one in every month)
300+ total workouts (not counting hiking or snowboarding)
Complete sprint triathlon, if that goal is met, complete olympic distance
Make FleetWife laugh every day

And one non-concrete one: Become a good dad to FleetBaby (arriving 2/22)
Dark tower - done
Run 500 miles - for the first time since 2009 I didn't do this
Bike 1000 miles - debatable, too much time on a trainer
1/2 marathon - ran one, but not in those months
300+ workouts - met that
sprint tri - didn't do it, but will this year, I simply got too lazy to sing up
Make FleetWife laugh every day - think so
FleetBaby - I think I'm doing ok, so much that I forefitted most of my 2016 goals to simply play with her every day!

2017 goals:
Climb Pyramid
Finish my Oracle Certified Associate certification (1 test to go)
Sprint Traithlon
Run 500 miles
Run 1/2 Marathon in either March or December
300+ workouts total
complete Johns Hopkins Data Science program (2/3 done as of today)
Continue my several-year trend of never talking about politics
Make FleetWife laugh every day
Make FleetBaby laugh every day
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

a 2-week road trip with the wife and kids, camping in cabins and tents in various western states and going on a number of short hikes over that span.
2 short (2-3 day) car-camping trips with family.
2 short (1-night) backpacking trips with the kids.
a dozen or so short-to-moderate day hikes with the family
Sky Pond (my favorite hike of its difficulty level) with the wife
Learn some map & compass skills, take a navigation course, and do several off-trail excursions over the course of the year
Get more comfortable using my tarp for a shelter
a 1-night solo backpacking trip in LCW
a 2-night solo backpacking trip in IPW
a 3-night solo backpacking trip in Canyonlands
a 4-night solo backpacking trip in the Wind River Range (or Weminuche as backup)
Do something in the Gore Range (maybe Vista Peak?)
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

2016 recap: My passion for the mountains was reignited last year. I didn't set a mountain goal until April when I decided that my percieved life-dictating hiatus on hiking needed to end (I should dictate my life, not the other way around) and that was to go for a hike at least once a month and once a week during the summer. I managed to hike every month April-November and every week in the summer except one.

My 2017 goal is going to stay the same. January is already looking bleak but if I can make snowshoeing happen on the 28th I might just have a chance. To give me some direction during the summer I'll be working on my 13+ers named on Nat. Geo. map 104 (Idaho Springs) list. I also expect to do Mt. Alice in RMNP and the Arapaho traverse.

Oh, and spend more nights in the mountains. Last year was one, so let's quintuple it this year!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I enjoyed searching back on 2015 and 2016 goals.

Mount Cameron
Peak 1 or ten mile peak
James peak
Blanca group
Euolus group

I managed all of those except for the euolus group.

My 2016 ambition is making plans to achieve my goals.

Done!

For 2017 I'd like to keep my streak alive of skiing at least one new 14er, I'm at 18 years right now. Go me!
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

A few years back I kind of switched to a more generic goal of exploring new areas, getting summits in states, counties, Wilderness areas and National Parks that I have never been to before.

For 2016 I reached that goal...

New States: Oregon, New Mexico
New Counties: Klamath (Oregon); Rio Arriba, Taos, Mora (NM); Wayne (Utah)
Wilderness Areas: Pecos, Wheeler Peak (NM)
National Parks: Crater Lake (Oregon); Capitol Reef (Utah)

I also wanted to hit the 500 mark on ranked 13ers in Colorado, just made it. My last new 13er last year was #500.

Hoping to keep the trend going with exploring new places, and keep plugging away on the 13er list, no specific target just as many as I can in the coming year.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Drink moar beer.
Ride moar bikes.
Ski moar powder.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Have fun. Same as every year.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I should have written, "DON'T get hit by a car!", but if I did, it would have taken less than 2 weeks to break that "goal".

Although this seriously impacts my, "Ride LOTS of bikes!" goal.

RIP Bike. (I'm fine-ish)
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

Just coming off surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon, I hope to get back out there this summer. [-o< I still have mountains to climb dammit!
Its got ELECTROLYTES!