Joe Grant's Tour de 14er

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Joe Grant's Tour de 14er

Post by justiner »

I guess maybe we should ask Mrs. Joe Grant, she may be missin' him!

I finally got around to doing some data analysis on Joe's progress, when compared to my trip in 2014. Here's what it looks like -
j_vs_j.jpg
j_vs_j.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
There's an interactive version of this chart at,

http://justinsimoni.com/joe_chart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which will give you additional information, when you mouse over the points. Looks like Joe has opened up a nice gap in the last few, based on my time, thanks muchly to his peak bagging near Winfield. Go Joe! If he can quickly and safely take out Snowmass/Capitol and get back to the Sawatch without being impacted by the weather too much, he should be able to put the afterburners on for the Front Range.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Justin - do you have an est. when he'll finish?
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I think in 30 - 32 days if he keeps this pattern up. Hard to figure out a precise time, as the distances to all these peaks vary, as are the difficulty. He's around 8-ish peaks ahead of me @ day #24-ish, which is quite a bit! He has done some of he Sawatch at this same timeframe, as I had only finished up the Elks, which factors in somewhat.
Kevin2016
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kevin2016 »

I met Joe on Friday 8/19 near the top of Pyramid at about 11:00 a.m. and he had already done the Bells, absolutely amazing the stamina he has. Keep it up Joe, it is pretty inspiring what you are doing and the pace at which you are doing it!
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Justin, you changed your picture. What's up with that? You previously posted where Joe plans to finish - can you repeat that? I'm hoping to keep a tradition of meeting record holders at the finish line (sometimes with beer).

By the way, your support for Joe's quest to beat your record is as inspiring as the record you set; it's an excellent example of a true champion.

Thanks,
Glen
Aim high to end high
the toninator
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by the toninator »

still watching, thanks the commentary justiner
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Ah! Avatar change: I've been having a pretty frustrating year, out with an ankle injury that's kept me way from the mountains more than I'd like. It's one of the reasons I'm not doing the Centennials project right now (but not the only reason). But it sure gives me time to watch all the other amazing people doing their projects, like Rob and Joe. another pretty incredible feat that just went down was Stefan and Tony's unsupported Longs Peak Triathlon, riding bikes to the TH and climbing the Diamond, almost doing so in a sub 9 hour pace - which is madness!

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/unsup ... thlon-fkt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The photo from my avatar is actually taken by Stefan, and is after I got back to the TH of Longs Peak, after my own tour of the 14ers. Stefan and Peter met up with me around treeline on Longs as I was coming down, just to see the spectacle I guess, of a very grungy human attempt to run down a trail (and figure out the shortcuts!) after so many miles in their legs. I was leading the way, obviously, and got us lost a few times. Stefan's Diamond trip reminded me of that super happy day of being almost done with my own project, and being successful - what a relief!

A few days after Stefan did the Longs Peak Tri with Tony, he went up again, and freesolo'd the Casual Route, with a bike approach. Crazy!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJZPpoDjDQ5 ... NN5Crcp40/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've only heard of one other person do that - Roger Briggs, who has over 100 total ascents of the Diamond to his name, and many route first ascents.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP19/mount ... gs-diamond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happily, my ankle is on the mend, and even though I had some pretty bad acclmitization problems with being away from the mountains for so long - and a touch of asthma, I finally summited Longs again yesterday too, by the much more pedestrian Cables route. Just happy that my ankle is finally getting functional again! Look out!

Anyways, Glen, I believe Joe started from his house in Gold Hill, so that's where he'll finish up. I was considering meeting him on the summit of Longs, if work doesn't get in the way! Should make a good photo.
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Joe got Massive & Sherman today. I suppose LDB on Tue, G&T on Wed & finish on Thu? Justin, I'd go up with you to meet him on Longs. Not gonna bike though - would never keep up with you guys! ?
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Yup, Thur, Fri or Sat are days I have free. Planning to be on Longs Thur, anyways! :)
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

Doesn't he still need to get Holy Cross and the rest of the ten mile range before G&T?

Justin- how would you do the link between HC and the rest of the Ten mile range? Or how did you?

Looks like a couple of options...but I'm not sure what the most efficient way between Holy Cross and the Ten Mile Range would be....Colorado trail? I-70? Leadville?
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Stevo wrote: Justin- how would you do the link between HC and the rest of the Ten mile range? Or how did you?
I did the Sawatch N -> S basically, so once done, I rode through Southpark via BV and hit up Democat/etc, and Quandary via the Highway. My original idea was to go into Salida (because Salida is awesome), and take the GDMBR up over the hills N. of Salida. But, that was also right before another bear ate all my food near the Princeton Hot Springs, so I just didn't want to go to Salida from Shav. TH, and instead I booked it to Buena Vista on fumes. I stopped at the grocery store and ate an entire cheescake - and a coke. Then, went to a diner for breakfast :)

From Mt HC, the most adventurous way could be by taking the Colorado Trail from Camp Hale, which will put you around Copper. You could also ascend Democrat from around Freemont Pass, do the peaks, then descend with your bike into Alma. But Freemont Pass down to Frisco would be the most straightforward idea.

One other idea would be to take Mosquito Pass. Lots of ideas :)
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Oops, yes, forgot about HC (hopefully Joe did not).