Most famous person you've ever met?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Most famous person you've ever met?

Post by Jay521 »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm
Jay521 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm And I would also add that actually I had a date with Kelly Harmon when I was in college @ CU in the 60's. Naturally, I didn't meet her criteria for a second date so I was pretty much a one and done...
I had to google Kelly Harmon...she's the Tic Tac mints lady! Her loss, Jay.
Among other things, Kelly is the daughter of Tom Harmon - football great of the 40's, and her brother is Mark Harmon the actor. Pam Dawber (of Mork and Mindy fame) is her sister-in-law. She was also married to John DeLorean for a few years. Like I said - her sights were set on bigger fish than me.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
tjf242424
14ers: 58 
13ers: 359
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjf242424 »

In the world of climbing, I met Charlie Fowler on Aconcagua and we talked for a while. I also shared rappels with Conrad Anker coming off of El Cap once. I've met a lot of famous climbers over the years. Huber Brothers camped next to us in Camp 4 before and after their speed climb on El Cap.

Outside of climbing, I watched Tyson vs Holyfield II with Brooks Robinson, the hall of famer who played for the Orioles. I had some friends in college who lived in a luxury condo building. Brooks happened to live there too. We were moving my TV from my apartment to theirs, since I had a better TV, and Brooks got on the elevator. He asked what we were doing with the TV and we told him we were ordering the fight on pay-per-view. He said, "Maybe I'll stop by." And he did. And he brought beer. That's my best famous person story.
Last edited by tjf242424 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Jay521 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm Most of the famous climbers I've met are active members on this site - too many to mention (you know who you are...)

Outside of that, I would list Richard Feynman and Frank Oppenheimer (who was a college prof of mine), Van Cliburn and Olga Kern as some very memorable famous people I've had the pleasure of meeting. And I would also add that actually I had a date with Kelly Harmon when I was in college @ CU in the 60's. Naturally, I didn't meet her criteria for a second date so I was pretty much a one and done...
I heard Cliburn in one of his rare post-“retirement” appearances. He ducked out in a stealth fashion after a crowd waited backstage, so I never got to meet him. Unfortunately forgotten today, but he really helped break the ice during the Cold War.
IG: jc_solitude
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Shook Bill Clinton's hand one time, met Ladybird Johnson (relative of a friend.)

Played basketball against Jamie Foxx one time
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Burkart
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Burkart »

Sat with Harry Smith, the former CBS News anchor, at a scholarship luncheon back in college - I was a religious devotee of the nightly news as a middle and high schooler, so that was pretty cool.

My mom's cousin is a musician married to T.G. Sheppard - he seemed a bit disappointed that we didn't know who he was when we met him. :lol:

Shared an awkward nod with Cormac McCarthy at the Santa Fe Institute while I was buttering a croissant - once again, had no idea who he was, but put two and two together when I heard the office gossip later. Honestly, this one was disappointing in hindsight, since it was only later that I discovered his works.

More importantly, I'm work friends with WVMountaineer's wife, who has basically ascended to D-list celebrity status with her recent profiles on the corporate page and in a REAL MAGAZINE! =D>
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Mountains….Russell Brice, Vern Tejas, Conrad Anker, Nims, Peter Whitaker

Other…Willie Nelson, David Bowie, Sinbad, Judy Collins, Carol Burnett, Lou Holtz, Jim Lovell, Linda Carter, Jerry Jeff Walker, Kenny Rodgers. A bunch more but I can’t remember them all. My first career was in the hotel business.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
summit2sea
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summit2sea »

Mohammad Ali.

Standing in my Dress Blues for a Marine Birthday Ball in LA. I'm talking to some friends in the hotel lobby when I realize they aren't looking at me but at my right shoulder. Turn and standing next to me is the great one and his wife. He had deteriorated enough that he wasn't talking, but seeing my jaw hit the floor, he gave me a wink, a tap on the shoulder and then proceeded on to where ever he was going. Unbelievable moment in my life.
timisimaginary
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i once ran into Jay and Silent Bob in a cereal bar in Philadelphia.
yes, a cereal bar.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:46 pm i once ran into Jay and Silent Bob in a cereal bar in Philadelphia.
yes, a cereal bar.
I would love to meet someone famous like timisimaginary. If that’s even possible :shock: :-D
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

summit2sea wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm Mohammad Ali.

Standing in my Dress Blues for a Marine Birthday Ball in LA. I'm talking to some friends in the hotel lobby when I realize they aren't looking at me but at my right shoulder. Turn and standing next to me is the great one and his wife. He had deteriorated enough that he wasn't talking, but seeing my jaw hit the floor, he gave me a wink, a tap on the shoulder and then proceeded on to where ever he was going. Unbelievable moment in my life.
Great story
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

greenonion wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:01 pm
summit2sea wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm Mohammad Ali.

Great story
+1
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
timisimaginary
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

greenonion wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:59 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:46 pm i once ran into Jay and Silent Bob in a cereal bar in Philadelphia.
yes, a cereal bar.
I would love to meet someone famous like timisimaginary. If that’s even possible :shock: :-D
it is. just ask Jay and Silent Bob.
well, ask Jay at least.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin