Conditions on Dallas Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions on Dallas Peak?

Post by pak »

Has anyone climbed Dallas Peak recently? I am seeking any beta on conditions, and especially any info regarding the 4th class gully and the 5th class summit pitch.
Phil
alexhenes
14ers: 58  18  5 
13ers: 720 60 5
Trip Reports (72)

Re: Conditions on Dallas Peak?

Post by alexhenes »

I am also interested in this. I am guessing that there is still plenty on snow on the pitch below the 5th class to the summit.
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

I will have to attach photos later as I am at work, but from the north it looked like the ramp that leads to the 5th class pitch might have snow on it still. The south side still has some snow patches to deal with too, although I think they could be managed.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
pak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

sdkeil:

Thanks for the beta. Looking at pictures from the Telluride area, your assessment makes sense. If you have a chance to post a photo, great; if not, no worries.
Phil
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Looks like Dallas is your Cent finisher. Good luck pak. Gain the summit.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
pak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

JChitwood,

Yes, Dallas is my last Centennial. I have limited time away from work and I've been thwarted the past couple of years due to the monsoon season. Hopefully I'll summit this year!
Phil
WarDamnPanic
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

I took some pics last weekend from Sneffels Highline Trail, I can post some tonight. I remember some snow on the route though.
WarDamnPanic
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

This is from last weekend.

pak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

Thanks for the post - this helps.

BTW - awesome pic!
Phil
laswa-guide
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 136
Trip Reports (0)

Post by laswa-guide »

Bump. Anyone been up Dallas Pk this season?
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Got to the cliff base on the south face a few days ago. No signs of snow and the weather has been above freezing for quite some time.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
pak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

Dallas s completely snow-free, including the north face. There is a bit of snow under the car-sized chockstone.
Phil