Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Post by Trotter »

goingup wrote: It's important that the "over hyped" sections stay that way. It saves lives and keeps a natural progression to climbing them, start easy, build a skill set, become a more sure footed climber etc.

Confidence without ego is the sexiest trait a person can have. This question is silly and can be answered with one word: Perspective.

+1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
RonfarZ3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RonfarZ3 »

Also back on topic, there are a few sections which receive a lot of "hype" that I felt could be easily avoided:
- The Class 4 chimney on N. Maroon can be bypassed by a Class 3 section to the side.
- The Class 2 gully on Lindsey can be bypassed by the Class 3 route up the ridge.
- The Class 4 move on Mount Wilson can be bypassed by hiking from Kilpacker.
- The "2,800 ft. of suck" on Maroon can be mostly bypassed by a route that's just to the left of it (although finding that same route on the way down is a different issue).

Still, I will agree with some assessments of overhyped sections:
- The catwalk on Eolus.
- The knife-edge on Capitol (I'll even include getting to the top of K2 in this).
- Kit Carson Avenue (getting back down from Challenger was way more irritating).
- The hourglass on Little Bear (granted, this is with no other hikers to knock rocks on, or vice versa).
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Surprised no one has mentioned the ledges on Sherman
please rotate your device
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Hungry Jack wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the ledges on Sherman
Those belong in the "underhyped" thread.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

annamigl wrote:I was completely hyped up for the narrows section up Longs... almost as much of a let down as the knife edge!
I agree, the narrows is a cool place but you literally just walk across. Even when covered with (stable) snow it was not a big deal. Each time I've been up the loft or keyhole the homestretch was the sketchiest part -- dare I say it is underhyped.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

goingup wrote:^^^

I am not so sure what kind of "community dialogue" this thread has created. But I don't think that people let Kit Carson Ave. deter them from climbing the mtn. Most of the accidents on KC happen because people miss the exit on the way down, not actually on the avenue, I thought that was common knowledge.

Most people use this website to aid in navigation of the 14ers, there is even an app and a downloadable version of all the standard and even some non standard routes. Those routes were carefully put together and bring extra attention to sections that need extra attention. I mean Capitol's Knife has huge exposure on both sides, is that a fact? The over or under hyping is in the mind of the individual. People miss the exit of Kit Carson's Avenue, wander down too far, get off route and need rescue or fall, is that a fact? On Pyramid Peak you have to make a small jump across a broken ledge, is that a fact? People miss the crossover on Crestone Needle and there are consequences, is that a fact?

I suppose I over reacted, this is not the first time I have seen threads along this line, it is just the first time I have chose to respond. Sorry if I am out of place. Also, I am not a 14ers facebook member :-D

I think you're missing the point that threads like these, aside from the fun of making jokes, are a great way to bring the hype levels back to reality and keep the elite mountaineers in check. The elite mountaineers here and on social media tend to hype their 14er routes into K2 expeditions, which deters and scares off new people. While under-hype isn't safe either (hence my other thread), over-hype only serves to inflate egos while offering no additional safety margin.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

Richard Derkase wrote:
AyeYo wrote: are a great way to bring the hype levels back to reality and keep the elite mountaineers in check. The elite mountaineers here and on social media tend to hype their 14er routes into K2 expeditions,
Yo Yo, why don't you go back and post some more anti-elitist bulls**t on the Spire thread? That worked out well for you, didn't it?

Stay safe in the Sawatch...

Dick
What the frick did you just fricking say about me, you little pipsqueak? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the AIARE Level 1 Avalanche, and I’ve been involved in numerous 4th class climbs, and I have over 300 confirmed summits. I am trained in gorilla climbing tactis and I’m the best climber in the entire Sierra Club. You are nothing to me but just another unprepared ant on Grays and Torreys. I will wipe you the frick out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my frickin words. You think you can get away with saying that crap to me over the Internet? Think again, doofus. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of climbers across the USA and your camping location is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re frickin dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can summit Evans in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just free solo. Not only am I extensively trained in unaided climbing, but I have access to the entire arsenal of gear at REI and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little stain. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fricking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will smear fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fricking dead, kiddo.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

As this thread has morphed into an "elite mountaineer" diatribe, would someone please define what an elite Colorado mountaineer is and as it pertains to 14ers?
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

oldschool wrote:As this thread has morphed into an "elite mountaineer" diatribe, would someone please define what an elite Colorado mountaineer is and as it pertains to 14ers?
Only the Great and Wise AyeYo could possibly answer that question, since apparently he is the only one who can see them.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Those posters aren't elitists. No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.
please rotate your device
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

oldschool wrote:As this thread has morphed into an "elite mountaineer" diatribe, would someone please define what an elite Colorado mountaineer is and as it pertains to 14ers?
A winter ascent of Mt Logan should count, no?