What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58
13ers: 134
Trip Reports (4)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by 12ersRule » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:57 am

3 books I've read recently.

1) "The Mountain - My Time on Everest" - Ed Viesters/Dave Roberts. Some of the stories about the first ascents up certain faces on Everest were interesting, but this is probably the last book I'll ever read again on Everest.

2) "The Storm on our Shores" - our very own Oman. Enjoyed this one. It's right up there with "The Big Year" as my favorite by him. Some of the details on the battle on Attu bogged me down a little, but overall, this is a stellar work. Highly recommend it for anyone interested in Pacific part of WW2.

3) "Is This Anything" - Seinfeld. It's mostly his routines in written form. Only a few made me laugh out loud, but worthwhile overall. Definitely can see some common threads in his bits.
Squirrellysquirrel
14ers: List not added

Post by Squirrellysquirrel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:04 am

“Snow caves for fun and survival “ by Ernest Wilkinson... copyright 1986... still a classic, straightforward read. Snow isn’t that stable yet, but great basic manual for snow cave making 8)

Included pictures of some diagrams here....(edit: removed images, copyrights.)
Last edited by Squirrellysquirrel on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
speth
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by speth » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:27 pm

My recommendations for the SAR-inclined 14ers.com users out there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm reminded of Kris' signature from time to time:
  • Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
  • Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (255.56 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58 7 20
13ers: 112 3 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm only a few chapters into Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, but I would highly recommend it to anyone. It is captivating and offers so much insight.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Plugugly
14ers: List not added

Post by Plugugly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:38 pm

Dark Summit by Nick Hell--very well-written detail of Everest's 2006 deadly season ( I think its comparable to Krakauer's).
Rudy can't fail.
druid2112
14ers: 46 6
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:33 am

JChitwood wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:53 pm
Can’t recommend “The Emerald Mile” enough. Perhaps the only book I’ve ever read that upon finishing the last page I turned back to page 1 and read the entire thing again. About a year later I read it a third time. Fantastic.
Just finished this and it's all that. Great read, great research, and fantastic writing. Damn good book.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
greenonion
14ers: 33 1
13ers: 1

Post by greenonion » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:07 pm

Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon

What an incredible drummer. What an incredible crazy person. Only about 50 pages in of a very long book.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57 2
13ers: 25 2

Post by My-Therapy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Beyond The Hundredth Meridian

I love learning about John Wesley Powell and his exploration of the West.
JTOlson26
14ers: 17
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Dandelion Growing Wild

A triumphant journey over astounding odds to become an American marathon champion

by Kim Jones

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Even as an extreme running nerd, her story was mostly unknown to me. The heartache and trials she went through from a young age are absolutely mind boggling. This is so much more than a running book. Highly recommended.
pmreyn2010
14ers: 41 3
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by pmreyn2010 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:10 pm

I just read "The Answer Is..." by Alex Trebek over the past couple of days. It's a quick, easy read, with a bunch of short, interesting stories from both Trebek's life, and of course his time on Jeopardy. If you're a fan of Jeopardy! or of Trebek's, I can't recommend this book enough.
osprey
14ers: 49 14
13ers: 101 19
Trip Reports (10)

Post by osprey » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:32 am

JTOlson26 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm
Dandelion Growing Wild

A triumphant journey over astounding odds to become an American marathon champion

by Kim Jones

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Even as an extreme running nerd, her story was mostly unknown to me. The heartache and trials she went through from a young age are absolutely mind boggling. This is so much more than a running book. Highly recommended.
Kim Jones was my running coach from about 2004 to 2014. She sent an autographed copy of her book to me after it was first published for me to review.
She, unlike many athletes who write their stories with the aid of a ghost writer, wrote the book herself.
The account of the death and aftermath of her eldest daughter is heart wrenching and will leave you in tears.
It is indeed a good read from one of the foremost American women marathoners.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl
markf
14ers: 48 2 8
13ers: 13 1 3

Post by markf » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:19 am

"The Last Traverse", an account of a winter ridge traverse in the White Mountains in New Hampshire that went horribly wrong. Not the best literature, but worthwhile reading for anyone who wants to wander around in the mountains in winter time.
mark