Let's see your artwork!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Let's see your artwork!

Post by MtnHub »

There are several great threads displaying photography which I really enjoy. I am just a point and shoot kind of person, but I do love seeing all the excellent images people come up with.

I also enjoy visiting art museums and viewing works by the great masters. One of my dreams is to climb once again in the Alps but also to spend ample time touring the great art museums throughout Europe.

I’m strictly an amateur, having taken only one drawing class as an elective when I was in college, but my appreciation for good art has never diminished over the years. So I am just curious to see if there are artists within our climbing community who work in other media besides photography.

I am now sharing a few pieces I’ve done that may be of interest to some of you, and I would like to invite anyone else to share their work as well, mountain related or not, amateur or professional, in any other media besides photography – drawing, painting, sculpture, etc.

My mother was a quilter in her prime but had to quit when her arthritis got too bad, so I inherited all her fabric stashes. I work creating mini-quilt-like pieces from fabric.

This is an invitation to share and appreciate only. As per the terms of Bill’s website, this is not to be used for solicitations. Thank you!

Let’s see your artwork! :-D
Attachments
Uncompahgre Peak at Dusk
Uncompahgre Peak at Dusk
17 Uncompahgre Pk at Dusk.JPG (299.63 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Alpenglow on Capitol Peak
Alpenglow on Capitol Peak
15 Alpenglow on Capitol Peak.JPG (151.44 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Longs Peak 1
Longs Peak 1
6 Longs Peak 1.jpg (190.12 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Alicat423
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Let's see your artwork!

Post by Alicat423 »

Woah!!!! What a cool medium!

I am following this thread....

Will try to post anything I have when I get home....Love to see other peoples interpretations!
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Of course I'm partial to the Longs Peak one, but I do have a photo of Capitol at sunset that has a pink hue much like your artwork but a little lighter. Very nice Doug! I'll try to post some of my wife's paintings, since all I do is photography. Nice thread idea!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
skinner
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skinner »

First off, as stated above, great thread idea!!

I love the quilting and patterns used.

This isn't my artwork but I follow Renan Ozturk on Instagram and he posted some artwork he did while at Mount Meru. Its one of my favorite pieces and your style reminded me of it.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Great work MtnHub! I especially like the uncompahgre one.

Renan's art is awesome. Just received my print of this one. Looking forward to getting it hung up!
skinner wrote:First off, as stated above, great thread idea!!

I love the quilting and patterns used.

This isn't my artwork but I follow Renan Ozturk on Instagram and he posted some artwork he did while at Mount Meru. Its one of my favorite pieces and your style reminded me of it.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Very cool stuff! Yes, Renan's mixed media image has similarities to some of my things.

After checking his site out he quotes about this painting, It's not a perspective you could get from stitching together photos from any one place but the mountain features are accurate to this amazing location. I only paint when I can really be there - in the elements and the mountains, where the final piece created is connected to the memories of the adventure had with friends.

Many of the things I do are essentially commemorations of places I've been, or things I've seen. Here's a couple more pieces I did a few years ago:
Attachments
4 Jackson Hole Barn.jpg
4 Jackson Hole Barn.jpg (166.21 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
9 Havasu Falls, Grand Canyon.JPG
9 Havasu Falls, Grand Canyon.JPG (203.29 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

Love this thread idea! I do photography, but I love to see works in other media as well. Really cool stuff MtnHub!
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

I do digital reworks of my photos in my superNaturals series. Most are from other landscapes around the country, but here are a few from the Colorado mountains. Hope you like 'em.

Banner Trees and Longs Peak from the Flattop Trail:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/viewuploa ... =0&sortt=8

Aspens Above Ouray:

Sunset: Dunes And Sangres:
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Bill Cummings wrote:I do digital reworks of my photos in my superNaturals series. Most are from other landscapes around the country, but here are a few from the Colorado mountains. Hope you like 'em.
Your links don't work as they're tied to your login. Fixed that for you below (click title for full photo). :wink:

Banner Trees and Longs Peak from the Flattop Trail

Aspens Above Ouray

Sunset: Dunes And Sangres
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Some chalkboard artwork created by store employee Danaë Bernunzio in the Fairbanks, Alaska REI store to help celebrate the National Park Service's Centennial celebration in 2016.
Attachments
AKParkBoard-329k.jpg
AKParkBoard-329k.jpg (321.69 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
FindParkURL-1024x768.jpg
FindParkURL-1024x768.jpg (322.02 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Really creative quilting idea. The finished products look great! That's a great deal of time, effort and patience you've put into those MntHub. Thanks for sharing!

I recently started creating a series of paintings of classic views of some of the 14ers.

Sneffels:

This original of Pikes actually just sold last month:

Are there any other painters out there? There is no shortage of photography, but I've not seen many artworks featuring the 14ers.
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

Your links don't work as they're tied to your login. Fixed that for you below (click title for full photo).
Thank you! I could not get the images to load directly onto the page and was not aware that the links were restricted.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang