Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Post by Tory Wells »

AyeYo wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:Since you say it is in jest, AyeYo, and the rest of us just think your opinions are lame, maybe you could resist from hijacking otherwise good threads and stop posting your nonsense. That would be greeeeat, thanks.

Make a worthwhile contribution to the forum or just go away, please.
My bad. I'd really hate to be the one to derail that awesome Spire bolt thread and it's 11 pages of highly productive spankings to the OP as he tries to come up with new and increasingly ridiculous reasons everyone should be mad at Tallgrass.
Regardless, there was a lot of good discussion there about wilderness and if placing that bolt was appropriate. Your contributions only detracted from the discussion, which is pretty much what all of your posts do.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

12ersRule wrote:
Not true, I just silently seethed at your elitist bs as you dissed my favorite route in all of Colorado.

:cry:
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Tory Wells wrote:Regardless, there was a lot of good discussion there about wilderness and if placing that bolt was appropriate. Your contributions only detracted from the discussion, which is pretty much what all of your posts do.
And they detracted from it no more than (and maybe even less than) the people coming in with the "BUT BUT BUT it'll make the route too easy to climb!!!!!" totally uninformed and ridiculous statements. It's the internet, man. Relax a little. It was a dumb thread. Some fun was had in it. None of the dumb posts prevented what little good discussion there was.
Tory Wells
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

AyeYo wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:Regardless, there was a lot of good discussion there about wilderness and if placing that bolt was appropriate. Your contributions only detracted from the discussion, which is pretty much what all of your posts do.
And they detracted from it no more than (and maybe even less than) the people coming in with the "BUT BUT BUT it'll make the route too easy to climb!!!!!" totally uninformed and ridiculous statements. It's the internet, man. Relax a little. It was a dumb thread. Some fun was had in it. None of the dumb posts prevented what little good discussion there was.
Just food for thought, bro. If it was me being called out for being a troll, I might take note of that and maybe see that making a change is in order.

But apparently you don't see that.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Tory Wells wrote:
AyeYo wrote:
Just food for thought, bro. If it was me being called out for being a troll, I might take note of that and maybe see that making a change is in order.

But apparently you don't see that.

I've been interneting for way too many years to care. BS thread was/is BS. I know, I know, internet... serious business. I promise I won't go back in and distract anyone from creating 11 more pages of meaningless crap.
Tory Wells
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I disagree AyeYo. That thread has a lot of good discussion on rock climbing ethics, logistics and practices. I learned a lot in spite of having to wade through plenty of detractive, trolling posts.

If you ever wish to develop the skills necessary to make a climb of the Spire (as I do), you would see that.

-Steve Gladbach
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

Tory Wells wrote:I disagree AyeYo. That thread has a lot of good discussion on rock climbing ethics, logistics and practices. I learned a lot in spite of having to wade through plenty of detractive, trolling posts.

If you ever wish to develop the skills necessary to make a climb of the Spire (as I do), you would see that.
Yep. It is better to remain quiet and sift through the junk and keep the nuggets.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Basically, everything on AyeYo's completed list TBH.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

tlongpine wrote:Basically, everything on AyeYo's completed list TBH.
WE NEED SOME ICE UP IN HERE YA'LL =D>
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

OK, I know some might disagree, but I would put the slopes from the Amphitheater to the saddle on Pyramid in this category. But I mean this in a good way...after all the horror stories and suggestions of wearing microspikes and dire warnings about one slip and you're dead, I was pleased to discover that, at least in dry, ice-free conditions, this is really just a steep class 2 trail with a couple of slick sections, but not much in the way of exposure. And I say this as someone who HATES steep, slick dirt (e.g. I put the descent from the Daly saddle in the "underhyped" post). Anyway, all this is subjective, obviously, but I don't think anyone planning on climbing Pyramid should be too discouraged by this section. I'd worry much more about finding the right exit from the Green Gully, and not getting nailed by goat-triggered rockfall.
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Post by twhalm »

AyeYo wrote:
Which was then nearly unanimously agreed on. So I guess that'd be more of a fact than an elitist opinion.
I guess that means the opinion that you should stop posting in this thread is more of a fact....

Also, I saw the summit block of Sunshine in the underhyped thread, but me and the group I was with all agreed that that block was incredibly overhyped. I took both the leap and the scrambling face way up the block and both were pretty okay. BUT, if you didn't have experience with exposure, I could see that block being terrifying.
MikeK
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MikeK »

twhalm wrote:
AyeYo wrote:
Which was then nearly unanimously agreed on. So I guess that'd be more of a fact than an elitist opinion.
I guess that means the opinion that you should stop posting in this thread is more of a fact....

Also, I saw the summit block of Sunshine in the underhyped thread, but me and the group I was with all agreed that that block was incredibly overhyped. I took both the leap and the scrambling face way up the block and both were pretty okay. BUT, if you didn't have experience with exposure, I could see that block being terrifying.
I had experience with exposure, but the judge told to to stop or I'd go to jail.