Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Post by Jay521 »

Scott P wrote:
For some silly reason, I thought that the angel of shavano would be steeper and scarier.
Same here. It was also a lot shorter (the snow climb part) than I thought it would be too. It's barely steep enough to glissade. I was disappointed with the route.
I agree that the climb was easier/shorter than I thought it would be, but the approach was a bit of a bear the day we did it. But I thought it was one of the best glissades I ever had. Again, the day we did it, we got up a lot of speed and enjoyed it a lot.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

This is a great example: I did the Angel last May in winds that were super brutal ... It made it one of the most risky times I had in the mountains. The wind-chill was bad enough that having your hands out of the gloves for more than maybe 30 seconds would get them too cold to operate. Everything done when going into or out of the pack had to be done super carefully so nothing would blow away. Partner and I could not communicate at all.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I agree that the climb was easier/shorter than I thought it would be, but the approach was a bit of a bear the day we did it.
Same here. The approach was challenging, but not the fun kind of challenging. We made the mistake of ditching our snowshoes and it was waist deep potholing in boulders and trees. The Angel itself was more fun, but not challenging. Too bad the Angel doesn't extend farther down the mountain.

The Angel is still worth doing, but I was expecting it to be a bit longer and steeper.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Overrated: Knife edge on Kelso Ridge.

Underrated: Traversing the white rock just past the knife edge on Kelso Ridge.

Overrated: The Catwalk on Eolus (still very cool though).

Underrated: The ridge direct route on Eolus (not the ledges of the standard route), particularly an airy move not too far below the summit.

All that's based on comparably limited experience.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I LOVED the angel! You can see it from town building anticipation, great camping at the trailhead, the mystery of getting off the main trail using the photos on this site to find the right turnoff, battling with all those down trees until... there it is! Right in front of you!

Never a bad day in the mountains!