Unprepared hikers

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Unprepared hikers

Post by nyker »

justiner wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:59 am
nyker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:44 am I imagine you would start seeing those headlines more if people realized a lot of the recent announcements of $billions in student loan forgiveness likely went to those people with those sort of majors...amounts that you and I pay for in higher taxes.
Well did they?
Assume it will impact many career paths/majors. Anecdotally hearing from my bank where I'm a customer, they've said it's still income based and for example kids graduating with professional degrees (Business, Medicine, Law, etc) likely are above the eligible income threshold as would be other folks tenured enough to exceed the income limit but still have material loan amounts outstanding, assuming they have been employed. They will also be limited to Federal loans, not private loans since that would get messy and cause a domino effect throughout the economy and derail any midterm election hopes the enactors have.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

nyker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:44 am
dan0rama wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:33 am Interesting how it is still socially acceptable to publicly humiliate people who get into trouble in the backcountry. I never see headlines like "little shits from Seattle who thought majoring in theater for $100k was a good idea become baristas at Starbucks" or...
I imagine you would start seeing those headlines more if people realized a lot of the recent announcements of $billions in student loan forgiveness likely went to those people with those sort of majors...amounts that you and I pay for in higher taxes.
I apologize for continuing down this tangent from the point of the original post. The billions in student loan forgiveness aren't going to people like you speak of above. Most of the money is split into these large categories:
- 7.3 billion for public servants (teachers, firefighters, nurses, military, etc.)
- 5.8 billion for borrowers with disabilities
- 7.55 billion for borrowers who were defrauded by for profit colleges
(https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/l ... s-it-work/)

That is 20.65 billion. The article does not explain if the other 4.35 billion is for administration of the program or what. Also, 25 billion is approximately 1.5 percent of the $1.6 trillion in student debt so this money is only going to select individuals.

To put this amount in perspective, our defense department is the only government entity that has not passed an accounting audit and our defense spending dwarfs these amounts. (See this link: https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/99796164 ... hange-that). Our 2022 defense budget is 778 billion for defense and that does not include 234 billion for veteran's benefits (2021 figure), so we are looking at over 1 trillion dollars a year here. Per the article, all federal agencies have been under the same requirement to undergo an independent financial audit since the early 1990s but the Pentagon didn't even attempt one until 2017. One might say the massive size of this department makes an audit difficult, but the Department of Health and Human Services, which is also very large, has now undergone a clean audit for 22 years in a row.

Obviously, defense is a necessary expense but the amount of waste here is extreme and there is little doubt, based on the quoted article and others, that it far exceeds 25 billion.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Ed_Groves wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:29 am
dan0rama wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:33 am blah,blah,blah
blah,blah,blah
I apologize for continuing down this tangent from the point of the original post. More blah, blah, blah,,,,
What does any of this have to do with the OP or anything to do with the mountains? :-$
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Ed_Groves wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:29 am
dan0rama wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:33 am Interesting how it is still socially acceptable to publicly humiliate people who get into trouble in the backcountry. I never see headlines like "little shits from Seattle who thought majoring in theater for $100k was a good idea become baristas at Starbucks" or...
I imagine you would start seeing those headlines more if people realized a lot of the recent announcements of $billions in student loan forgiveness likely went to those people with those sort of majors...amounts that you and I pay for in higher taxes.
I apologize for continuing down this tangent from the point of the original post. The billions in student loan forgiveness aren't going to people like you speak of above. Most of the money is split into these large categories:
- 7.3 billion for public servants (teachers, firefighters, nurses, military, etc.)
- 5.8 billion for borrowers with disabilities
- 7.55 billion for borrowers who were defrauded by for profit colleges
(https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/l ... s-it-work/)

That is 20.65 billion. The article does not explain if the other 4.35 billion is for administration of the program or what. Also, 25 billion is approximately 1.5 percent of the $1.6 trillion in student debt so this money is only going to select individuals.

To put this amount in perspective, our defense department is the only government entity that has not passed an accounting audit and our defense spending dwarfs these amounts. (See this link: https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/99796164 ... hange-that). Our 2022 defense budget is 778 billion for defense and that does not include 234 billion for veteran's benefits (2021 figure), so we are looking at over 1 trillion dollars a year here. Per the article, all federal agencies have been under the same requirement to undergo an independent financial audit since the early 1990s but the Pentagon didn't even attempt one until 2017. One might say the massive size of this department makes an audit difficult, but the Department of Health and Human Services, which is also very large, has now undergone a clean audit for 22 years in a row.

Obviously, defense is a necessary expense but the amount of waste here is extreme and there is little doubt, based on the quoted article and others, that it far exceeds 25 billion.
[-X ](*,) #-o :roll:

This forum can do better.