Why did you move to Colorado?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Why did you move to Colorado?

Post by Scott P »

For transplants, why did you move to Colorado?

My reason was perhaps a little bit ironic. I moved from the Salt Lake Metro to Colorado (Fruita) in order to be closer to southern Utah. I guess I can tell people I moved from Utah to Colorado to be closer to Utah. Ironically I ended up in Craig after only a few years, but now I'm back to Grand Jnction.

Anyway, I'm from Washington and then our family moved to Chicago, but I spent most of my time growing up in Utah. I have also lived a short stint in Wyoming.

So, why did you move to Colorado?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Why did you move to Colorado?

Post by PJ88 »

Got a job with a really good company in the industry to progress my career. Also wanted to live in a bigger city and have been an avalanche fan since I was 8 so it worked out.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

My ex wife got a job. I wanted to come here anyways, that just helped.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

To get away from the 100 degree heat in Texas
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

cougar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 pm To get away from the 100 degree heat in Texas
Apparently you brought it with you. ;)
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I attended college in colorado. After graduation, I took my first job in New Orleans working a 14 on/14 off schedule. I would spend my days off going to the early matinee by myself and waiting for my friends to get off work or out of school. Since I don't drink booze, there wasn't a lot for me to do. I moved to Utah on my days off to ski ('08 season in Alta had over 700 inches of snow!). Met my wife in Utah, moved to Texas, back to Utah and finally settled here because of my old job. We're now more or less "stuck" here since we don't want to uproot our kids. Colorado checks off a lot on our list - good skiing, access to a decent airport (meaning destinations served), mountains and well paying jobs.

Scott, I would like to eventually end up on the western slope, desert access is the main driver. I've lived in 9 different states - Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Texas, Utah. If you combine time served in college and my current stint, Colorado has been the state I have lived in the longest (going on 12 years). Minnesota is 2nd @ 10 years.
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

I moved for work but I made a concerted effort to get here. I was a plant engineer for Cargill and when they announced a new JV headquartered in Denver I jumped divisions and worked my way here (after some short stays in other states). I spent my first 22 years in Ohio, and my family was never able to travel much. I did a coast to coast road trip with some friends when I was 20 and it changed my life. I always had a passion for the outdoors, but after that I knew I needed to get out of the Rust Belt and explore. I’ve been here for 5 years now and can’t imagine moving out of the inter mountain West. My wife and I plan on moving “further up and further in” eventually.
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

I grew up in Casper, Wyoming. I moved to Boulder in 2012 to go to CU for an astrophysics degree. I was fortunate to get a job at CU as a student that morphed into a professional role doing solar science data analysis after I graduated. That job has since ended and I'm trying to get a similar job in/near Boulder. My entire lifestyle is based around being a mountain athlete & ski racer so I have no intention of leaving anytime soon.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I moved to Colorado because I was 13 and my parents moved here, so of course.

15 years later I'm still here, and I can't thank them enough.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

When my job ended on the east coast I was given a 32 week severence and up to 26 weeks of unemployment. So basically I was paid to leave the crappy state I was in. I was only looking for jobs in Colorado. Since I could not move to Switzerland, Colorado was my best option. So 4.5 years later I am happy I was finally able to make it work. Mountains and snow are why I am here. If either of those were not here, there is no way I would be here. It would be just like the middle of the country where no one wants to live.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Originally, it was to be close to Moab and southern Utah (and the San Juan Mountains around Ouray/Silverton) since I was really into 4-wheeling and rock-crawling back then. Funny (and sad) how I try to avoid going to and driving through Moab these days...
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
TheRealRooster
14ers: 6  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheRealRooster »

I moved to CO to climb mountains and ski.

The better question is "why did you leave CO?" Since I didn't move to bigger and better mountains... I'm still sort of trying to figure that one out.