The Alpinist

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The Alpinist

Post by climbingcue »

I watched it after 14 Peaks, I learned about it from the 14 Peaks thread on this forum.

Thank you...
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm Who free solos on ice and mixed climbs? Unbelievable.
People in the PNW.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Jan van Tilburg
14ers: 51 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Jan van Tilburg »

timisimaginary:
" but i think it's more apt to say "he lived doing what he loved." whatever he was doing the day he died, that was just a single day.

Beautifully stated!
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 am
susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm Who free solos on ice and mixed climbs? Unbelievable.
People in the PNW.
Ice and mixed can be super sketch even on a rope. Lot of no falling territory even tho you may get screws in. Free soloing these hard things is almost more "normal" than soloing rock only because doing it on a rope can be almost as gnar!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

FireOnTheMountain wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:13 am
XterraRob wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 am
People in the PNW.
Ice and mixed can be super sketch even on a rope. Lot of no falling territory even tho you may get screws in. Free soloing these hard things is almost more "normal" than soloing rock only because doing it on a rope can be almost as gnar!
Whelp, I learned something today then. Thank you.

I was getting a little sick to my stomach watching some of that film though. I don't know how anyone works up the nerve to do that stuff, though Leclerc did say something about "just spending some casual time outside" (or something like that - not his exact words) so I guess for certain extraordinary people, doing it is less nerve-racking than sitting at home watching other people do it.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Jorts wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:24 am
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:43 am he ended up dying on a roped descent with a partner, killed by an avalanche
Makes me think of Brad Gobright, another prolific soloist killed not soloing but also on descent - rappelling.
RIP Brad. I was lucky enough to meet him through a mutual friend when he gave a talk in NYC.

I watched The Alpinist last night. I am very happy it made its way to Netflix as there were no theaters showing it near me. As someone who loves ice & mixed, and has somewhat of an understanding of what he was climbing...HOLY s**t! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Some of those mixed moves and some of the ice sections that weren't even connected to the wall are actually insane and as Honnold says, nothing like he is doing (rock is much safer).

Soloing ice and mixed is pretty common among alpine climbers as you need to move fast in the mountains and you generally don't want to fall anyway, but most people I know who solo ice are soloing things like Scottish Gully or Spiral Staircase - Martha/Dreamweaver etc... Of course there are the Noah's of the world out there running Free Solo laps on The Rigid Des, but they are few and far between.

I truly appreciated Marc-Andre's approach and mindset and it really resonated with me about how sending a big objective might not actually change your life in the way you expected, but the journey, the experience it gave you, certainly did.

The shots of Robson renewed my interest in getting out there, but I doubt it will happen.

I plan to watch 14 Peaks next, but usually watching things about 8000m peaks just makes me angry, so we will see.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Yeah. In ice climbing, you have a monster jug in your hand at all times, so as long as you're strong enough to hold on, barring objective hazards not much can go wrong. Good ice climbers run out hard sections because placing a screw at a bad stance dramatically increases your chances of falling off, and even short lead falls can maim you. Marc didn't even shake out in the Stanley clip so the climbing was obviously well within his limits (and since he never onsight soloed for cameras, presumably he had prior experience with the route, which is a big deal in mixed climbing), but he was insanely strong regardless.

One person in the film suggested that super out-there solo efforts are the next frontier of alpinism. Maybe so, but as we all know Honnold's amygdala is shorted out, and Marc's risk tolerance was rather greater. I don't think a lifestyle that so willfully embraces unmitigable risk is something to aspire to, though I can't deny I envy those experiences.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

climbingcue wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:34 am I learned about it from the 14 Peaks thread on this forum.
Same, watched it tonight and thought 14 Peaks was impressive. This is a totally different level of whoa!
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Boggy B wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:47 pm Marc didn't even shake out in the Stanley clip so the climbing was obviously well within his limits (and since he never onsight soloed for cameras, presumably he had prior experience with the route, which is a big deal in mixed climbing), but he was insanely strong regardless.
Spurred on by this thread, I finally watched it last night. The Stanley headwall solo was complete bonkers. Up to that point in the movie and perhaps 10min further into it, the word "onsight" was finally used when talking about the Emperor Face I believe. Watching him climb the headwall I was thinking there's no effing way this dude is onsight as he leaves his tool going for that breadloaf sidepull. No thinking at all, who knows maybe he was onsight. One thing for sure as you point out, strong as a mother!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

FireOnTheMountain wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 am Spurred on by this thread, I finally watched it last night. The Stanley headwall solo was complete bonkers. Up to that point in the movie and perhaps 10min further into it, the word "onsight" was finally used when talking about the Emperor Face I believe. Watching him climb the headwall I was thinking there's no effing way this dude is onsight as he leaves his tool going for that breadloaf sidepull. No thinking at all, who knows maybe he was onsight. One thing for sure as you point out, strong as a mother!
I assume he did onsight prior to the filming. But in the clip, he knew where all the holds were, which would be pretty unusual for a mixed onsight. That might have been his third lap.
One thing I couldn't wrap my head around was how they filmed the first Torre Egger sequence as a party of two, unless his partner was also soloing.
Did they say the name of the peak in the intro footage (and also near the end)? Waddington? That was gnarly.
GK83
14ers: 9 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GK83 »

Boggy B wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:28 pm
FireOnTheMountain wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 am Spurred on by this thread, I finally watched it last night. The Stanley headwall solo was complete bonkers. Up to that point in the movie and perhaps 10min further into it, the word "onsight" was finally used when talking about the Emperor Face I believe. Watching him climb the headwall I was thinking there's no effing way this dude is onsight as he leaves his tool going for that breadloaf sidepull. No thinking at all, who knows maybe he was onsight. One thing for sure as you point out, strong as a mother!
Did they say the name of the peak in the intro footage (and also near the end)? Waddington? That was gnarly.
I think the intro footage is Northeast Buttress of Sleese? definitely some of the wildest footage of a climb that can be found...
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

GK83 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 am I think the intro footage is Northeast Buttress of Sleese? definitely some of the wildest footage of a climb that can be found...
Correct, it's the NE Buttress of Slesse. See https://www.climbing.com/news/film-revi ... -alpinist/.