Unprepared hikers

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Unprepared hikers

Post by Gandalf69 »

"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Unprepared hikers

Post by kwhit24 »

Let the pile on begin

Another topic was started on this one a little earlier in the week. Definitely a SMH kinda story though
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

See thread from a couple of days ago ...." Let the pile on begin"

Not much pile on actually....maybe a kinder more gentle 14ers.com nowadays...
tortilla
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tortilla »

Can this be a July fools joke? Please?
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

nyker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:59 am See thread from a couple of days ago ...." Let the pile on begin"

Not much pile on actually....maybe a kinder more gentle 14ers.com nowadays...
i was honestly quite surprised how easy they went on the texas folk
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I was surprised the article mentioned they were from Texas. Like that matters. Actually, I like Texans just fine. Never had an issue with anyone and enjoy anytime I visit or hang with them. I didn't say anything because its pointless. Point was already made in the article.

There are naive, inexperienced, and stupid people everywhere. I was once one of those naive and inexperienced folks. They just don't know any better or bother to think further than that shiny ball. The article is educational in that it points out the dangers of what can happen when you trek off mindlessly into the mountains. Maybe it'll teach just one fool the think twice next time.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

Interesting how it is still socially acceptable to publicly humiliate people who get into trouble in the backcountry. I never see headlines like "little shits from Seattle who thought majoring in theater for $100k was a good idea become baristas at Starbucks" or "dumb teenagers who quit high school to become tiktok content creators end up homeless junkies in San Francisco".
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

dan0rama wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:33 am Interesting how it is still socially acceptable to publicly humiliate people who get into trouble in the backcountry. I never see headlines like "little shits from Seattle who thought majoring in theater for $100k was a good idea become baristas at Starbucks" or "dumb teenagers who quit high school to become tiktok content creators end up homeless junkies in San Francisco".
lmfao
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

you don't know what you don't know
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

dan0rama wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:33 am Interesting how it is still socially acceptable to publicly humiliate people who get into trouble in the backcountry. I never see headlines like "little shits from Seattle who thought majoring in theater for $100k was a good idea become baristas at Starbucks" or...
I imagine you would start seeing those headlines more if people realized a lot of the recent announcements of $billions in student loan forgiveness likely went to those people with those sort of majors...amounts that you and I pay for in higher taxes.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

nyker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:44 am I imagine you would start seeing those headlines more if people realized a lot of the recent announcements of $billions in student loan forgiveness likely went to those people with those sort of majors...amounts that you and I pay for in higher taxes.
Well did they?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

nyker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:44 am
I imagine you would start seeing those headlines more if people realized a lot of the recent announcements of $billions in student loan forgiveness likely went to those people with those sort of majors...amounts that you and I pay for in higher taxes.
I'd rather see headlines on the >$800 billion in PPP loans that are eligible for forgiveness, many of which were fraudulent, rather than the ~$30 billion in student loan forgiveness.
Make wilderness less accessible.