Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Your Top 5 Bands and/or Musicians of all Time

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

mspin99 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:57 pm
greenonion wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:06 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:44 pm You know, I love Pink Floyd and respect the hell out of Roger Waters. But damn, David Gilmour is the glue that made them what they were. He can play a guitar as well as anyone. ANYONE, all caps.

Even old Gilmour if freaking amazing. Here from Pompeii is one of the best concerts ever. If only I could have seen that show.

Absolutely agree. Just heard There’s No Way Out of Here (solo work) in the vehicle today. Great guitarist.
If you guys love Floyd and particularly Gilmour, you should check out 'Live at Robert Wyatt's Meltdown'...my favorite live work of Gilmour, which is saying a lot. Trying to link it in YouTube...hopefully it works.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:44 pm You know, I love Pink Floyd and respect the hell out of Roger Waters. But damn, David Gilmour is the glue that made them what they were. He can play a guitar as well as anyone. ANYONE, all caps.

Even old Gilmour if freaking amazing. Here from Pompeii is one of the best concerts ever. If only I could have seen that show.

Absolutely agree. Just heard There’s No Way Out of Here (solo work) in the vehicle today. Great guitarist.
If you guys love Floyd and particularly Gilmour, you should check out 'Live at Robert Wyatt's Meltdown'...my favorite live work of Gilmour, which is saying a lot. Trying to link it in YouTube...hopefully it works.
[YouTubeVideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPAulrLacdM[/YouTubeVideo]
Since I have been the beneficiary of youtube video help on this site... Just use the code at the end of the youtube link to insert in between these thingys: [YouTubeVideo] (code) [/YouTubeVideo] Can't wait to watch this video, and thanks for sending - Shine On!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Here's my playlist for top songs I've heard released in 2021 (1 per artist)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/55nhz ... 9c7d05486f

Thanks to brichardsson for posting Desperate Journalist. I've really taken to that entire album, 'Maximum Sorrow!'.

The tunes I'm digging the most right now are "In the Stone" by The Goon Sax. They only have one other song "Psychic" that I like though.
"Grand National" by Courting is pretty awesome. "Whisper" by Ty Segall is the best on the new album, but I'm not digging that album nearly as much
as his 2018 double album "Freedom's Goblin". "Summer Sun" by Matt Berry is another highlight - if I had a convertible on the 101 in Cali, I'd be cranking this. "Personal Shopper" by Steven Wilson (previously of Porcupine Tree, you Pink Floyd people should really check them out) is a fave as well. The single was released way early in 2020, but the album didn't get released until this year. Elton John makes a guest appearance (speaking role) on that one.

EDIT: Porcupine Tree starter kit:

Even Less - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKuHP_7J9zc
Trains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHwkfhwjsk
She's Moved On - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d-EzdhLpnw
Last edited by 12ersRule on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Sometimes you can't beat the spontaneous stuff.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
mspin99
14ers: 53 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mspin99 »

greenonion wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:45 am

[YouTubeVideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPAulrLacdM[/YouTubeVideo]
Since I have been the beneficiary of youtube video help on this site... Just use the code at the end of the youtube link to insert in between these thingys: [YouTubeVideo] (code) [/YouTubeVideo] Can't wait to watch this video, and thanks for sending - Shine On!
Thanks for the tip. I’m obviously technologically challenged when it comes to this site…
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

I know we have some Rush fans here -- anyone else going to Mission Ballroom to see Primus perform Farewell to Kings?

Insta: hokiehead
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Anyone go to that Primus show? If I lived closer than 300 miles from the venue, I would have been there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koO35JqBQMI
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead »

Wentzl wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:33 pm Anyone go to that Primus show? If I lived closer than 300 miles from the venue, I would have been there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koO35JqBQMI
yeah man! I was there Thursday night.
PXL_20211022_025342973.MP.jpg
PXL_20211022_025342973.MP.jpg (104.27 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Insta: hokiehead
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Re: The Ballad of Deuces Wild

Post by Brian Thomas »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 amif I had a convertible on the 101 in Cali, I'd be cranking this
Another Deuce song for the Deuces. Do you remember that time we skied at Crested Butte, and *ALL* of the terrain on the mountain was open *EXCEPT* for the Crested Butte summit (2,582 feet of prominence)? How crestfallen you were, being so close, and being denied the glory of all that prominence?

I remember. And I wanted to remind you, just in case you forgot. I've been up there three times, BTW. So here's a song to listen to while you reminisce about the day you did not summit Crested Butte. Enjoy!

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Good tune, Brian! It was a sad day, even Rambo with its 50-degree plus slopes, rocks sticking out and all, was open. Speaking of Rambo, here's one of my faves by Sly and the Family Stone.

Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:54 amIt was a sad day
Have a Twofer Tuesday to cheer yourself up with:

"What's your reason for existence?
Do you believe in anything?"

subhumans.jpg
subhumans.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Have to say, I was first introduced to the Police when my buddy's dad way back in the day would drive us to go skiing. Dude would blast entire CDs on the way back home in the parking lot i-70 (all while we were trying to sleep, exhausted after the day and early wake up), chain smoking the whole time. :lol:

I didn't quite appreciate it then but have since grown wise to his ways....about the tunes that is.

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?