9News promoting LNT on Uncompahgre

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mickknu16
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 9News promoting LNT on Uncompahgre

Post by mickknu16 »

Many might remember seeing the sign "endangered species research area please stay on trail" in the upper part of the basin of Uncompahgre. So did they cross through a federally endangered species research area to retrieve the ball? It had to be kicked off the East side of the summit to retrieve on the way down?? No way they went back on a separate trip to retrieve on a different side of the mountain. Literally 0% chance.
"Your mind is the mountain before you, you've reached the summit now transcend the skies."
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Wentzl wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:56 pm Not a chance they retrieved that ball. Zero, zip, nada.
⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Trotter
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Somome should watch the story. Maybe there is a video of them retreiving it? Its not impossible
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
scvaughn
14ers: 43 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scvaughn »

SMH. There's nothing good, wholesome, or redeeming about this stunt, even if they did retrieve the ball that was kicked from the summit, and I don't believe that they did.
Trotter
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

They retrieved it in the video. More proof that we all need to maybe not jump to conclusions based off one internet picture?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Trotter wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:44 pm
They retrieved it in the video. More proof that we all need to maybe not jump to conclusions based off one internet picture?
That is the video from last year, which someone pointed out seemed to be carried out more responsibly than this year
Trotter
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

JaredJohnson wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 pm
That is the video from last year, which someone pointed out seemed to be carried out more responsibly than this year
Oops. Well I still hope they post this years video
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Last year Handies Peak, where the ball was in sight all the while till some kid picked it up. This year, Uncompahgre, with a 1200' cliff that leads to places NO one reading this has ever been. yes, that is a challenge, anyone? Anyone ever been where that ball landed? come on

But let me be clear, I did not jump to a conclusion off "one internet picture", but rather from years of experience and familiarity with the area where this stunt was staged. I know that the cliff off the NE side of Uncompahgre is very much inaccessible from the summit and that a ball kicked into that void is more likely than not gone forever. Again, I don't really care about the LNT ethic, seems pretty harmless to me. I was more offended by the golf disc, obviously thrown from the summit, that I took out from Blaine Basin last year (plastic vs pigskin thing).
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:08 pm
Last year Handies Peak, where the ball was in sight all the while till some kid picked it up. This year, Uncompahgre, with a 1200' cliff that leads to places NO one reading this has ever been. yes, that is a challenge, anyone? Anyone ever been where that ball landed? come on
+1
It would be quite the task to retrieve that football. I don't think those involved in kicking it over the cliff have a clue to the difficulty involved. It is in the realm of possibility that they could have picked it up, but the probability of hiking into that area and finding the ball is very close to nil, IMO.

Footballs are typically made of cowhide or a pebble-grained leather cover with a rubber bladder inside. Footballs purchased for recreational purposes outside of organized school sports are often made out of rubber or synthetic leather. I do not like to leave items made of rubber or processed leather in a natural environment. I get that some might see it as just one football, golf ball, or whatever else someone wants to toss off a mountain top. However, watching one group do it on media encourages others to do the same. There is no telling how many people have thrown things off of 14ers that we aren't aware of. I like leaving the natural environments as is. In just my lifetime, there are many areas that were once secluded and untouched that are no longer that way. It is difficult to find an area not tainted by humankind.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

wow. that's NOT being fantastic.

"teach your children well"
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

This would be one of the chief reasons I prefer 12ers & 13ers over 14ers.
Best Regards