2022 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Re: 2022 Goals

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Rather than give the cosmos another chance to mock me, I'm going to adapt some writing advice I heard about story ideas to stating goals: keep all of 'em between you and whatever medium you're committing them to. The best part to talk about them is after they're done.

Much luck to everyone less plagued by superstition than I!
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Ski one new 14er :-D

](*,)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

TomPierce wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 amPaddling: 2022 is shaping up to be an awful year for river sports, low snowpack = low runoff = low water flow. We'll see. That aside, maybe an early season (April) run down the Yampa, hopefully at >1,000 cfs (we did it a couple of years back at 850, it was OK, not great). An interesting alternative is a packraft sojourn down the Escalante in UT, but that's apparently hard to nail on the cfs, esp in a drought. Again, we'll see...
I'd join you for some paddling trips. Lack of partners/car shuttle has been the biggest obstacle.

I don't think the Escalante will have enough water for good conditions this year. Maybe in an El Niño year.

The Dirty Devil and San Rafael are good when there's enough water, but I don't think it will happen this year.

I'm putting in for a Yampa and San Juan permit. Fingers crossed.

On my list this year are the following if you're interested in those:

Gunnison River-Delta to Grand Junction (Colorado)
San Rafael River (Utah)-probably won't be enough water though.
White River (Colorado, Utah)
Yampa River (Colorado, Utah)-if I can score a permit or find someone who can.
San Juan River (Utah)-if I can score a permit or find someone who can.
Colorado River-Ruby Horsetheif (Colorado, Utah)
Colorado River-Black Canyon (Nevada, Arizona)
Colorado River-Dewey Bridge to Moab (Utah)
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Scott P wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:40 am
TomPierce wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 amPaddling: 2022 is shaping up to be an awful year for river sports, low snowpack = low runoff = low water flow. We'll see. That aside, maybe an early season (April) run down the Yampa, hopefully at >1,000 cfs (we did it a couple of years back at 850, it was OK, not great). An interesting alternative is a packraft sojourn down the Escalante in UT, but that's apparently hard to nail on the cfs, esp in a drought. Again, we'll see...
I'd join you for some paddling trips. Lack of partners/car shuttle has been the biggest obstacle.

I don't think the Escalante will have enough water for good conditions this year. Maybe in an El Niño year.
If an El Niño is what you're after, 2022 is shaping up to be a Warm-Neutral or potentially an El Niño year. It's also very probable that we will have an El Niño during 2023-2024 as well but, that's quite far out.
Be the best you that you can be.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

The Dirty Devil and San Rafael are good when there's enough water, but I don't think it will happen this year.

Scott, Sure, I'm always on the lookout for new river partners. I've done a few of the rivers you've listed (Yampa, a couple of the Colorado sections). I ran across recently (and will send you via PM) an interesting low-water TR on the Escalante. Rekindled my interest. I'd do that with partners or solo; I've mapped out a triangle route that would be feasible when solo, i.e. start and end at the same place with some cross-country travel to negate lack of a shuttle partner. But yeah, I'll send you a PM.

-Tom
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

#1 Stay Healthy

Skiing:

1. Ski a bunch of 13ers in the Elks and SJs
2. Ski at least 1 new 14er, should it actually snow enough this winter and spring
3. Ski every resort/hill in CO
4. Beat my ski days record
5. Travel ski to at least 1 other state (UT/WY)

Hiking:

1. Multiple backpacking trips to the Wemi
2. Get to less than 100 13ers remaining.

Climbing:

1. Continue getting on a rope as much as possible. Beat my 13 routes from 2021.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

love the "stay healthy" goal, and shamelessly stealing it. for me, this means three main points:
1. structured training to avoid over-use injury (warmup, post-workout stretch, not increasing training load too quickly)
2. careful planning and execution to avoid injuries from falls, weather, falling rock, etc...
3. taking care of myself to avoid illness and postpone cardiac issues

beyond that:
1. finish the 14ers with my caveat of "any peak with a Roach designated *classic* will be summitted by one of those routes". (among other challenges, I have to redo Holy Cross by the HC Couloir to meet this)
2. ski my first 14er (I'm a brand new skier)
3. advance climbing skills to where I can lead a multi-pitch outdoor 5.10 confidently expecting to send it (I'm currently where I send about 50% of my gym 5.10's on lead)
Insta: hokiehead
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

If our schedules line up sometime and you are looking for a partner/shuttle, I'd also be up for a river trip. I have an IK and a packraft and usually get on the river at least a couple times a year.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

• 1.) Would love to get within 8-10 peaks of finishing the Frozen Fourteeners
  • 2.) Finish the bi-centennials
  • 3.) Push my rock tech skills higher.
  • 4.) Lead Lizard Head
  • 5.) Get up Turret Ridge (can't lead that one)
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Although I had a perhaps above average year last year, I'm setting the bar pretty low this year:

- Hike again (stupid knee infection... :( )

If I get that goal met it's all downhill (or is that uphill?) from there!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

My goal is to live in the city of eternal love, Paris, France
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Hoooo boy. I am genuinely happy about the things I accomplished from my 2021 list but contemplating 2022 brings up some interesting trains of thought.

#1 Stay Healthy
-average 7.5-8 hours of sleep/night every month
-lose 20 lbs

Peaks
-Get to a total of 160 14er summits (6 seems pretty reasonable BUT I think my total for 2021 was 3?)
-do a fair number of 12ers + 13ers
-finally summit Casco and Ouray
-run Bierstadt

Skifahren/laufen
-some alpine skiing
-at least one hut trip
-35+ days skiing
-visit the Alps
>ski in the Alps
>summit something new in the Alps

Running
-continue relearning to enjoy running again
-run a half marathon
-run a marathon

Miscellany
-visit at least 4 different Colorado outdoor shops between July and September
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried