Let's see your artwork!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Let's see your artwork!

Post by climbnowworklater »

With a background in finance and very little experience with creativity and art, I tried my hand at glass mosaics recently. To preface, MtnHub had posted a picture titled "Havasu Falls, Grand Canyon" on page 1 when this thread was started. I loved it as it touched me for personal and historic reasons. Anyways, here is my variation.
Attachments
My "Havasu Falls"
My "Havasu Falls"
IMG_0097 (640x480).jpg (167.72 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

My grandpa passed away in 1995, when I was 16. Aside from his military career and raising of family, he was an artist and woodworker in his free time. I have many items he's made me; clocks, frames for pictures my grandmother painted, various toys, etc.

12 years after he passed away, in 2007, I spent roughly 2 months in Zermatt, Switzerland. During this time, I fell in love with the majestic Matterhorn. The subsequent year, I was at my still-living grandmother's house and noticed this picture in her bedroom. There was no note of it being the Matterhorn, and it was created in the 60s or 70s, but it's strikingly obvious that this is the Matterhorn. I don't know the exact details of how he made this, but it is essentially small pieces of different types of wood glued together to make a picture. I now have it framed in my home. Attaching a real pic of the Matterhorn for comparison's sake.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, obviously, that my grandmother left me this piece of art when she passed. I had expressed that I loved it due to my time there, and when we were sadly emptying her house when she passed away, there was a piece of tape on the back of it with my name on it.
IMG_20161023_082554693.jpg
IMG_20161023_082554693.jpg (109.35 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
Matterhorn_from_Domhütte_-_2.jpg
Matterhorn_from_Domhütte_-_2.jpg (139.24 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Last edited by fleetmack on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Excellent c-n-w-l! That's a very interesting interpretation of my Havasu Falls. I hope your experience working with glass has inspired you to do some more mosaics!

And fleetmack, there's no doubt at all that is the Matterhorn your grandfather reproduced in wood. What a special heirloom from your grandfather especially since you also spent time there! And again, what an interesting medium! That's very much like what I do with fabric, piecing remnants together to create a landscape. Thanks to both of you for sharing! :-D
Last edited by MtnHub on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fleetmack
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

MtnHub wrote:
And fleetmack, there's no doubt at all that is the Matterhorn your grandfather reproduced in wood. What a special heirloom from your grandfather especially since you also spent time there! And again, what an interesting media! That's very much like what I do with fabric, piecing remnants together to create a landscape. Thanks to both of you for sharing! :-D
Thanks! Just noticed you are in Iowa -- this piece was created in New Hampton (I am from Carroll)
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

fleetmack wrote:
Thanks! Just noticed you are in Iowa -- this piece was created in New Hampton (I am from Carroll)
It sounds like he created this piece before you went to Zermatt when he lived in IA, so am curious if he had a love for the mountains on his own or was he a hiker or climber himself? Do you know what his connection to Matterhorn was? Seems unlikely that he would make the effort to create something like that simply on a whim.
Last edited by MtnHub on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patternmike
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by patternmike »

Fleetmack, your grandfathers work is amazing. As a woodworker and a climber I am typically drawn to art in the wood medium and also mountain art. Your grandfather brought the two of the together beautifully.
fleetmack
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Thank you all! My grandfather passed away 12 years before I was in Zermatt, he created that piece of art likely in the 1960s. To the best of my knowledge, with the exception of WWII (Tunisia & Italy, and perhaps boot camp somewhere else in the US), he was never outside of the state of Iowa in his 85 years of life, so I have no idea what his inspiration behind this was. I wish I could ask him! :(
--Corey Taylor
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Just finished this recently -- another commemorative piece, as I climbed Mt. Sopris this past summer.
Attachments
21 Mt Sopris.jpg
21 Mt Sopris.jpg (209.59 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Looks good, Mr. Hub!

Here's some personal artwork....

twelvers.jpg
twelvers.jpg (189.31 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
fleetmack
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

My grandpa made a few of these (like the Matterhorn above). I took a picture of this one at my parents' house a few months ago, I have no idea if it is just a made up mountain, or if it's modeled after something. Does anybody know if this is a real place?
IMG_20161226_195801908.jpg
IMG_20161226_195801908.jpg (146.66 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
--Corey Taylor
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

My daughter and her Valentine day box. I made it out of styrofoam.
Attachments
V-Day box.jpg
V-Day box.jpg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks, Dave! Although somehow that doesn't look like the flexor muscles of YOUR forearm, but I like the change!

Fleet -- that's an amazing wood mosaic! Wonderful use of the grain! Don't know if that is a 'real' scene or not, but it certainly looks like it could be somewhere in the European Alps. Thanks for sharing that!

And Michael, that's a super Valentines' box! My oldest nephew would certainly have loved that when he was a kid! He is now training to be a jet pilot in the Navy but has always been a Star Wars freak. He even has a 4 ft model doll of a Storm Trooper that he claims he will take up in the jet with him sometime and use it as a co-pilot in his jet. Ha!

Thanks everyone for sharing your creative works! Love it! :-D