2021 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2021 Goals

Post by greenonion »

Scott P wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:40 am
TomPierce wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:01 amA good effort: A few 5th class outings, but unlike 2020, no FKA's this year. And I didn't even try Kissing Couple, shame on me!
You did get to do this one though and I got a good photo of you on the route. :wink: That was an interesting climb for sure.

haystack.jpg
Looks like a good avatar photo, Tom. 🙂
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

d_baker wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:38 pm Once again I have no idea where (i.e., in what state) I will be after the holidays this year, so hard to plan for CO mountain goals.
But here's a wish list anyway:

Get to 300 on 13er list (57 to go for ranked; or 23 for ranked/unranked)
I have 25 bicents remaining so I would like to get at least 12-13 of those (ultimate end goal on bicents is to finish on my 50th bday in August 2023)
I porked out in '20, so I should stop that trend and get serious about my health
Start practicing yoga again
Smile a little bit more after January 20th
Hike with Rijaca
I think I will just 'quote' the above to the new 2022 Goals thread....
Although, I did hike with Rijaca recently, and we have a 13er planned for this weekend, so there is that! Winning.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

dr_j wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:05 pm Always good to read what people are trying to accomplish this year. Mine were interrupted last year by travel restrictions and the rona, so hopefully with the vaccine and such I can get back to enjoying those Colorado summers once more. So in no particular order, these are outdoors-related goals:

Stay healthy and employed. I’m mentally drained from the past nine months and have managed to dodge the virus so far. Some of my friends have not been so lucky, and some of my fellow employees have not made it. Been flying around quite a bit lately, although if Omicron gets a nasty foothold, I might ease off on the travel.

Complete the 58. Finished on 9/13! Capped them with LB, Capitol, Snowmass S, and Chicago Basin.

Start the Cents.

Get to 6000 m. Probably the Andes. Nope.

International travel once more, get to a few more countries. I like Latin America.Nope.

Cascade peaks- Hood, Adams, Sisters, Shasta. Snagged Hood and St. Helens in fine weather back in May. Hood was challenging, especially on 30 minutes of sleep. Added South Sister in July in fine weather.

50000+ ft vertical for the year. Well okay, 75000+ is a reasonable goal. Currently at 101 k.

Ski a 14er, or more. And more hiking for turns in general, like about 1/4 to 1/3 of my days on a board. 34 days this season, and about a third were > 1000 feet of hiking. That kept me in reasonable aerobic condition.

More barefoot 14ers, and hiking in general. Added Unc to the list, haven’t worn shoes hiking since the end of September. I guess I’ll have to repeat all 58 now.
IG: jc_solitude
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

More No’s than Yes’s this year…

1. Peak G Ripsaw Ridge Gores No
2. Peak 15 Group (Peak 16 Monitor, Thirteen, Animas) Yes
3. Blanca Gash Ridge No
5. The Sharkstooth RMNP NE Ridge No
6. Petit Grepon RMNP South Face No
7. Spearhead RMNP Northridge No
8. Maroons Bell Cord No
9. Trinity Traverse Yes

10. Forbidden Peak West Ridge, WA No, tried couldn’t get camping permits
11. Baker North Ridge, WA No, tried but the route was melted out. Did Ruth Icy Traverse instead

I would also like to do something international but with Covid who knows. Yes Antisana, Ecuador
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

nmjameswilson wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 am My biggest goal is to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the trips more. I come from Kansas City and climb many days in a row (20 14ers in 21 days this year) and it has taken a toll on my muscles. I would like to finish the 58 as I am currently at 37 but I want to do more trips and relax on them.

1. Relax and enjoy the experience more - I did this and it made the climbing much more fun.
2. Try to finish the 58 while focusing on above #1. I did not get this one completed. I did the below 14 though which I am happy with
3. Climb James Peak to get some glacier experience on St. Marys This will be in the future after finishing the 14ers
4. Get better with my overnight camping weight and supplies. (lessons have been learned) I nailed this with new gear and better packing
5. Continue to climb with friends and make more I did this and met some great people
2021 Trip 1:
August 1: Mt. Lindsay
August 4: Sunlight/Windom/Mt. Eolus/North Eolus
August 7: Mt. Wilson
August 9: Castle/Conundrum
August 12: Crestone Needle/Peak
August 13: Humboldt

2021 Trip 2:
August 25th - Little Bear Peak
August 26th - Ellingwood/Blanca
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Ed_Groves wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 am When I read the goals of AnnaG22 and Scott P at the beginning of this thread I realized how meager my goals are compared to some of the "beasts" on this forum. As a 60 year old flatlander from Kansas City MO and a neophyte who just started hiking 13ers and 14ers in 2020, I have a long way to go. Be that as it may, these are my Colorado hiking goals for 2021.

1. Continue my aerobic training with three HIIT workouts interspersed with my standard aerobic
workouts and weightlifting every week. (Completed but cut back on the HIIT in the middle of the year to do more aerobic work.)
2. Get out to Colorado three different weeks this summer through autumn for hiking. (Only made it two weeks.)
3. Hike Mt Sherman and complete the Mosquito range. (Completed.)
4. Complete the following Sawatch 14ers: Mt Massive (southwest slopes), Mt Harvard, Mt Elbert,
and Mt Princeton. (Due to the 2021 road closure to N. Half Moon Trailhead I decided to do two other mountains other than Elbert and Massive. I completed
Mt Princeton, Mt Yale, and Mt Harvard / Mt Columbia via the traverse.)

5. Complete the following Front range 14ers: Torrey's Peak, Mt Evans, and Mt Bierstadt. (Due to failing on item 2, I didn't complete these peaks.)
6. Complete 13er Grizzly Peak D at Loveland Pass. (Also failed to complete due to failing on item 2 above.)
7. Help my wife complete a 14er on a trip planned for next September. She is seven years older
than I and came close, but failed this past summer. I have picked out some routes that I hope
will help her achieve this goal: Mt Bross (East Slopes from Mineral Park), Mt Lincoln (East
Slopes), Mt Democrat (standard) and/or Mt Sherman (standard). (Completed. Also added a number of relatively easy 13ers, some with my wife and some
without - Horseshoe Mtn, Peerless Peak, Pennsylvania Mtn, Peak 10, Crystal Peak A, and Father Dyer Peak.)
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Kind of an odd year this year. Mostly no's from below, but here's to 2022!
dwoodward13 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:48 am Here's to everyone completing their goals in 2021!

1. Have fun and be safe! Yes!
2. Finish the Centennials on the 10th year anniversary of my first one (Longs, 8/5/2011). Have Jagged and Meeker left. Made an attempt at Jagged in late Sept but ended up with some ankle issues after knocking out the bicents in Vestal Basin. Still at 98/100.
3. Evans and Quandary snowflake and maybe few others Only new snowflake was Massive with repeat snowflakes of G&T
4. More pure backpack/fly fishing/photography trips Did have a few car camping only trips!
5. Didn't do any trail work projects in 2020 due to limited opportunities, going to change that this year! No trailwork this season
6. Repeat 14ers with those doing a peak for their first time Yes! Multiple outings for this including leading 2 CMC trips with several first timers
7. Have fun and be safe! Yes!
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Not bad for a busy summer.

Cathedral Peak as a snow climb in the spring (Fail)
Get out to Chicago Basin to knock off some Centennials (Fail)
Fall Gathering (Success)
Happy Hours when they resume (Got out to one)
Finish Sangre de Cristo Centennials (Success)
Finish 10 mile Centennials (Success)
Finish Sawatch Centennials (Success)
Finish Elk Centennials (Fail, but I'm down to 1)
One of the two great traverses I have left (Fail)
Stay healthy (Success)
Century Bound, eventually.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:55 am
Stay healthy (Success)
:thumbup:
Aim high to end high
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:34 pm I am just superstitious enough to be moderately convinced that I’m jinxing myself by posting anything at all, especially #1, but...

1. 12 more fourteeners, which would bring me to 58/58
Why can't I ever be clairvoyant about useful things like lottery numbers or stock market fluctuations... Yeah, this didn't happen.
2. Summit a fourteener in December (...preferably *this* December, which makes this more of a Giving 2020 One Last Chance to Not Totally Suck goal) and April, as those are the only two months in which I haven’t climbed one.
Edit: as of 12/9, 2020 doesn’t totally suck! Thank you, Bierstadt, for your relative ease and reliability!
Second edit, 5/1: as of 4/29, I have now summited a fourteener in each month of the year! Thank you, Quandary, for your accessibility!
3. Ski at least one fourteener. Which is a holdover goal from last year and proof that the best 2020 can hope for is only achieving 99.9999...% suckage.
Edit, 5/1: Thanks for the twofer...1.5er?..., Quandary!
Ahhh, how sweet things looked at the beginning of the year!
4. Hit a 13k+’ summit every month. Bonus points if it’s a Cent.
Also didn't wind up happening for the same reason linked under Goal #1. Have at least revived the tradition once I was able to use my shattered foot again, though I did use the time when I pretty much couldn't do *anything* to determine that IDGAF about Centennials (at least, not those under 14k').
5. Get at least a few of the thousands or so story ideas out of my head and onto some medium where they can be shared with others. You’d think all the time I’ve spent stuck inside this year would’ve been good for my writing. You’d be wrong.
I got EVEN MORE time stuck inside this year than last, and doing so much as sitting up for too long hurt during that time period, so not much writing there, either.

