What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits87 winter6 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by susanjoypaul » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:26 pm

MtnHub wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:20 pm
When you mentioned, Endurance, I had just recently finished the book by the same title, but by astronaut Scott Kelly about his year in space. That is an excellent book too!
Ah, thanks for the recommendation. I love reading about space exploration and am a big fan of Scott and his brother, Mark, too. Will have to download a copy tonight. It's funny, I tend to audible books these days or read the digital versions on my tablet, but right after I finish them I turn around and buy paperback copies of the really good ones anyway. Reading a "real book" is just a different experience. Plus I think I just like seeing them on the bookshelf.
Uncle beanhead
14ers:summits13 winter1 
13ers:summits5 

Re: What are you reading? Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides

Post by Uncle beanhead » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:31 pm

I just started Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides. It’s about Kit Carson and “ The conquest of the American West”. Good non fiction with a lot of local history and names you will recognize from surrounding peaks and such.
Ignats
14ers: List not added

Post by Ignats » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:44 pm

Sapiens (Yuval Harari). Good read especially when you get over hating yourself. Prior: William Forstchen post-apocalyptic series, Graham Handcock, Stichen, Vince Flynn, Tony Hillerman and of course, Ayn Rand.
AnnaG22
14ers:summits58 ski7 winter20 
13ers:summits112 ski3 winter11 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm

About to finish Natural Capitalism by Paul Hawkens and Amory and Hunter Lovins.
Been working my way through Harry Potter und der Halbblutprinz, once I finish that I'll only have one left of the series auf Deutsch, at which point I'll have to figure out what else I can read to work on my German comprehension.
1776 and Just Mercy are next on the non-fiction list.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:19 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:31 am
SurfNTurf wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 am
especially his earlier collection of essays, Eiger Dreams.
That was a great read. Vintage stuff. The story of the Devil's Thumb was a favorite.

I've read a lot of Craig Child's work and find it compelling. The current one I'm rereading is The Secret Knowledge of Water, about the American southwestern desert. Good stuff.

His Animal Dialogues is great as well.
More ++++ on both Krakauer and Craig Childs. The Secret Knowledge of Water is one of my favorite things that I've read over the past couple years. Utterly captivating, the book absolutely transported me to each scene he was recollecting.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
stephakett
14ers:summits28 
13ers:summits34 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by stephakett » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:02 am

AnnaG22 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm
a quick search- that looks INCREDIBLE. how did you like it?
“My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” (Aldous Huxley)
highpilgrim
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am

AnnaG22 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:19 pm
The Secret Knowledge of Water is one of my favorite things that I've read over the past couple years. Utterly captivating, the book absolutely transported me to each scene he was recollecting.
He is great at generating atmospheric feelings for his subject matter. And fear when he wants. You should read the Animal Dialogues when he is describing encountering big predators in very dense jungle. :shock:

Think about trying this as well:

Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession
Book by Craig Childs
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
nmjameswilson
14ers:summits37 
13ers:summits7 

Post by nmjameswilson » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 am

Liver Rescue 3-6-9
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:01 am

stephakett wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:02 am
AnnaG22 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm
a quick search- that looks INCREDIBLE. how did you like it?
I enjoyed it! Was partially reading it for work, to be honest, but it did get me fired up. It is (horrifyingly) pertinent to the current climate/market situation despite having been published 21 years ago. For someone like me who never took an econ class in high school or college, it framed things in an approachable manner and offered solid, real-world examples for the recommendations the authors pose to society.

AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:02 am

highpilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am
AnnaG22 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:19 pm
The Secret Knowledge of Water is one of my favorite things that I've read over the past couple years. Utterly captivating, the book absolutely transported me to each scene he was recollecting.
He is great at generating atmospheric feelings for his subject matter. And fear when he wants. You should read the Animal Dialogues when he is describing encountering big predators in very dense jungle. :shock:

Think about trying this as well:

Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession
Book by Craig Childs
Animal Dialogues was actually the first Childs book I read!! I will read anything by that man, I adore his style.

Not as recent, but in the spring I read One Summer by Bill Bryson, which is a fascinating dive into late-1920s America, from political to technological to pop cultural. Would highly recommend as well.

douglas
14ers:summits46 
13ers:summits1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:11 pm

[/quote]
Not as recent, but in the spring I read One Summer by Bill Bryson, which is a fascinating dive into late-1920s America, from political to technological to pop cultural. Would highly recommend as well.
[/quote]

Every book by Bill Bryson is fantastic - I recommend them all!
scalba123
14ers:summits9 
13ers:summits2 

Post by scalba123 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:32 pm

I recently finished Know My Name which I thought was a powerful book.

Also Journey's North: The Pacific Crest Trail and Woodswoman.