Old Man---new life

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
paul109876
14ers:summits8 
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Old Man---new life

Post by paul109876 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:37 am

Congrads on the weight loss. I've struggled all my life, with weight up and down. It takes a special mental fortitude to make that habit change.
I look forward to seeing your trip report!!!
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
KSU Wildcat
14ers:summits2 

Post by KSU Wildcat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:17 pm

I wish you the best tomorrow, Craig!
Climb on!
Shaolin
14ers:summits6 

Post by Shaolin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 am

Way to go Craig! Keep it up.
LuLuLuv
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits18 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:59 am

If I didn't have to work I'd totally be there with you!!
MountainHiker
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits104 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:32 pm

How did it go? And remember, the summit isn't the top of the mountain. It's getting back out there!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
XPLSV
14ers:summits27 
13ers:summits2 

Post by XPLSV » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:01 pm

MountainHiker wrote:How did it go? And remember, the summit isn't the top of the mountain. It's getting back out there!
Exactly right!
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...
giarcd
14ers:summits22 
13ers:summits8 
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:36 am

Tuesdays hike on Shavano is the first of the season. One of he principle reasons to begin ascents is to find out what nutritional needs will my body demand and to adjust my intake to fulfill that demand. I hiked for a total of thirteen hours and wore myself out. Adjustments WILL be needed,however my first time use of electrolight replacement made me feel like I am headed in the correct direction. Used 30 ozs. of electrolights and another 60 ozs of water. The 100 lbs loss of weight was evident during the first 3+ hours (should have eaten more after that). I learned and will improve as I continue to climb. Thank you all for your continued support as I enter my NEW LIFE 8)

Craig
wildlobo71
14ers:summits58 winter5 
13ers:summits85 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:38 am

I just saw this Craig, good luck to you,sir! Another person I'll be trying to keep up with now enters the fray. (That's prognostication).
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
njbrain
14ers:summits11 

Post by njbrain » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:57 pm

giarcd wrote:Eating habits , weight loss and conditioning going very well. 80 lbs. down with a bit to go ! Bought a dehydryator to assist with dietary needs for a few days in the mountains (any suggestions accepted ) . Already doing Jerky and bananas, have corer/ peeler ordered for apples. Planning an aggressive climbing season (for an older participant) 12 to 15 peaks in Colorado and the high point of Montana------gain the summit ya'll

Craig
Congratulations on the weight loss. I dropped from 215 to 180 and the energy gained is incredible. By the way, Granite Peak in Montana is an absolutely incredible and fun climb.
TallGrass
14ers: List not added
13ers:summits26 

Post by TallGrass » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:21 pm

giarcd wrote:One of he principle reasons to begin ascents is to find out what nutritional needs will my body demand and to adjust my intake to fulfill that demand. I hiked for a total of thirteen hours and wore myself out. Adjustments WILL be needed...
First, congrats on a fitter you! =D>

Second, most of us can drain our gas tank in 13hr day, then hit a diner to go from Empty to Full in one sitting. If I follow, that's no longer an option for you, so I'll be interested to hear how you both avoid bonking as well as replenish at the end of the day. I can think of a couple ways, but they'd could defeat the purpose of the gastric band surgery. Does your Doc have insight from addressing this with prior athletic patients?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
giarcd
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:33 am

the surgery I had is called "gastric sleeve' which removes most of the stomach and requires close attention to dietary consumption. (alittle food at a sitting). 80 grams of protein plus 64 oz water at minimum has to be worked in to diet everyday. I've been researching vitiman supplements! Take powerful multi each morning plus 3 calcium citrate with/D during day combined with electrolight replacements when on mountain. I must learn how much food etc. to consume to maintain energy for ascent/decent of mountain. Finding the balance will be interesting----test , test , test !!
giarcd
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 am

Now under 200 lbs and ready for peaks with nutritional reqs. in control . Plan Capitol Peak Sept 4th and 5th. Granite Peak, Montana Sept 19th thru 22nd,Mt Whitney (with permit)in Oct. and Nevada high point on way home from California. We'll see how well my weight loss and conditioning program works ! :-SS