However, once I could use my laptop for its intended purpose once again, I did make some headway on this, though I need to do some edits before I start the "sharing with others" part, so some success there!
ETA:
6. 12 new fourteener snowflakes. I got 5 last year and then 5 new fourteeners from spring-fall. Clearly there is such a direct correlation that it is actually a causal relationship. No word yet on how it works if one or more snowflakes are also new fourteeners, but I am kinda curious...
All peaks I'd previously summited in summer, but never before in winter, so... Booyah, as the kids used to say back when I was one!
7. I have a snowflake listed for Mt. Flora. I found out in recent months that what I actually snowflaked was Flora’s subsummit. I either need to tag the actual summit this winter or remove my snowflake, and I know which one I’d rather do...at least, right now, when I’m lounging on my comfy couch in my (somewhat :p ) insulated home vs. actually slogging through snow and wind above treeline.
Edit as of 12/30: Got this one knocked out before 2021 even rolled in! :D
Again, it wasn't *all* bad. Buuuuuut enough of 2021 was overtaken by what I can say with absolute conviction were the hands-down worst 9 weeks of my life while I was not allowed to bear weight on my left foot that it really overshadowed all the positives.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

daway8 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:38 pm
- Ramp up snowflake count, especially 14ers (currently 10 & 10 for 14ers/13ers – doubling both would be awesome but very much a “stretch” goal).
Status: Success - more or less. Total of 23 winter summits: 11 new 13er flakes, 1 repeat (that part solid success); 8 new 14er flakes, 3 repeats (since the repeats were part of helping others achieve their goals I'm counting that as close enough)

- Complete several extra routes/laps of different Flatirons climbs (been loving the Royal Arch, Freeway and Buckets, but need to upgrade my climbing to move on with the long-term goal of being comfortable enough to take on the harder 13er/14er peaks/routes).
Status: Success - did lots of new and repeat routes and even a little rappelling!

- Get more time practicing in the climbing gym and possibly take a class or two to up my climbing skills.
Status: Succeeded with all this but then fizzled when the auto-belays were taken down

- Next summer (if not sooner) crank up big on 13ers (currently at 69. Stretch goal would be 100 but that’s probably a pretty big stretch for me, unless I get on a roll with peak clusters).
Status: Success - hit and surpassed my stretch goal with a total of 102!!! Woohoo!!!

- Also most likely a summer or later goal, do some more fun ridge scrambles like I did this past summer and up the ante with increasingly challenging routes.
Status: Success - had some interesting and challenging routes though perhaps not quite as many as I had thought of

- Resume travelling to Haiti once conditions permit (ok, not mountain related per se although it’s known as the land of “mountains beyond mountains.”)

- Carry on the momentum I’ve started to build of being less of a loner by actually teaming up with folks at times.
Status: Success - interacted with a lot more people this year (even Captain America!) and helped my most consistent climbing partner on the road to recovery.

- Possibly try to team up with some more highly experienced/skilled climbers to help me safely tackle harder peaks/routes.
Status: Limited success - did a little bit of this but not quite as much as I had in mind.
So overall I'm declaring 2021 a success goal-wise \:D/ despite crashing and burning at the tail end with some freaky knee infection that has seen me not even be able to stay on my feet throughout a full day :( So I'm glad I started strong to balance out this complete fizzle of an ending. Despite that, it's cool looking back over what I did get done this year!
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

AnnaG22 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:59 pm We kicked off the 2020 goals thread in December of 2019, so let's get rolling on 2021!

Mine:
Get to a total of 160 CO 14er summits. >NOPE. maybe next year.
Finally do my 20th 14er snowflake. Got a bunch of 13erflakes this past winter, but no 14ers. I have no intentions of doing all the 14ers in calendar winter, but I'd like to eventually have done at least 25 of them in calendar winter. >YES
At least one more 14er ski descent. >NOPE
A couple 13er skis. >NOPE
>ski Grizzly couloir. Been dreaming about that ski line for years. >NOOOOPE
Do 18+ new 13ers, including finally doing Casco Peak and Mount Ouray. >NOPE
Ski 30+ days. >YEP
Run another marathon. >YEP
Run another ultra. >voluntary DNF at 40 miles...so kind of?
Run at least 1,000 miles. >YEP
Run a half marathon 1h45 or faster. >HAHAHAHAHA NOPE
At least 2 more summits outside of Colorado. >YEP, 5!!!
Get a COVID vaccine sooner rather than later. >YEP x3
EDIT: Do at least one more 14er with my mom (she has done 12 unique, 16 total). >another goose egg

EDIT 2: sort of mountain-related. I already have made a habit of trying to only fly once per year for my carbon footprint. I intend to continue that aspiration but am committing to purchasing carbon offsets for any flights I take starting next year. It matters. The last 3 times I've flown have all taken me to/from places with dying glaciers. Some irony there.
I got some good successes in there, but a lot of these goals got annihilated by ultratraining, work, and a passion project. Just under the 50% mark for the above list. I did get a couple of things I hadn't included on the list, like a backpacking trip and a couple 12ers I'd been eyeing for years. A lot of personal growth and exploration this year. Looking forward to doing some more dream chasing next year.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried