Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MikeK
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Post by MikeK »

I was going to say that the Evans parking lot is over-hyped, but then I remembered the walk to the rest rooms that raised my heart rate into the lower 80s, whilst being watched by a mountain goat that had that "turn over the Doritos, bub" sneer. I refused to acquiesce.

Hard to over-hype an epic like that. Badass? Damned straight I am.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

Why do so many threads have to go in such a negative direction? I truly appreciate the insight from other more experienced hikers (hence why I'm here) but all too often people want to skew the narrative for their own enjoyment. I pretty don't know anyone personally who hikes very much so I look to you all for help. Just sucks when threads go negative.

Anyways, after holding off on Capitol until I felt comfortable (this summer is my first true, full hiking season) I thought the hike up K2 and the Knife Edge were maybe slightly over-hyped. Only because the return trip wasn't a problem. Mostly mental but it was a healthy skepticism. Like previous posters have said "Respect the progression" and there isn't a single 14er (except Spire now I guess) that will be out of your reach. Watching videos and reading TRs helped me know what I was getting into.

Of course, nothing can really stop the idiots that try to go so fast they are out of control and end up kicking rocks. This weekend, I was more worried about the 2 idiots that kicked rocks three times (once right above me) and another that kicked up a large dust cloud involving very large rocks
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

oldschool wrote:As this thread has morphed into an "elite mountaineer" diatribe, would someone please define what an elite Colorado mountaineer is and as it pertains to 14ers?
You want this Jeff Foxworthy style, "you might be an 'elite mountaineer' if"?

if... you're constantly whining to keep safety features/items away from routes you've done, out of some near-paranoia sense of "not decreasing the difficulty", lest someone highly inferior to you threaten your blessed check mark (Boltgate 2016 - awesome name whoever it was that came up with that).

if... you like to make highly dubious slippery slope arguments (arrow/mark on Crestone Needle will turn into a Walmart on the summit)

if... your inconsistent definition of LNT is the only one that matters, so you can do things convenient for you while condemning others for doing things convenient for them.

if... you believe in your heart you're awesome and superior because you've walked up more day trip summits (which is what they all are - except the Spire, which is why we must protect it so I can remain ELITE!!!) than other people who have walked up less day trip summits.

if... you worship arbitrary rules like the "3000ft rule" and whine about anything that might increase ease of access for the inferior to your beloved check marks, but drive your lifted Jeep up old mine roads to cut down on RT mileage for your hikes.

if... you measure awesomeness/cool factor/life accomplishment/intelligence in 14er summits

if... you think supplemental oxygen is "cheating", but GPS, modern synthetic clothes and climbing protection, crampons, light weight axes, etc. are not.

if... (this one is far more common on the Facebook group) you confuse your good luck streak with superior skill and the bad luck of others with inferior skill (the "it'll never happen to me because I'm more awesome than them" mentality)

if... everything you post includes a humblebrag and/or list of your coolest peaks even when totally irrelevant to the topic

if... you're not actually elite, but think you are.

if... you're offended by this post because internet 14ering is srs bidniz.

Hardly a comprehensive list, but you get the idea. The truly elite rarely act so.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

if... you're constantly whining to keep safety features/items away from routes you've done, out of some near-paranoia sense of "not decreasing the difficulty", lest someone highly inferior to you threaten your blessed check mark (Boltgate 2016 - awesome name whoever it was that came up with that).

if... you like to make highly dubious slippery slope arguments (arrow/mark on Crestone Needle will turn into a Walmart on the summit)
if... your inconsistent definition of LNT is the only one that matters, so you can do things convenient for you while condemning others for doing things convenient for them.
if... you believe in your heart you're awesome and superior because you've walked up more day trip summits (which is what they all are - except the Spire, which is why we must protect it so I can remain ELITE!!!) than other people who have walked up less day trip summits.
if... you worship arbitrary rules like the "3000ft rule" and whine about anything that might increase ease of access for the inferior to your beloved check marks, but drive your lifted Jeep up old mine roads to cut down on RT mileage for your hikes.
if... you measure awesomeness/cool factor/life accomplishment/intelligence in 14er summits
if... you think supplemental oxygen is "cheating", but GPS, modern synthetic clothes and climbing protection, crampons, light weight axes, etc. are not.
if... (this one is far more common on the Facebook group) you confuse your good luck streak with superior skill and the bad luck of others with inferior skill (the "it'll never happen to me because I'm more awesome than them" mentality)
if... everything you post includes a humblebrag and/or list of your coolest peaks even when totally irrelevant to the topic
[It is] Hardly a comprehensive list, but you get the idea. The truly elite rarely act so.
It may be far from comprehensive, but I think what you're calling elitism simply illustrates differences of opinion.
You could change the context to any hobby and these behaviors would show up.
Most of what you list above seems to stem from narcissism, not elitism. "Do as I say, not as I do" isn't just for your boss.
Can you please explain how:
LNT flakiness equates to elitism
Slippery slope arguments "are" elitist

The following quote has been attributed to Steve Gladbach, Vince Lombardi, Bear Bryant, and others, but I think taking it seriously solves most of the issues people are bitching about here, including your recent quest against elitism:
Act like you've been there before
It works in the mountains, the end zone, and even on 14ers.com forums. I think the FB group is beyond help.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Matt wrote:
Most of what you list above seems to stem from narcissism, not elitism.
I think you're misfiring on two cylinders here...

#1. You don't seem to realize this is 90% in jest and I'm not on any "quest" (see item: "internet is srs bidniz") - I'm just passing time at work. While there's plenty here that do give off this air of elitism and it is annoying and I'm sure it's also a turn off to new folks, I don't really care. This is the internet and it's NOT serious business. If you want to argue for 10+ pages of weak and illogical arguments against a bolt on an obscure climbing route, I give you all my well wishes, but don't be surprised if I or others come in and poke fun at you.

#2. Used in this context, "elitism" and narcissism are one in the same.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Since you say it is in jest, AyeYo, and the rest of us just think your opinions are lame, maybe you could resist from hijacking otherwise good threads and stop posting your nonsense. That would be greeeeat, thanks.

Make a worthwhile contribution to the forum or just go away, please.
Last edited by Tory Wells on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

Tory Wells wrote:Since you say it is in jest, AyeYo, and the rest of us just think your opinions are lame, maybe you could resist from hijacking otherwise good threads and stop posting your nonsense. That would be greeeeat, thanks.
+infinity. Give it a rest man
Vincit Qui Patitur
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

AyeYo wrote:Only semi-hyped route I've done so far was the Sawtooth traverse, which was a joke. It was not class 3. 99% of it was not exposed
Amusingly, AyeYo made his own elitist comment on page one of this thread, prior to his quest to destroy internet mountain forum elitism.
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Tory Wells wrote:Since you say it is in jest, AyeYo, and the rest of us just think your opinions are lame, maybe you could resist from hijacking otherwise good threads and stop posting your nonsense. That would be greeeeat, thanks.

Make a worthwhile contribution to the forum or just go away, please.
My bad. I'd really hate to be the one to derail that awesome Spire bolt thread and it's 11 pages of highly productive spankings to the OP as he tries to come up with new and increasingly ridiculous reasons everyone should be mad at Tallgrass.
Last edited by AyeYo on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

SoCool wrote:
AyeYo wrote:Only semi-hyped route I've done so far was the Sawtooth traverse, which was a joke. It was not class 3. 99% of it was not exposed
Amusingly, AyeYo made his own elitist comment on page one of this thread, prior to his quest to destroy internet mountain forum elitism.
Which was then nearly unanimously agreed on. So I guess that'd be more of a fact than an elitist opinion.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

AyeYo wrote:
SoCool wrote:

Which was then nearly unanimously agreed on. So I guess that'd be more of a fact than an elitist opinion.
Not true, I just silently seethed at your elitist bs as you dissed my favorite route in all of Colorado.
MikeK
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MikeK »

AyeYo wrote:
oldschool wrote:As this thread has morphed into an "elite mountaineer" diatribe, would someone please define what an elite Colorado mountaineer is and as it pertains to 14ers?

Hardly a comprehensive list, but you get the idea. The truly elite rarely act so.

"Dubious slippery slope arguments..." I see what you did there. Well played. Well played indeed, sir. 8)