Commercializing your climbing

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Commercializing your climbing

Post by pvnisher »

With all the vitriol towards Dr Jon, and some for WWs book, made me wonder who's commercialized their 14er climbing in the "right" way?

Roach? Davenport?

Obviously it starts with being honest about what you've done or haven't done.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Commercializing your climbing

Post by seano »

Roach. He put in the work, made something broadly useful, and sold it for a fair price.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'd say Bill's done a pretty good job at it, but 14ers.com is a resource, don't think it's much of a revenue generator.

Aron Ralston's solo winter 14ers accomplishment certainly added some legitimacy to 127 hours rather than it being some rando.

Lou Dawson > Gerry Roach.

Also, every f*cking 14ers related sticker/candle/decorative plate on Etsy.
Make wilderness less accessible.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

from the peanut gallery:
honesty and integrity are certainly critical components of achievement, but another factor in correctly "commercializing" anything you're passionate about begins with humility.

the best books i've read, the greatest adventures i've followed, the people i enjoy listening to the most, and the athletes i love to support are humble in success, and without bitterness in defeat. they've done incredible things without seeking constant validation, they don't interject self-worship or unnecessarily repeat praise from others. they don't display false altruism and they are able to summarize what they've done without being boastful. i have read dozens of books and watched even more films/documentaries about amazing men and women doing amazing things who have proved time, and time again that:
  • it's possible to be successful
  • it's possible to be proud of your accomplishments
  • it's possible to inspire and advocate for others
  • it's possible to make a buck
while cultivating a positive following-- where the audience is applauding instead of wielding pitchforks. even in a little, niche place like this forum, there are *dozens* of them- authors, record-setters (and breakers!), ultra-athletes, mountaineers, normal folks, you name it
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

You have a way with words, Steph.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

stephakett wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm honesty and integrity are certainly critical components of achievement, but another factor in correctly "commercializing" anything you're passionate about begins with humility.

the best books i've read, the greatest adventures i've followed, the people i enjoy listening to the most, and the athletes i love to support are humble in success, and without bitterness in defeat.
=D> Great summary! Applies outside of the adventure/athletic realm as well, IMHO