The New Spot Per Month Challenge! [2017-2022]

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Re: The New Spot Per Month Challenge! [2017-2022]

Post by jibler »

oh also - follow up

I had been masterminding a plan to max the 'newness' factor by taking democrat from the south - just somehow busting up that ridge above lake - photos from traverse from buckskin here have shown me a little hope it could be not insane.

but but - that row of teeth up there looked intimidating enough - especially to my partner. It was his first 14er! as it was for like 5 other poeple that day.

full disclosure - he said at times on the way up he was getting "vertigo" - which i found unable to answer for.

pulled through but it was to me a bit freaky as that's an issue i don't know how to get at?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Also - this point in the journey allows me to remind everyone of a previous 'new spot' that is totally awesome and worth checking out.

Point 13,400!! The June 2018 contestant. That's it there gleaming in the light from this week - from saddle between Democrat and Cameron

I thought it was so cool i made a Trip Report out of it.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... size=large
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

september clocking in strong

hit up Pacific Peak - that north side is one of the peakiest approaches i ever seen

and fantastic air / views - total depth of field

which i had hoped to utilize on something a little more ambitious - but with a slightly more limited time allotment- this was a pefect mission to top the summer it turns out

went up via mayflower hill and then busted over across scree -returned via the ridge in foreground lower.

Funny thing is that i have been busting up mayflower hill for like 20 years - and only did atlantic 2 years ago (and joking failed late november run up a snowy drift too)

I just think of this area as more of a park than a specific mtn. Yet obviously there's something going on up higher. Pacific way cooler than atlantic in end.

can't beat that top

winter is coming

and was a very cool day - like having AC on your hike - so i was able to bust out my cupping nice headphones and was jamming hard at the top

side note - I could see the four previous new spots from this spot. this year has turned into a summit county classic wrap up it would seem.

jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

here's a special bonus pic just for the 14ers too

jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

there's a lot of tension in the air

because the main goal of this year has been to overthrow 2020 as the top group of the challenge.

the combo of Hagar>Missouri (my 1st 14ers in 6 years)>thunder butte from special eastern route has kept the 2020 group ahead of the pack for a while now.

yes I added an extra two months to 2022 - but I haven't quite gotten after it as much as I'd like down the stretch here. need something very special in october to make the mark.

and yet - I feel if I just go back to the sawatch like in 2020 I'll just be trying to replicate the missouri experience.

and special can be just that - something cool not necessarily tall. points are awarded for fresh viewsheds.

something like castle peak outside eagle could work.....

jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

ok already getting pumped about october.

I cannot justify driving all the way to eagle for dayhike. then was thinking about mt evans or pettingel - but neither sounds super sexy.

now locking in on what has long eluded me as the 'last peak near montezuma' - whale peak!

from a possibly cool different approach no less.

also - expect some double-ups down the stretch here too. Going out with all options exhausted hopefully.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

OK the whale peak mission is on hold for now - and got a new october one in the sights

but first - a little backstory - the may chapter from this year was doing Ute Peak from the south. But it did burn me a little that i had done it from the north.

so to keep the accounting safe - i also registered my trip to Apex Park in golden as a fully new spot to be safe. Even wrote the word 'Apex' on the big list.

BUT - the funny thing that I'm seeing now is that - looking hard at Mount Evans from the Guenella pass side as the next mission - and I now see that from the top of mt evans I could see every single one of this year's new spots from the top!!

which would not include Ute peak - out of sight - but does include Apex.

So now it seems like Evans is meant to be. and putting two 14ers on the books for this year should help challenge 2020 for supremacy.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

well i had to take a little downgrade from the Mt Evans mission - due to some illness on my part that is dragging me down it would seem

ended up just hitting Pettingel Peak instead - which like pacific peak was funny because i have been busting around the herman's gulch area many many times - so was a bit of a homecoming.

but man - i was really dragging. the whole thing was nearly a huge mistake.

but some key phish jams - and seeing a short cut route down on a rock surf path - was the key to the win!

came up the standard above - but surfed down the gully to the left on way down.

clear day too - just perfect

and of course Evans is right over there mocking me the whole friggin time looking epic

and recall that i did Bard and tried similar "short cut" that didn't pan out well.

this was was actually great. surfin' USA.

that's six spots above treeline in a row here - a best for the challenge all around. not sure if getting up in november or dec. but keeping an eye out.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

picked up an extra 'buzzer beater' bonus spot last weekend!

you know highlands ranch and ken caryl ranch and others have their little private public lands - which I have always been opposed to.

and i may or may not have found a way onto something like that. Let's just say I now call it "Piedmont Point" in honor of my new understanding of the front range geology.

and i also kicked New Phish Jams - per the requirement of this year's challenge.

A little extra juice in the books goes a long way. Unfortunately - i may need it - as from what i can tell getting back above treeline this year may be complicated at best.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

ok help me out 14ers!

november and december are traditionally months that don't have to be big peaks - in fact i never have been on mtn top later than october (but was most of the way up drift pk in 2019 but just let it go)

but now I have two random spots in summit county - that might just work for an 'offseason' thing?

namely:

Swan Mountain - the summitpost page is inconclusive. Does it have actual views at top? - if it does it may work? if it don't - eh maybe not.

Green Mountain - as in the one near the green mtn reservoir. This looks very promising. is this all public land? nice little nub of land with a cool sleek ridge along the top - and a prominent top top too.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

yes also - can anyone just hike up Junction Butte near Kremmling?

also - someone needs to ask - what the F is going on on San Toy Mountain??

Namely that giant medicine wheel up there. who built it - and why?
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Swan Mountain - I think the summit is in the trees, but I recall places here and there where you can see stuff. If you haven't been, I'd opt for Gold Hill and Ophir mountains first. Just 10ers, but fabulous views.

Green Mountain - the trailhead is public, but the summit is private. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39.8806 ... =mbh&a=sma. I don't think there's any developed property out there in the private land though

Junction Butte is all public, blm land surrounding local public land, https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=40.0283 ... =mbh&a=sma

San Toy Mountain, read a report on Lists of John that said the road was private but the owner, at least once, gave permission. The summit looks like it's BLM land.